2023 Skagit/Sauk season is a go

wetline dave

Steelhead
And so what is the tribes take on a nearly non-existent run that probably no one should be targeting. If it is half then that leaves what 2500 fish and C& R mortality and over stressed fish reduced to very poor spawning results leaves what maybe 2000 fish at the very best.

This is pathetic to even think anyone with a conscience would net or catch what little remains of once was one of the largest runs of steelhead in Washington.

Go fort it people maybe you will get the reward for catching the last wild steelhead on the Skagit, and be proud! as you hang your trophy on the wall with the caption. "The Last One"!

Dave

tkww

Steelhead
Well that's some good news. Still, gotta' wonder what the rationale is for it being closed on Mondays and Tuesdays when it's over a thousand fish above the threshold for a 7-day/week season.
They want it to be constantly monitored, and they're going to hire/assign someone to do 5 days a week, so they close it for the two least-used days of the week.

GOTY

Steelhead
And so what is the tribes take on a nearly non-existent run that probably no one should be targeting. If it is half then that leaves what 2500 fish and C& R mortality and over stressed fish reduced to very poor spawning results leaves what maybe 2000 fish at the very best.

This is pathetic to even think anyone with a conscience would net or catch what little remains of once was one of the largest runs of steelhead in Washington.

Go fort it people maybe you will get the reward for catching the last wild steelhead on the Skagit, and be proud! as you hang your trophy on the wall with the caption. "The Last One"!

Dave
No, that's not how it works.

The fishery is managed on a sliding scale to ensure enough fish make it to the spawning grounds. A larger run = more fish can be harvested, a smaller run = less can be harvested (on both an absolute # and relative % basis).

A run size of 5,211 fish allows a 10% maximum mortality/harvest rate. 10% of 5,211 is 521, so let's round down to 520. That means a maximum of 520 fish can be "harvested". FYI - A run size below 4,000 allows 0% harvest, which is why last year there was no season.

Of the 520 fish, tribal fisheries are allowed to harvest 260, rec anglers the other 260.

Of course, rec anglers aren't allowed to actually kill/harvest fish, this 260 is simply based on an assumed 10% mortality for encounters (which would be 2,600 encounters).

So, assuming both tribal and rec fisheries maximize their allowed impact and 10% of all rec caught fish that are released somehow die, then the run size goes from 5,122 (projected) to 4,602 (projected), which is significantly different than your 2,000 figure.

Smalma

Life of the Party
Salmo g-
My memory is that having the season extending into April was a high priority for the recreational anglers. The strategy of weekly season has been used to extend the season into April with an end date of the 15th when the forecast will not support a 7 day week season. I assume that with the current forecast and the information from past creel surveys WDFW determined that 5 days a week season would be best to accomplish that goal.

Wetline Dave -
The co-managers and NMFS have an agreed to management plan (10 years) that allows a sliding scale of allowable impacts depending on the forecasted run size. That scale is run size below 4,000 allowable rate is 4%; the historic incidental impacts in salmon seasons and November to January game fish seasons. For run sizes between 4,001 to 6,000 as Goty mentioned the allowable rate is 10%. For run size of between 6,001 to 8,000 the allowable rate is 20% and for run sizes above 8,001 the allowable rate is 25%.

Given the time of year my New Year wish for all those who get the chance to spend time on the Skagit/Sauk the next few months is that have a wonderful and safe experience on this unique system and wonderful resource. I do request that everyone treat both the river and the fish with the respect they deserve!

Curt

Last edited:

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
No, that's not how it works.

The fishery is managed on a sliding scale to ensure enough fish make it to the spawning grounds. A larger run = more fish can be harvested, a smaller run = less can be harvested (on both an absolute # and relative % basis).

A run size of 5,211 fish allows a 10% maximum mortality/harvest rate. 10% of 5,211 is 521, so let's round down to 520. That means a maximum of 520 fish can be "harvested". FYI - A run size below 4,000 allows 0% harvest, which is why last year there was no season.

Of the 520 fish, tribal fisheries are allowed to harvest 260, rec anglers the other 260.

Of course, rec anglers aren't allowed to actually kill/harvest fish, this 260 is simply based on an assumed 10% mortality for encounters (which would be 2,600 encounters).

So, assuming both tribal and rec fisheries maximize their allowed impact and 10% of all rec caught fish that are released somehow die, then the run size goes from 5,122 (projected) to 4,602 (projected), which is significantly different than your 2,000 figure.
In addition, the tribes use most if not all of their impacts during the June chinook fishery. The steelhead they catch incidentally are fish that have already spawned and are returning to the ocean.

Uninformed comments like this are not only irresponsible, but paint a completely false narrative of what actually happens. Plus it makes you look kinda foolish. But we've all fucked up a time or two...

skyrise

Steelhead
I honestly didn’t think this would ever happen again (and said so) Love being wrong and now have the task of figuring out days off. Dang !
Really need to take the time to enjoy these kind of fisheries. And again a Big Thanks to all of you folks that took time to gather every year to show WDFW what Can be done. do think most folks that come out treat the river/fish with respect maybe not each other but that’s what society has come to.
Oh and let’s all look out for each other’s vehicles, boats and personal property cause I’m sure there will be shit heads roaming about.
Now let’s see come march/April do I fish the river or go float around on a nice lake somewhere ?
How the heck did we get all that fishing in back in the day when All the rivers were open and I could fish up here or down south by my folks or run over to the OP ?
No matter I’ll just give thanks to my Lord for the Blessings.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

wetline dave

Steelhead
OK I I misunderstood the NMFS policy, agreement but the fact remains there are not many fish returning and that is my overall point.

Are 5000 fish even close to capacity for the Sauk and Skagit systems combined? Shouldn't that be the driving escapement goals?

Dave

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Are 5000 fish even close to capacity for the Sauk and Skagit systems combined?
At the lower end of the range. Because the river changes season by season, as do ocean conditions, there is no "hard" number.

With the ocean conditions being a little more favorable the last couple years I would expect the escapement to exceed the forecast and for the forecast next year to be even higher. The forecast always lags behind the actual conditions because the recent past is part of the equation. There is a lot that goes into it. No dam for fish to pass over and be accurately counted. Spawning surveys are part of it but a couple of dirty water days at a critical time can throw that off.

ianpadron

Steelhead
Anyone have recent float intel on the Sauk from Darrington to the mouth?

Couple massive high-water events since the last CnR season, wondering what kind of river we'll be workin with.

Roadie with the Clacka back to Washington is damn near the most excited I've been in awhile, and I get excited about everything 😃

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Anyone have recent float intel on the Sauk from Darrington to the mouth?

Couple massive high-water events since the last CnR season, wondering what kind of river we'll be workin with.

Roadie with the Clacka back to Washington is damn near the most excited I've been in awhile, and I get excited about everything 😃
Last I was out there was January last year. From gov't bridge to Native the river had jumped to run along the highway where the flats used to be. Not sure when that happened. The take out at Native still leaves a bit to be desired.

Screenshot_20221224-214905_Photos.jpg