Dudes caught cheating in a fishing tournament

Jim in Anacortes

Life of the Party
A quick google search for "Mike Long bass fishing" will surely enlighten most people to the king of tournament fishing cheaters...Mike Long. This man made it his business to defraud the bass fishing industry. He was quite famous, and made tons of money. Many of us local Southern California bass fisherman (and lake managers) suspected he was cheating, long before he was busted red handed. His fraud was slightly more "inventive" than simply stuffing fish with lead weights. It has been said that he did such things as...Kept trophy bass in tanks in his garage to be placed in his boat's live wells on the morning of a tournament...Placed previously caught bass tied to stumps at the lake prior to the tournament......Caught bass on a lake known for super heavy bass and took them to other lakes to claim them as his new "Lake record". Some even told stories of him placing wire mesh boxes stuffed with crawdads, that could slowly escape. After a couple of days, (just before the tournament), the dominant bass would be waiting for Mike to pull up and cast out a crawdad..... Perhaps this is all just "folklore" stemming from his arrest,,,, but he definitely brought it upon himself.

Last edited:

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
an impressive amount of guns surrounding the house.
yeah, I was wondering about that too. Probably just a bunch of officers wanting to be "in" on the big bust that has gotten so much attention. Tell their fishing buddies "see, that was me in the background!"

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Tasting one usually makes people more interested in catching them..
Tread Drift: Exactly, Rob. Walleye aren’t known for their fighting ability but they sure are fine fine table fare, I prefer walleye to halibut.

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
Damn.

Just think if we were this tough on all criminals.

Cheating in a fishing tournament is about the most blue collar crime I can think of. So this story fits the pattern:

Blue collar crime, do the time. White collar crime you’ll be fine.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter