2023 Skagit/Sauk season is a go

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Can anyone recommend a guide for the Skagit or Sauk? Would it at all be possible to accommodate one fly swinger and one gear dirtbag? My buddy is a die hard fly angler and while I enjoy swinging, at the tail end of the season I am hoping to just up my chances of seeing one of the darn things and float fishing is probably my best bet. Even if I don’t hook up with one as is most likely, I think it may be best for me to learn how to Steelhead fish with gear before uping the difficulty.

Float and a pink worm.
Float and a blk worm with chartreuse tail.
Float and nightmare jig.

If there are fish in the system, you should hook a few.

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
Float and a pink worm.
Float and a blk worm with chartreuse tail.
Float and nightmare jig.

If there are fish in the system, you should hook a few.

I’ve hooked fish on all those things but you still have to know where to find steelhead and how to present it. I see so many people fishing bull trout and salmon water out there…

JACKspASS

Life of the Party
If you are new to steelheading, here is a pro-tip.... Find the deepest hole on the river, and if the current is swirling and going reverse direction, get to that spot and guard it with your life. Indicator and a bead 7' down, let it swirl around all day, you'll thank me later

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
Just got off the water from an 11 hour float in sideways slush rain nearly the entire day. Fishing was great but I’m so cold I don’t know if it was worth it.

Attachments

• E236C618-7E15-4631-944E-5A94800E3531.jpeg
    E236C618-7E15-4631-944E-5A94800E3531.jpeg
    719.5 KB · Views: 118

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
You can get the full Cold and Nasty. But when I think of the Skagit I think of days when you get all 4 seasons crammed into 1 day. Sideways slush and snow in the morning, followed quickly by blazing sun where you have to strip off your outerwear so you don't steam yourself to death. Soon after that the clouds and a cold wind come back and you're freezing again. Rinse and repeat throughout the day. :cool:

Yadwick

Smolt
I’ve hooked fish on all those things but you still have to know where to find steelhead and how to present it. I see so many people fishing bull trout and salmon water out there…
I now feel like ive incorrectly believed that bull trout and steelhead water are similar (not the same) for far too long. Feel free to elaborate.....

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
Sauk was a gong show Saturday. Weather was slushy rain and everything you'd want for spring steelhead. Managed to hook and lose one while teaching a greenhorn to perry poke.

Any time you can get someone off the Snap-T you have done a great service for humanity so that hookup was actually a karmic coincidence. Once I got good at the Perry Poke I could not believe how much better it is, also a lot quieter, and I think that can matter a lot in some situations.

• Haha
Reactions: JS

JS

Mankie Old Chum
Any time you can get someone off the Snap-T you have done a great service for humanity so that hookup was actually a karmic coincidence. Once I got good at the Perry Poke I could not believe how much better it is, also a lot quieter, and I think that can matter a lot in some situations.
Come on now, they are all tools and the snap tizzle is like the sawzall of Spey casts! As classy as the poke, no, but unless you’re single speying a dry line and a classic gut eye, it’s all slop with a tip!

I’ll def concede that it’s sloppy for a certain type of water, if there’s a chance of hooking up on the hang down, the snap isn’t great. Certain water on the Hoh comes to mind.

JS

Mankie Old Chum
Especially if you’re wading out where you shouldn’t 😂

So many guys, and I’ve been super guilty of this, wade past their shins where they shouldn’t

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Especially if you’re wading out where you shouldn’t 😂

So many guys, and I’ve been super guilty of this, wade past their shins where they shouldn’t
Why shouldn't they?