Dudes caught cheating in a fishing tournament

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
How does it suck for those guys?
It sucks to be them right now! I wouldn't want my name plastered all over creation as a lying cheater. But here they are. To me, it's a surprising amount of attention paid to cheating in a mid-high level freshwater angling tournament--I mean, WaPo, NYTtimes, etc within a day or two? But it has a compelling video associated with it and the story appears to have real legs. What they did is despicable, but usually something like that isn't going to be national/international news.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
It sucks to be them right now! I wouldn't want my name plastered all over creation as a lying cheater. But here they are. To me, it's a surprising amount of attention paid to cheating in a mid-high level freshwater angling tournament--I mean, WaPo, NYTtimes, etc within a day or two? But it has a compelling video associated with it and the story appears to have real legs. What they did is despicable, but usually something like that isn't going to be national/international news.

Society has slunk pretty low. We actually revere cheaters and scammers these days. Integrity is a weight which holds good men back from becoming great these days. That coupled with the fact Americans love a turnaround story. We will fully walk over good people to lay praise on the ex dirtbag made good. If they cry like Jimmy Swaggart post hooker rendezvous Americans loose their shit trying to congratulate them. I predict these guys will host a fishing show or endorse some product. And if they find Jesus, man the sky is the limit

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
But some good men/people do sleep well at night.

Not sure the others do…. But your point is well made. Good people are smart. And smart people won’t put themselves out there to be put under a microscope of every action/word done/said or be ridiculed on social media. Or have their family exposed to ridiculous things these days. Why would you? Thick skin means little these days.
It’s about your rating/ trending path on social media these days…. Not meaning to go scientific but substance and matter was thrown out long ago….imho.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
I'm pretty surprised about the mileage this story is getting nationally, even internationally apparently. Sucks for those guys.
I was blissfully ignorant and could care less about tourney walleye fishing, until the OP.

Great thing is… I really could care less about walleye fishing. 😉

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Sorry about the thread drift, those need their own invasive walleye notice thread.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
This story has some very looooong legs

"2 days ago — According to the Daily Mail, Chase Cominsky and Jake Runyon had their catch ... he sold his entire mansion to his wife for $100."

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
It's amazing that fish with that much weight inside them would eat those great guys lures.... :D