Deals at online Retailers

Scslat

Anadromous Angler
Forum Supporter
Just took a risk on the Edge Rods. Bought the 7126 spey for about $200 :rolleyes:. We'll see...... Also bought a 500 gr line from Cortland to go with it (no concerns there).

Divad

Whitefish
Has anyone used the Simms Watershed Waders?

I see they’re on sale for not much more than the Freestones I was going to buy. With the added benefit of made in USA, donation program and Goretex.

D167D2A0-C767-4D3E-A843-07698B35B3AD.jpeg

mickey rat

Vermin
Costa sunglasses is having their Black Friday sale on now. 30-50% off on some items. I ordered a new pair of RX progressives in celebration of my vision improving by half over the last ten years. Not Lasik, but one of the few benefits of desiccating with age. 🙄

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Just took a risk on the Edge Rods. Bought the 7126 spey for about $200 :rolleyes:. We'll see...... Also bought a 500 gr line from Cortland to go with it (no concerns there).
I'll be curious how you like it. Several times I've almost pulled the trigger on the 8wt switch but keep reminding myself why I no longer have a 2 hander, it was just collecting dust...

Scslat

Anadromous Angler
Forum Supporter
I'll be curious how you like it. Several times I've almost pulled the trigger on the 8wt switch but keep reminding myself why I no longer have a 2 hander, it was just collecting dust...
I live in BC and have been trying to improve my Spey game this year. I'll post something after I've fished it a few times. And maybe find someone who's actually a good Spey fisherman to give their opinion too.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Been there. 20 years ago bought the long rod. Took lessons and all. It was fun for a bit, but after a short time it was easier with minus ten foot rods… plus I struggled landing fish in a safe manner when I was fishing alone with the long rod. But now I’m getting back in to it via the switch rod way and so far I like it on the larger rivers. Shoulders appreciate it too. But the other thing is 20 or so years ago the line selection to these long rods was dismal compared to today. Lots of lines to make your set up sing. Imho

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Been there. 20 years ago bought the long rod. Took lessons and all. It was fun for a bit, but after a short time it was easier with minus ten foot rods… plus I struggled landing fish in a safe manner when I was fishing alone with the long rod. But now I’m getting back in to it via the switch rod way and so far I like it on the larger rivers. Shoulders appreciate it too. But the other thing is 20 or so years ago the line selection to these long rods was dismal compared to today. Lots of lines to make your set up sing. Imho
I actually loved fishing my Echo glass switch. It was a pure joy to cast (once I looked over at it and realized it had been several seasons since I had fished it, I realized it was time for it to go). For me, my problem is that I just don't fish the really large rivers for steelhead much any more. I still fish with skagit heads, just with a SHer. To your point though, lines now have definitely made it much easier.

Scslat

Anadromous Angler
Forum Supporter
Agreed on the lines, but I wish there was a library where you could check out a bunch to try on a rod. It obviously hasn't been an issue when I buy directly from a shop, but if I buy used or online (as I just did from Edge), it can be more difficult. I'm, fortunately or unfortunately, building a bit of a library myself since I seem to try multiple setups before finding one that I like. Probably should sell some of them, but as I improve maybe I'll move back to some of the setups that I initially rejected. We'll see. I am enjoying it.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Agreed on the lines, but I wish there was a library where you could check out a bunch to try on a rod. It obviously hasn't been an issue when I buy directly from a shop, but if I buy used or online (as I just did from Edge), it can be more difficult. I'm, fortunately or unfortunately, building a bit of a library myself since I seem to try multiple setups before finding one that I like. Probably should sell some of them, but as I improve maybe I'll move back to some of the setups that I initially rejected. We'll see. I am enjoying it.
There's also such a small amount of info on especially those TH rods too I really like my 9' 5wt (custom build) and 11' 2wt Archetypes though.

Scslat

Anadromous Angler
Forum Supporter
There's also such a small amount of info on especially those TH rods too I really like my 9' 5wt (custom build) and 11' 2wt Archetypes though.
Yep, I found essentially no information on the Edge spey rods, likely because they aren't sold through shops, so pros aren't interested in reviewing them. For $200 on sale, I figure that I'll give it a shot. I'll contribute some info by having a number of people try it out and write their opinions. They say 3-5 weeks until delivery. I'm hoping they don't take too long because I want to fish it this winter. If anyone in the area roughly between Vancouver BC and Seattle wants to try it, let me know.

the_chemist

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Yep, I found essentially no information on the Edge spey rods, likely because they aren't sold through shops, so pros aren't interested in reviewing them. For $200 on sale, I figure that I'll give it a shot. I'll contribute some info by having a number of people try it out and write their opinions. They say 3-5 weeks until delivery. I'm hoping they don't take too long because I want to fish it this winter. If anyone in the area roughly between Vancouver BC and Seattle wants to try it, let me know.
I do! Happy Thanksgiving bud!

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
MRFC has good sales going on. Picked up another Aetos 9' 6wt for the boat, really like these rods, with a coupon $150 shipped. Also a good price on the Simms Fall Run Primaloft jacket, my fave wading and knock around jacket.