2023 Skagit/Sauk season is a go

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
The bad etiquette on the Nooksack is mostly from one infamous guide. He called me a “fucker” in the dark last season when I was in the spot he wanted. I’ve been waiting on that run in the dark for at least 20 years and I think he was in grade school back then. The guides are so crotchety because they can’t make a living doing it and it’s usually their friends they are guiding anyway. It’s pretty clear some of these guides have low self esteem and want to prove their manliness on the river. I am sure he would enjoy beating me up for posting this.
I imagine that guiding on the nooksack wears mightily on ones soul. It's easier to blame the banky who walked into your run than admit you're charging people to chase fish that barely exist and that's why you didnt catch shit.

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
But did you fish the "secret" spot? I know it's loaded with fish!
We fished all the spots that you would have on the float that he did. I am pretty sure that this is the case.

Clear clear clear water. The only color that we saw put in the river was from culverts collecting road run off. I wish that I had taken a picture. I got my phone wet and had to replace it anyway so maybe it's just as well that I did not. It was nice to be out at least.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
We fished all the spots that you would have on the float that he did. I am pretty sure that this is the case.

Clear clear clear water. The only color that we saw put in the river was from culverts collecting road run off. I wish that I had taken a picture. I got my phone wet and had to replace it anyway so maybe it's just as well that I did not. It was nice to be out at least.
I've got you covered!20230325_134433.jpg

The middle trench here is nearly 4ft deep, and the dark patch near the top even deeper. I fished along a high bank for my first run of the day, I was shocked when I got in that I was nearly belly button deep. Almost spooky clear.

singlehandjay

Life of the Party
The bad etiquette on the Nooksack is mostly from one infamous guide. He called me a “fucker” in the dark last season when I was in the spot he wanted. I’ve been waiting on that run in the dark for at least 20 years and I think he was in grade school back then. The guides are so crotchety because they can’t make a living doing it and it’s usually their friends they are guiding anyway. It’s pretty clear some of these guides have low self esteem and want to prove their manliness on the river. I am sure he would enjoy beating me up for posting this.
Kick his ass seabass!

JLT

20 years late to the game
Forum Supporter
I was on the Yak lamenting the close to the OP and Skagit closure last Wednesday when the good news hit. I immediately rearranged I my life and got out on Sunday, the Skagit was quiet. I didn’t touch a fish and the water was low, I suspect the fish were all on the other bank… It was great to be out there, it felt like going home.

The Sauk was really busy. I walked into a run that was fairly stacked with 5 gear guys plugging bucket on the far bank. The upper stretch of the run had some nice swing water they were ignoring so I stayed and worked it. As i arrrived a guide gear boat dropped anchor in the middle of the bucket on the far bank, essentially low holing 3 bank pluggers, and proceeded to net 3 successive steelhead of 45 minutes. Each fish spent a least 10 minutes in the net being fucked with and photo’d. The third fish was netted and dragged to shore for a many minutes long grip and grin. It was horrifying to watch. The bank angler were raging mad at being blocked from fishing the but kept their cool and just vented to each other. Kudos to them, fuck the guide that knows better than to manhandle wild fish like that.

I’ll be back out this sun/mon/tues chasing the dream with an 8140. The weather looks just horrible enough to a great day for swinging. The Sauk may blow out, but hopefully the Skagit just comes into shape and moves some fish out of the plug water. A few inches of snow and rain should keep the weak hearted at home and reduce pressure.

JLT

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
I was on the Yak lamenting the close to the OP and Skagit closure last Wednesday when the good news hit. I immediately rearranged I my life and got out on Sunday, the Skagit was quiet. I didn’t touch a fish and the water was low, I suspect the fish were all on the other bank… It was great to be out there, it felt like going home.

The Sauk was really busy. I walked into a run that was fairly stacked with 5 gear guys plugging bucket on the far bank. The upper stretch of the run had some nice swing water they were ignoring so I stayed and worked it. As i arrrived a guide gear boat dropped anchor in the middle of the bucket on the far bank, essentially low holing 3 bank pluggers, and proceeded to net 3 successive steelhead of 45 minutes. Each fish spent a least 10 minutes in the net being fucked with and photo’d. The third fish was netted and dragged to shore for a many minutes long grip and grin. It was horrifying to watch. The bank angler were raging mad at being blocked from fishing the but kept their cool and just vented to each other. Kudos to them, fuck the guide that knows better than to manhandle wild fish like that.

I’ll be back out this sun/mon/tues chasing the dream with an 8140. The weather looks just horrible enough to a great day for swinging. The Sauk may blow out, but hopefully the Skagit just comes into shape and moves some fish out of the plug water. A few inches of snow and rain should keep the weak hearted at home and reduce pressure.

JLT
Heads up, its closed monday and tuesday. Good luck to you!

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Can anyone recommend a guide for the Skagit or Sauk? Would it at all be possible to accommodate one fly swinger and one gear dirtbag? My buddy is a die hard fly angler and while I enjoy swinging, at the tail end of the season I am hoping to just up my chances of seeing one of the darn things and float fishing is probably my best bet. Even if I don’t hook up with one as is most likely, I think it may be best for me to learn how to Steelhead fish with gear before uping the difficulty.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Can anyone recommend a guide for the Skagit or Sauk? Would it at all be possible to accommodate one fly swinger and one gear dirtbag? My buddy is a die hard fly angler and while I enjoy swinging, at the tail end of the season I am hoping to just up my chances of seeing one of the darn things and float fishing is probably my best bet. Even if I don’t hook up with one as is most likely, I think it may be best for me to learn how to Steelhead fish with gear before uping the difficulty.
Fished with mike Dickson a few years back, dont think he guides gear but might be accommodating to your request. He Was a good guy and I would fish with him again no question.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Fished with mike Dickson a few years back, dont think he guides gear but might be accommodating to your request. He Was a good guy and I would fish with him again no question.
He is a good guy
Worth a shot
He might be part time now but I’d look into it
Knows his stuff