2023 Garden Thread

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
So tomatoes…..getting a bit late in the setting season, but some still setting. I have a good deal of blossoms and I continue to stimulate them with the electric toothbrush. 😉
Should I continue to do so for maybe another week or so or clip off the remaining blossoms and call it good on the setting season?
Thanks for your input.
SF

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Depending on variety, I would let things go until mid month.
I think it will be an extended summer here, like last year, so mid October till things turn sharply against tomatoes weather wise...so 70 days or so.
I could be wrong, but I would wait until the 15th...
That's a Tuesday, so seems like the right day.
:)

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Every fruit off of an entire row of 40ish plants has blossom end rot. Only affecting my paste style tomatos, Oregon Star and Opalka. Every plant got a scoop of bone meal in the hole 🤷‍♂️ no other varieties affected.

20230803_110355.jpg
North Georgia Candy Roaster is impressing me. Setting lots of fruit fast and seems to be fine in our climate.
20230803_105548.jpg
Caging squashes and pumpkins to have pure seed.
20230803_103512.jpg

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Check out U of Wisconsin Horticulture.
Great discussion on Calcium and the behavior of it in plant metabolism. It’s a little trickier than just adding Ca.
Good growing and sorry about those tomatoes
Lots of work to have it suck

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Yeah...it's not as easy as putting a Tums in each hole.
Some varieties are more prone to it than others, we have it with Roma and San Marzano the most often, and rarely if ever on the others.
Balanced fertilizers formulated for tomatoes have the best effect on supressing end rot from what I experience...and still some is always present.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I had some end rot on my romas last year. I've been more diligent on consistent watering this year and that seems to have eliminated the problem.
SF

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Which includes eggplants, tomatoes, potatoes and more.
How big are those unidentified fruit?
Blueberry sized, they are definitely black nightshade, which is both poisonous and an amazing edible according to the internet, talk about mixed messages.
Screenshot_20230803_112513_YouTube.jpg

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Check out U of Wisconsin Horticulture.
Great discussion on Calcium and the behavior of it in plant metabolism. It’s a little trickier than just adding Ca.
Good growing and sorry about those tomatoes
Lots of work to have it suck
At least I have 2 other other rows with different tomato varieties. I think I'm going to pull them all since it was the row hit the hardest by the deer and replace with some winter veg crop.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
I’ve given up on San Marzanos because of blossom end rot. I only grew them for pizza sauce and Bianco DiNapoli canned tomatoes are so god damn good (and consistent) I haven’t looked back

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
I had some end rot on my romas last year. I've been more diligent on consistent watering this year and that seems to have eliminated the problem.
SF
Seems like this is the culprit. My watering has been very inconsistent the last few weeks, they had some dry periods.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Blueberry sized, they are definitely black nightshade, which is both poisonous and an amazing edible according to the internet, talk about mixed messages.
View attachment 75842

That one that says Death Berry looks like deadly nightshade with the very large sepals. Different plant than black nightshade. But glad we figured that out! 🤣