Evan's boat projects: floor replacement

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Picked this boat up from a friend earlier this year to use as my quick n easy ride for my local Columbia and Willamette River programs.

Been using it like crazy, so had to prioritize replacing the original plywood floors after the season came to an end. After my trip out yesterday, I started the teardown process.

Here's what's coming out. Took this Pic after already removing some of the bow storage panels.
1000003766.jpg

Now my first challenge: getting these floors out in one piece so I can use them to stencil the new ones. Instead of being fastened by screws, looks like it's rivets, which I've never worked with.

1000003767.jpg

Denwor54

Life of the Party
Hey Evan those are pull rivets you can drill them out easily with the right size bit. Drill from the button side or top try a .187 .190 single margin bit, you want to drill two thirds down but not all the way thru. Use a steel punch and a hammer and tap out what is left and button will stick to the punch. Not sure what the hole size is for the pop rivet probably .226 or .254 once you get them drilled out the whole panel will come out. And if you don’t blow out the holes they are easy to reinstall and if needed you can always upsize if needed.

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
Hey Evan those are pull rivets you can drill them out easily with the right size bit. Drill from the button side or top try a .187 .190 single margin bit, you want to drill two thirds down but not all the way thru. Use a steel punch and a hammer and tap out what is left and button will stick to the punch. Not sure what the hole size is for the pop rivet probably .226 or .254 once you get them drilled out the whole panel will come out. And if you don’t blow out the holes they are easy to reinstall and if needed you can always upsize if needed.
Too technical. Just take a sledge hammer to it @Evan B 😁

Denwor54

Life of the Party
I wish I lived closer I would help you with the removal and sorry for giving to much detail. They really are simple to remove and reinstall just need the tools and make sure your drill bit size is undersized to the fastener size.

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
I wish I lived closer I would help you with the removal and sorry for giving to much detail. They really are simple to remove and reinstall just need the tools and make sure your drill bit size is undersized to the fastener size.
I was being a smart ass. Your advice was spot on and I'm sure @Evan B appreciates it🍻

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Drill out should be easy, oversizeed bit so it just removes the head.
looks beamy with high freeboard..what hull?
MDO for the replacement floor?

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Drill out should be easy, oversizeed bit so it just removes the head.
looks beamy with high freeboard..what hull?
MDO for the replacement floor?
Yeah it's really wide and deep. Perfect for the Columbia here.

It's a Northwood, which is just a SmokerCraft that was built for cabelas in the early 2000s.

While at it, I'm going to also reconfigure everything near the back including removing the live well which I have no use for. Plan on putting my new 12gal gas tank in that area it'd free up.

CRO

Steelhead
Looks like you will need at least 2sheets of marine grade plywood if the bottom is wider than 48 inches. take lots of money with you when you go to lumber yard. Its muchh easier to replace if you can use the old pieces for a pattern.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Looks like you will need at least 2sheets of marine grade plywood if the bottom is wider than 48 inches. take lots of money with you when you go to lumber yard. Its muchh easier to replace if you can use the old pieces for a pattern.
Yup, prepared for both. Going to keep them as intact as I possibly can. I think I'm probably going to need 4 sheets due to the width of the boat. The sheets will need to go length-wise from side to side vs front to back.

Denwor54

Life of the Party
Like thinking carpet is an acceptable thing to put in a fishing boat
You should look at some of the materials that they use for garage flooring my brother in law refloored his sled with the material. When he gets back from a trip I will ask him what he used. There are many options out there and I agree carpet is not realistic for long term use.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
You should look at some of the materials that they use for garage flooring my brother in law refloored his sled with the material. When he gets back from a trip I will ask him what he used. There are many options out there and I agree carpet is not realistic for long term use.
I've checked it out a bit. I think bang for buck, marine vinyl is pretty hard to beat. It also has better long term uv protection.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
last wood floor project I helped on, owner replaced them with MDO primed and painted all sides and edges, final topcoat with Totalboat TotalTread...that was decade ago, when I fished on the boat last fall, floors still looked go to go.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
last wood floor project I helped on, owner replaced them with MDO primed and painted all sides and edges, final topcoat with Totalboat TotalTread...that was decade ago, when I fished on the boat last fall, floors still looked go to go.
Yeah I've been considering that route, too. That's the other main option I'm considering vs marine vinyl.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I'm taking solace in the fact that reconstruction will be simpler than this demolition. Turns out the soft floors are pretty well adhered to the foam underneath, making them very difficult to peel off.

There's also certain obstacles that are riveted to the hull like the rod holder brackets, and the side console things along the rear 1/4 of the boat.

Today pulled up the front floor piece and almost got the live well out.

1000003782.jpg