Coldest PDO since 1955. Good for salmon/bad for tuna?

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Doable? Absolutely.

The only issue is the timing. Realistically it would need to be when the fish are in on the beach, and predicting that is impossible. Right now the chinook fishing is better than I've ever seen it, but we are getting them in 300 plus feet of water, 200-280' on the wire
Yah, that's even outta Stupid Deep line 1.0 range. Maybe wait for hoho's to show up in #'s. With a solid PS beach crew, I bet you could kick some serious ass. Would love to cheer lead that from the digital side lines (minus the cheerleader outfit... nobody wants to see that). ;)

Bagman

Steelhead
Yah, that's even outta Stupid Deep line 1.0 range. Maybe wait for hoho's to show up in #'s. With a solid PS beach crew, I bet you could kick some serious ass. Would love to cheer lead that from the digital side lines (minus the cheerleader outfit... nobody wants to see that). ;)
I’m thinking I would bring one of my 11 foot switch rods, from my seat just outside the cabin it would be just like a outrigger.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
King fishing along the San Mateo coast is lights out, fleet is back to the dock every day well before noon limited out, so now the skippers are limiting out on King's and then switching to the reefs for rockfish...been a few decades since it has been on fire like this..swinging to King's in lower tidewater should be lights out along the Oregon coast this year.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
It's been quite a few years since area 2 actually reached its full chinook quota in a season. Typically the season has closed either when it runs its scheduled length, or the coho quota is filled. I'm beginning to think that this season the quota might actually get tapped. It's simply amazing how good the fishing is out here. Coho are starting to show in pretty good numbers as well, and I dont think we are even close to seeing the huge wave of them that will eventually show up.

Yesterday it took me maybe 45 minutes to find where the fish were, but once I did we had a boat limit of chinook and coho in 56 minutes. Just absurdly good fishing. Doubles after doubles.

With all the bad news with our fish populations and such over the last 10 years, it is sure cool to see something positive.

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
King fishing along the San Mateo coast is lights out, fleet is back to the dock every day well before noon limited out, so now the skippers are limiting out on King's and then switching to the reefs for rockfish...been a few decades since it has been on fire like this..swinging to King's in lower tidewater should be lights out along the Oregon coast this year.
It's going to be interesting to see what happens this fall on the Oregon Coast. Tillamook Bay and tribs will all be closed to retention of wild chinook along with the Siuslaw. That potentially could redirect angling pressure on the Nehalem, Nestucca, Salmon and Siletz where managers are expecting less than spectacular returns. That said, hatchery spring run returns have been decent on the Trask and Nestucca so maybe they'll be wrong about the fall. Forecasting adult salmon returns are far from an exact science ha ha....

Bagman

Steelhead
Nick, I was thinking I might be brave, stick on a scopalamine patch, get some Dramamine, and book a trip out on your boat. But it would be unfair to the other anglers aboard to come out and shut down the fishing. I have that kinda' ocean luck, along with puking.
I eat dryed ginger chunk, and apply peppermint oil and Lavender oil behind each ear. Carry all three on the boat and re apply as needed. Keep eating dried ginger, and dried beef, drink lots of water, before you start, and keep sipping all day. I was out last year with Nick changing albacore two days no sickness. Give it a try it worked for this old fart, and I’ve been sick on ferry boats.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
That potentially could redirect angling pressure on the Nehalem, Nestucca, Salmon and Siletz where managers are expecting less than spectacular returns. l[/URL]
that happened about a decade ago and it was a horror show on the Stuc...24' guide sleds trolling Pro Trolls in upper tidewater, just hoovering up the fish...being a shallow, narrow river, they'd pass so close to those of us anchored and swinging flies near the bank we couldn't backcast without sending it over their heads...lotta ugly came out with that crew

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Doesn't look like water temp will be a problem for tuners.

1657739906435.png

Bluewater in range off Westport

1657739978809.png

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
And on a side note, the dark purple water in the Strait of Juan de Fuca and the top of Vancouver Island reflect the huge tidal exchanges that we are experiencing during this full-moon spring tide. These big exchanges are bringing in large volumes of cold, clear, nutrient-rich bottom water. I used to love diving on the west side of San Juan during these big tides. The visibility was the best of the year. But you have only a narrow window of slack water between the powerful incoming and outgoing tides.
Steve

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Sounds like we're seeing the upside of upwelling. Here's to hoping we have a distinct blue/green break through September. Things could get interesting out there with a huge mass of warm/blue water pushed up against all that food.

Screenshot_20220723-081124_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220723-080324_Chrome.jpg

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Ya the albies are here, and by all accounts in big numbers. We know right where they are at but the weather hasn't allowed us to make the run yet so I'm still salmon fishing. Looks like Tue will be our first shot.

We heard from a commercial captain today, who runs one of the highliner boats in the fleet. He said the ocean is full of more albacore than he has ever seen.

The salmon fishing has been incredible but the urge to kill tuna is giving me major anxiety!

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
A rather tantalizing, incomplete chloro shot from the NOAA site yesterday.Screenshot_20220727-102754_Chrome.jpg

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
The blue water offshore indicates low chlorophyll = low upwelling there. Here is an image that might be easier to interpret. It is from the NANOOS Tuna Fishers data set.
Screen Shot 2022-07-27 at 4.55.00 PM.png
Here is my interpretation. Very sharp division between warm offshore and cold inshore water from TIllamook, OR south. That looks like a doable one-day trip and very enticing. The warm water off Washington is further offshore, but there are a few warmer fingers (ay 59 / 60oF) closer in.

Steve