Deals at online Retailers

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I try to buy local (which is Pacific Fly-fishers and Spawn for me), but sometimes there are good deals to be found online. I'm hoping this thread can be a way to share news about good deals, hard to find materials, or sales.

Nothing earthshaking to start, but the new bandana at J. Stockard is pretty sweet, I think.
PXL_20220220_035200550.jpg

Last edited:

headduck

Steelhead
I found decent deals on gear and other misc at Sierra trading company. They are literally the marshalls and tj max of sporting goods.

Now they have a bunch of dr slick stuff cheap (scissors, mitten clamps etc $10) lamson reels, hardy reels and rods, airflo lines, some metz and billion pre tied files.

I know saving $$ seems antithetical to fly fishing, but I certainly appreciate it.

Thanks for the thread.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I found decent deals on gear and other misc at Sierra trading company. They are literally the marshalls and tj max of sporting goods.

Now they have a bunch of dr slick stuff cheap (scissors, mitten clamps etc $10) lamson reels, hardy reels and rods, airflo lines, some metz and billion pre tied files.

I know saving $$ seems antithetical to fly fishing, but I certainly appreciate it.

Thanks for the thread.
Sierra is not anything that it once was, and that goes beyond fishing tackle imho!

Thanks for the thread.
I've done this too, also lucky enough to live near a storefront. I routinely check through and see whats new and on sale. Hard to argue with those 3 pack lamsons for ~$120. Tacky fly boxes galore too!

Snopro

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Sierra is not anything that it once was, and that goes beyond fishing tackle imho!
QFT

I remember before the TJX buyout. Free shipping + 25% off coupons were the norm. Add in active junky's 14% cash back at the time and you could find some killer deals. I look but haven't bought in a long time.

Anyone remember the late 80s and 90s when STP catalogs were filled with illustrations of product instead of photos?

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
QFT

I remember before the TJX buyout. Free shipping + 25% off coupons were the norm. Add in active junky's 14% cash back at the time and you could find some killer deals. I look but haven't bought in a long time.

Anyone remember the late 80s and 90s when STP catalogs were filled with illustrations of product instead of photos?
Just like the Campmor catalog! Which, I just learned, is still around

headduck

Steelhead
Man... I just found STP and thought it was huge compared the fly shops... must have been ridiculous in the past...

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I've done this too, also lucky enough to live near a storefront. I routinely check through and see whats new and on sale. Hard to argue with those 3 pack lamsons for ~$120. Tacky fly boxes galore too!
I wonder how the drag holds up on those reels

Anyfish

Just one more cast...
While they mostly sell camo, assorted hunting supplies, and other outdoor stuff, camofire.com is a place to look at as well.

Reactions: Zak

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I've always been leery of buying gear on line. Or really anything. I'm in the small group that likes to see what I buy and by doing it on line I have to trust on who packages it up. My wife buys stuff online. But sometimes what she orders doesn't make it here in Montana. Sometimes it ends up in South Dakota. You then play hell on trying to get what you ordered.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Just like the Campmor catalog! Which, I just learned, is still around

The one I miss is the Stevenson's catalog

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Almost 20 (!) years ago I was living in Laramie WY for grad school. One of my favorite weekend outings was a trip over the pass to STP in Cheyenne. Absolutely found some deals on great stuff. I still use an Arcteryx pack that was returned in like-new condition.

I visited one of the current stores in Salem OR a couple years ago. Reminds of any run-of-the mill “sporting goods” stores. :(

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I don't really chase deals all that much any more as I'm a bit more dialed with my specific needs, but STP and MRFC typically have the best deals. That said, there are a number of specific vendors I use online because they either carry stuff I can't get locally or certain materials are just vastly superior to anything locally.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I don't really chase deals all that much any more as I'm a bit more dialed with my specific needs, but STP and MRFC typically have the best deals. That said, there are a number of specific vendors I use online because they either carry stuff I can't get locally or certain materials are just vastly superior to anything locally.
Mad River Fishing Company occasionally has great deals here:

I wonder how the drag holds up on those reels
I have the liquid in the -7+. I love it. Bought from GHFS, but I assume the quality would be the same from sierra. Lamson’s sealed drag is seriously sealed. Can dunk the reel and no water gets into the drag

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have the liquid in the -7+. I love it. Bought from GHFS, but I assume the quality would be the same from sierra. Lamson’s sealed drag is seriously sealed. Can dunk the reel and no water gets into the drag
How does it handle a big fish

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter

I try not to buy anything but hooks and leader/ tippit...
I try, doesn't always work out, but I try.

:)