2023 Skagit/Sauk season is a go

SeaRunner

Steelhead
My understand is that the fishery is limited by the number of encounters.

It is common to use something like a 5 day a week season to extend the season length. It also provides a built in fishery pause which gives the managers a chance to crunch the number to reduce the chances of over run the allowed encounters. These was what was discussed at the public meeting prior to that first fishery a few years ago.

That said it has long been noted that the distribution of steelhead redds if often different during periods of fishing and non-fishing. the boat traffic seems to push the fish to areas with less traffic (side channels, etc.). it is commonly assumed that steelhead egg survival would be better if the fish are allowed to spawn in their preferred location.

curt

Yes, I understand using a 5 day a week season to extend season length. If that is the reason the WDFW should state that. If WDFW wants a built in pause to crunch numbers they should state that. If the season is 5 days per week because that was all that was on NMFS's table to approve for this year that should be stated.

I don't doubt what you say about steelhead redds. But if that becomes a guiding conservation/management metric then perhaps we should be fishing 5 days per week regardless of run size (or not fishing at all). It may increase steelhead egg survival. 5 days per week also eliminates roughly 3 weeks of opportunity out of a 12 week season that is authorized by a plan which you and several others put a lot of time and effort into getting done. I appreciate the work you've done on that and in my opinion the impact rates in that plan are sufficient conservation measures.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My understand is that the fishery is limited by the number of encounters.

It is common to use something like a 5 day a week season to extend the season length. It also provides a built in fishery pause which gives the managers a chance to crunch the number to reduce the chances of over run the allowed encounters. These was what was discussed at the public meeting prior to that first fishery a few years ago.

That said it has long been noted that the distribution of steelhead redds if often different during periods of fishing and non-fishing. the boat traffic seems to push the fish to areas with less traffic (side channels, etc.). it is commonly assumed that steelhead egg survival would be better if the fish are allowed to spawn in their preferred location.

curt
This makes sense to me

Smalma

Life of the Party
SeaRunner-
When the Sauk spring CnR season was first implemented in the early 1980s the season end date of April 30 was chosen as an ultraconservative alternative. April 30 was chosen as a date well in advance of the peak winter steelhead spawning in that basin. When the Skagit season was added the April 30 was also used. When the Skykomish season came on board a few years later an season ending date of April 15 was chosen for similar reasons.

When a CnR season on NF Stillaguamish was added in the late 1980s the season was year-round. With a few years of experience the amount of fly anglers targeting the active spawning fish was concerning. To this day I consider that extended opportunity was mistake. However, I realize that is/was a personal opinion that is not universally shared by managers or anglers. Certainly, a number of current steelhead seasons do not reflect that concern.

Curt

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
To ensure good fishing behavior, an additional section should be added to the Special Regulations. If you encounter someone fishing over actively spawning steelhead, they are engaging in "Conduct Unbecoming an Angler." So you are authorized, nay, commanded, to break their rod over their head and wind 120' of Spey line around them and throw them in the river. Like shooting tweakers, it prevents recidivism.

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
"To ensure good fishing behavior"

Good luck with that, especially Saturday!

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
At 1st light I landed a 16-17" resident bow, shortly lost another. @matchu865 picked my pocket and lost a nice bright Steelhead after 2 or 3 jumps. 4 guys on a big run, 2 passes each except @Bhudda after he snapped his Meiser at the top of the run.

Was nice to get out play in the Skagit/Sauk spring Steelhead season, The Sauk needs a about 2 feet of water though!

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
At 1st light I landed a 16-17" resident bow, shortly lost another. @matchu865 picked my pocket and lost a nice bright Steelhead after 2 or 3 jumps.
Nice
4 guys on a big run, 2 passes each except @Bhudda after he snapped his Meiser at the top of the run.
Not so nice
Was nice to get out play in the Skagit/Sauk spring Steelhead season, The Sauk needs an about 2 feet of water though!
Yes it was and we got to experience three seasons in a single day!

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
At 1st light I landed a 16-17" resident bow, shortly lost another. @matchu865 picked my pocket and lost a nice bright Steelhead after 2 or 3 jumps. 4 guys on a big run, 2 passes each except @Bhudda after he snapped his Meiser at the top of the run.

Was nice to get out play in the Skagit/Sauk spring Steelhead season, The Sauk needs a about 2 feet of water though!
Big time skunk guy here, but the dirtbag @Rvrfisher360 did great while cheating!

Please god more water next weekend

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
It definitely wasn’t red hot unless you launched your boat at the mill Friday night.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Wanted to say that every single person I interacted with showed excellent etiquette, aside from one lowholing guide who started backing plugs 10yds from the bottom of my swing. Everyone else was super courteous, had drift boats float between myself and the bank to not mess up my run, multiple people politely ask to fish upstream of me. Marco if you're on here you were rad!

Really a nice change of pace from the last couple frenzied weeks on the nooksack.

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
Wanted to say that every single person I interacted with showed excellent etiquette, aside from one lowholing guide who started backing plugs 10yds from the bottom of my swing. Everyone else was super courteous, had drift boats float between myself and the bank to not mess up my run, multiple people politely ask to fish upstream of me. Marco if you're on here you were rad!

Really a nice change of pace from the last couple frenzied weeks on the nooksack.

The bad etiquette on the Nooksack is mostly from one infamous guide. He called me a “fucker” in the dark last season when I was in the spot he wanted. I’ve been waiting on that run in the dark for at least 20 years and I think he was in grade school back then. The guides are so crotchety because they can’t make a living doing it and it’s usually their friends they are guiding anyway. It’s pretty clear some of these guides have low self esteem and want to prove their manliness on the river. I am sure he would enjoy beating me up for posting this.