Coldest PDO since 1955. Good for salmon/bad for tuna?

Bagman

Steelhead
Cool, would love to see that ... but not necessarily hook one though.

Finally had a clear 1 day chloro shot from the 7th. With all the upwelling I'm still a tad worried we might be headed into another green water desert situation like last year. How's the water looking out there now?

View attachment 27096
Shame on you! you could at least lie to me hell I have no idea what all that mean. So you could lie and I would have no idea if you are right or not. i do know that water last year looked like someone poured milk into a blueberry icy, which ment no fish for me.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Shame on you! you could at least lie to me hell I have no idea what all that mean. So you could lie and I would have no idea if you are right or not. i do know that water last year looked like someone poured milk into a blueberry icy, which ment no fish for me.
Sorry Al. Just being paranoid and maybe a tiny bit superstitious. Not unlike at my work when we wish the oncoming crew a shitty day or night. Expressing optimism will generally get something thrown at you.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Sorry Al. Just being paranoid and maybe a tiny bit superstitious. Not unlike at my work when we wish the oncoming crew a shitty day or night. Expressing optimism will generally get something thrown at you.
Are we allowed to be excited and tie flies?
3701F523-B760-453F-AC2C-9BFCF2B42420.jpeg

I tied up two new 20 lb leaders today, too. And loaded a new 600 grain line on the Nautilus.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Water has been solid so far. Maybe not that purply blue water that we all love so much, but its been much better water on average than what we fished in last year.

And remember, that beautiful blue water was around last year...the fish just chose to be in that dirtier shit!

Fishing, so far at least, has been significantly better than at any point last year. That's all I really care about! Fingers crossed it just keeps up.

Bagman

Steelhead
I use to say “break a leg” for the same reason you would say have a shitty day, tell I found out it ment take a bow.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Last Sunday was good to my boat. Plugged before noon for three of us. Flies were attempted and failed to produce yet again. Iron got about half our fish though, and I love me some iron 😁

Commuted to the tuna grounds on the early morning dark hours. With the bright moon and glassy water it was an amazing surreal experience.

Still out on vacation camped at Fort Stevens. My chest freezer is about full of tuna so can't be tempted to go again 😂

Attachments

• IMG_20220815_155109.jpg
    IMG_20220815_155109.jpg
    356 KB · Views: 39
  • 20220814_072950.jpg
    20220814_072950.jpg
    833.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 20220814_072948.jpg
    20220814_072948.jpg
    894.3 KB · Views: 39

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
FYI, there's a discussion on the ifish salt forum about marlin sightings near the "corners" (~ west of Lincoln City @ 45.00 / 125.00). I'll be packing my 6pc 8wt if the Jack Mack's are Back.

Several sightings at or near the corners last weekend. It was interesting to see the jack mackeral in many schools out there Saturday. This is what we saw at Heceta Bank a year ago when we played with Bill.

I could go way out on a limb and guess that the Marlin are feeding on the Jack Mackeral. A little research on rigging methods has led me to think I could rig a dead Jack Mackeral and drag it. What happens next is up to Bill.

RIght now we are looking at making this attempt in two weekends from now. Dark of the moon. We have enough TUNA! And there is 68 + degree water out there just past the 125.

Anyone else thinking about this?

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
FYI, there's a discussion on the ifish salt forum about marlin sightings near the "corners" (~ west of Lincoln City @ 45.00 / 125.00). I'll be packing my 6pc 8wt if the Jack Mack's are Back.

Thats when you will watch that BFT you've been dreaming of taken your fly using an 8wt :eek: :p

And it will be in sloooowww motion! 😄

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Thats when you will watch that BFT you've been dreaming of taken your fly using an 8wt :eek: :p

And it will be in sloooowww motion! 😄
With my luck ... yup. Slow motion yet over and done in seconds. For that matter it would be a grueling feat to land a decent sized albacore.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
FYI, There have been multiple Dorado caught in the past week or so. 3 in one day during the Ilwaco tuna club tournament (ITC). Also a mystery fish hookup estimated at 200+ pounds, although it was never seen. This was an experienced crew who fought it for over an hour. They didn't want to miss the weigh in (with 51 tuna) and a possible $35k prize, so put extreme pressure on it and broke the 60# leader.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
FYI, There have been multiple Dorado caught in the past week or so. 3 in one day during the Ilwaco tuna club tournament (ITC). Also a mystery fish hookup estimated at 200+ pounds, although it was never seen. This was an experienced crew who fought it for over an hour. They didn't want to miss the weigh in (with 51 tuna) and a possible $35k prize, so put extreme pressure on it and broke the 60# leader.
1662482229885.png

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The latest SST charts don't look all that unusual but seems a lot more like an El Nino year in terms of what's being caught out there. Especially surprising are Dorado in numbers like we've never seen.

Also got a reliable 2nd hand report of a marlin crashing a troll spread out of Garibaldi with a dodo sighting same boat/day. Just read about a Pomfret being caught. First I've heard since catching a few several years ago. Kinda surprised we haven't had more yellowtail catches since they are the more cool water tolerant "exotics".

Apparently Jack mackerel are being encountered in large numbers out of some Oregon ports but haven't heard/read about any further north.

Also reading some reports of "giant" tuna being sighted, but should be taken with a grain of salt. 😉

Looking forward to getting out again... 😀

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
The latest SST charts don't look all that unusual but seems a lot more like an El Nino year in terms of what's being caught out there. Especially surprising are Dorado in numbers like we've never seen.

Also got a reliable 2nd hand report of a marlin crashing a troll spread out of Garibaldi with a dodo sighting same boat/day. Just read about a Pomfret being caught. First I've heard since catching a few several years ago. Kinda surprised we haven't had more yellowtail catches since they are the more cool water tolerant "exotics".

Apparently Jack mackerel are being encountered in large numbers out of some Oregon ports but haven't heard/read about any further north.

Also reading some reports of "giant" tuna being sighted, but should be taken with a grain of salt. 😉

Looking forward to getting out again... 😀
When is your next trip?