2023 Garden Thread

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
I can't keep up with pinching the blooms anymore, it's go time. First cukes, I have a row of 24 plants, variety is "homemade pickles" I should be getting buckets full soon. So what's your go to recipe for pickles? I'm wanting to try lactofermented, I have a few big glass crocks but I think I'll start looking for a used wine barrel.
20230725_100813.jpg

20230725_100004.jpg

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
I can't keep up with pinching the blooms anymore, it's go time. First cukes, I have a row of 24 plants, variety is "homemade pickles" I should be getting buckets full soon. So what's your go to recipe for pickles? I'm wanting to try lactofermented, I have a few big glass crocks but I think I'll start looking for a used wine barrel.
View attachment 74450

View attachment 74451
I like 3% salt of the total mass of water + cukes + seasoning, grape leaves (keeps em crunchy), fresh bay leaves, lots of garlic, a hot pepper, dill leaves and blossoms, mustard seed, coriander seed, black pepper. Ferment below 70 degrees F if possible as it helps keep them crunchy. Ferment until they taste the way you like, for us that's usually 3-4 weeks for whole cucumbers in the mid 60s. We like ours quite sour and lightly effervescent.

Lightly toast then crack the spices before adding. You can put them in an empty tea sachet if you don't want them on the pickles when you go to eat them.

Last edited:

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Deer....

How do you deal with them. I can't really afford a mile of 12 foot tall fencing. They came through last night and decimated one 40 foot row of tomatoes. I'm pissing in a jug right now, saving it up to dump around the garden. I hit one several times broadside with a slingshot and clay ammo and it just laughed at me. These deer fear no human.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
I like 3% salt of the total mass of water + cukes + seasoning, grape leaves (keeps em crunchy), fresh bay leaves, lots of garlic, a hot pepper, dill leaves and blossoms, mustard seed, coriander seed, black pepper. Ferment below 70 degrees F if possible as it helps keep them crunchy. Ferment until they taste the way you like, for us that's usually 3-4 weeks for whole cucumbers in the mid 60s. We like ours quite sour and lightly effervescent.

Lightly toast then crack the spices before adding. You can put them in an empty tea sachet if you don't want them on the pickles when you go to eat them.
Awsome, I just harvested garlic, I have plenty of grape vines, a little bay tree in a pot, a row of dill I keep topping cause I'm not ready for it yet. I'll use that recipe.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Deer....

How do you deal with them. I can't really afford a mile of 12 foot tall fencing. They came through last night and decimated one 40 foot row of tomatoes. I'm pissing in a jug right now, saving it up to dump around the garden. I hit one several times broadside with a slingshot and clay ammo and it just laughed at me. These deer fear no human.
Rainbird type sprinkler on a motion activated switch
Big dog
Bigger gun

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Deer....

That's why I am running these giant hoop houses (besides my clay soil), dang deer eat everything. Fencing doesn't work well, although I never built it to my full and expensive capabilities.
I've watched them eat my apple trees, any new bud that comes up, it's gone.
I run down there swearing, they keep chomping till I get close.

I still have some raspberries and such outside the fence, but they don't grow fast, cause the deer eat em.

So far they haven't gone in my gated off hoop houses, but I keep waiting for the day lol

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
View attachment 74450

View attachment 74451
Gary’s method and recipe is spot on. I’ve done a fair amount of pickling and lacto fermentation. I’d recommend doing a few tester batches using the method Gary described and doing a few different spice blends to see what you like best. Your cukes will start slow and most likely ramp up quick in the next month. Do a few quart sized jars while it’s still slow and see what you like. You can do a lacto cucumber pickle in a little over a week in this warm weather. Starting with a large batch for your first time may lead to disappointing results, or great results but it’s a big gamble and potentially a lot of food wasted. Also I hope you have an outlet for these cause you’re gonna have a lot of pickles 🤣

Tallguy

Steelhead
Didn't take any pretty pics like most of you, but my Desert King fig started kicking out it's first batch of real figs this week. Very very good and sweet, but not quite as good as my Olympia fig. I also have Neverella and Italian honey figs planted, but they haven't produced yet.

Really nice crop of Peruvian ground cherry (cape gooseberry/goldenberry) this year. Eating them now, though they will go till frost. I really like this plant. The deer haven't been eating it, and they are really good about self seeding every year, so nice bushes keep coming up every year.

Massive grape crop (>100 lbs, Swenson Reds) will be about a month away, though those are best mid September. Grape kiwi also kicked in pretty good this year, I have 3 varieties of those going.

Didn't spend much time on veggie planting this year, didn't find the time, so only some random volunteers and a few tomatoes rolling now.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
That's why I am running these giant hoop houses (besides my clay soil), dang deer eat everything. Fencing doesn't work well, although I never built it to my full and expensive capabilities.
I've watched them eat my apple trees, any new bud that comes up, it's gone.
I run down there swearing, they keep chomping till I get close.

I still have some raspberries and such outside the fence, but they don't grow fast, cause the deer eat em.

So far they haven't gone in my gated off hoop houses, but I keep waiting for the day lol
I went with the plant 10x more then you think you need strategy. The neighbors have so many apples they usually hang out over there and leave my stuff alone.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Gary’s method and recipe is spot on. I’ve done a fair amount of pickling and lacto fermentation. I’d recommend doing a few tester batches using the method Gary described and doing a few different spice blends to see what you like best. Your cukes will start slow and most likely ramp up quick in the next month. Do a few quart sized jars while it’s still slow and see what you like. You can do a lacto cucumber pickle in a little over a week in this warm weather. Starting with a large batch for your first time may lead to disappointing results, or great results but it’s a big gamble and potentially a lot of food wasted. Also I hope you have an outlet for these cause you’re gonna have a lot of pickles 🤣
After I pick today I'm sure there will be enough for a trial batch. I didn't know they would ferment so quick.

holtad

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Deer....

Deer crushing everything in my yard too. Roses, Tomatoes, Pumpkins, Hastas, etc... I've have 8'ish ft netting on bamboo poles around most stuff but they find ways to push through/over/under it somehow. I've tried the various sprays (Coyote blood/Mint + lemon combo) and it seems to keep them away for just a day or two. So.... I'm now trying an electric fence... Got a solar charger, and the braded poly line and have put it as many places as I can make it fit. Only been hot for 1 night so i'll let you know how it goes. I'm really hoping to see one get nailed on my security cameras...

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
Some more Lilies opened up this week, fragrant and elegant, they are some of our very favorite plants we grow.

View attachment 74753
View attachment 74750View attachment 74751View attachment 74752
Those lilies are beautiful. I came across this native lily earlier in the month while hiking in central Oregon which I believe is a Washington Lily. Have you ever grown this variety? It’s something I’m interested in getting but not sure if it’s dependent on specific habitat etc.
IMG_1257.jpeg