2023 Garden Thread

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Tomatoes have traditionally been difficult to grow in western WA according to conventional wisdom because the weather isn't warm enough. And true to this tradition, warmer than average summers have been the best for growing tomatoes. When we built our new home in 2010 I decided to deal with this by dedicating a site on the south side of my house and constructing what I call the tomato house. It's sort of a cross between a cold frame and a greenhouse. The summers have been so warm recently that the tomato house gets too hot. Last summer my tomato plants stopped growing when they got too hot, so the tomato crop was very limited. I remodeled the tomato house this spring due to wind damage last winter, making the roof movable so I could raise it and allow hot air to escape when the weather became too hot. Too late, a couple plants have withered and stunted, so I'll only get the tomatoes that were in progress when the heat arrived. As an experiment I planted two tomato plants in my raised bed garden area this year. They got off to a slower start, but they are going gang busters now. Going forward, I think I'll remove the tomato house and count on having tomatoes on the south side of the house as "warm enough" without getting too hot.

Thoughts from the gardening experts?
Solar panel+battery+exhaust fan+thermostat?

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Fans for greenhouse/ cold frames for sure...our ran 24/7 in the tomato house.
Contrary to what some think, tomatoes would love 80/60 day night temps. Any warmer most varieties get grumpy, and develop physiological leaf curl from the heat.
We have used shade cloth to knock 10 or so degrees off things when it is in the 90's.

Mark Yoshida

Deep Line & Vertical
Forum Supporter
Nice Haul!! What is the varietal? I am about to harvest mine in week or so.
Music. I have had it for years and save my largest for the next year.
According to a website description.

Music is a Porcelain type of garlic that could possibly be the most popular homegrown Hardneck. The large cloves make it such a pleasant garlic to work with in the kitchen. Typically has pure white bulb wrappers, sometimes will produce slight purple streaking depending on your soil.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Fans for greenhouse/ cold frames for sure...our ran 24/7 in the tomato house.
Contrary to what some think, tomatoes would love 80/60 day night temps. Any warmer most varieties get grumpy, and develop physiological leaf curl from the heat.
We have used shade cloth to knock 10 or so degrees off things when it is in the 90's.

I’ve got some leaf curl going on. Simple solution would be cooler weather! 😂

Random question. If there was one vegetable you could create via hybridization, what would it be even if it wasn’t possible.
Mine would be a green pepper and sweet onion combo, with it being solid like an onion. I like green pepper on burgers, sandwiches etc but always wished I could get a full slice like you can with an onion. You can always dream. 😉
SF

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
I’ve got some leaf curl going on. Simple solution would be cooler weather! 😂

Random question. If there was one vegetable you could create via hybridization, what would it be even if it wasn’t possible.
Mine would be a green pepper and sweet onion combo, with it being solid like an onion. I like green pepper on burgers, sandwiches etc but always wished I could get a full slice like you can with an onion. You can always dream. 😉
SF
I think the sun has got to ya dude...
🤣🤣🤣

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
Went for a walk through my "wild" garden today... berries are starting to color! Mmmm...

View attachment 72721View attachment 72722
Picked a few little native blackberries in the local blueberry patch the other day. Couldn’t decide what I wanted to pick more of. Natives are the best. Nice that you have those so close by. I save the red huckleberries every year and freeze them to make “cranberry” red huckleberry sauce for thanksgiving. They also make a great sauce for Swedish pancakes, very similar to lingonberries.
1689223569530.jpeg

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Picked a few little native blackberries in the local blueberry patch the other day. Couldn’t decide what I wanted to pick more of. Natives are the best. Nice that you have those so close by. I save the red huckleberries every year and freeze them to make “cranberry” red huckleberry sauce for thanksgiving. They also make a great sauce for Swedish pancakes, very similar to lingonberries.
View attachment 72727
Little wild blackberry is the best! My grandfather owned a bunch of property and they were abundant there. We picked several gallons per year. I stumbled across a HUGE patch while fishing a few years ago. I might have to take a trip in the next couple weeks to see if they're still there and if they're ripe

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
Little wild blackberry is the best! My grandfather owned a bunch of property and they were abundant there. We picked several gallons per year. I stumbled across a HUGE patch while fishing a few years ago. I might have to take a trip in the next couple weeks to see if they're still there and if they're ripe
They are ripe now and it seems like a good berry year IMO. Definitely worth checking out. Usually the early July rains can mess up their ripening schedule and you see a lot of moldy berries right now. This dry weather with the cooler last few days will be good to them. Too hot and they shrivel on the vine quickly. Too wet and they seemingly go dormant and mold out. Delicate in nature they are. They’re totally worth all the blood, sweat and clear cut induced allergy breakouts 🤣

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
They are ripe now and it seems like a good berry year IMO. Definitely worth checking out. Usually the early July rains can mess up their ripening schedule and you see a lot of moldy berries right now. This dry weather with the cooler last few days will be good to them. Too hot and they shrivel on the vine quickly. Too wet and they seemingly go dormant and mold out. Delicate in nature they are. They’re totally worth all the blood, sweat and clear cut induced allergy breakouts 🤣

Wild blackberries are great. When I live up on the Sunshine Coast may years ago (40) used to make buckets of jam; but I seem to remember they didn't ripen until mid to late August - is this an unusually early year?

cheers

Capt Insano Emeritis

Legend
Forum Supporter
They are a favorite. Some call them dewberries I think?

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Wild blackberries are great. When I live up on the Sunshine Coast may years ago (40) used to make buckets of jam; but I seem to remember they didn't ripen until mid to late August - is this an unusually early year?

cheers
I found them on a flat where a creek dumped into a river. There is probably 2-3 acres of open alder forest with vines covering the floor. It's also at about 1700 feet in elevation, which is why I thought it might take a bit longer for them to ripen. My poor memory is telling me it was the 2nd half of July when I found them.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter

cheers
Native wild blackberries typically ripen after the 4th of July. The invasive Evergreen and Himalayan blackberries ripen in August. The natives are prized because of their flavor and small seeds. They make excellent jam and pie. Himalayans have good flavor but large seeds, making them better for jelly for those willing to strain out the seeds. Not good for pie.