2023 Garden Thread

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Old Mr. Pepper, my neighbor back in Vermont, grew the most amazing tall, delicious tomatoes. He told me that he mixed cement in with the planting soil, and that's why they were so good. Has anyone heard of that? Was he maybe pulling my leg?

Otisdog

Smolt
Concerning your raised garden beds. Are they feeding troughs.? Are there lower and wider ones available.? I ask, because the inherited beds at my home are starting to fail and I am in need of new ones. These look nice..thanks..
After visiting Dr. Magill's garden, I choose to purchase metal planters from the same 'vego garden' vendor to replace the deteriorating wood ones we inherited with the house. The planters are modular, and can easily be configured into various shapes. We bought four 3' x 8' planters, but realized four would make the garden too crowded,70891118515__37271026-88C4-4F14-9F87-FBB2F18B6B98.jpg so we reconfigured them into three 4' x 12' planters, and turned the left-over corners into a 24" round planter. I think Dr. Magills' two tall planters are 36" tall. They are also available in 11" and 17" heights. We went with the later, due to the terrain in our garden. Would buy again.

Last edited:

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
After visiting Dr. Magill's garden, I choose to purchase metal planters from the same 'vego garden' vendor to replace the deteriorating wood ones we inherited with the house. The planters are modular, and can easily be configured into various shapes. We bought four 3' x 8' planters, but realized four would make the garden too crowded,View attachment 70438 so we reconfigured them into three 4' x 12' planters, and turned the left-over corners into a 24" round planter. I think Dr. Magills' two tall planters are 36" tall. They are also available in 11" and 17" heights. We went with the later, due to the terrain in our garden. Would buy again.
Looking good @Otisdog

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Concerning your raised garden beds. Are they feeding troughs.? Are there lower and wider ones available.? I ask, because the inherited beds at my home are starting to fail and I am in need of new ones. These look nice..thanks..
The round galvanized planters were fabricated per order from Contech - local industrial metal fabricator
Diameter and height per your specs
Very HD
You can sit on the edge
Others as @Otisdog described

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
There is a place in my neighborhood where a guy sells bamboo. His yard is covered with different types of bamboo and I see people there quite often buying some.
I have no affiliation with them other than I live nearby and seeing this place on my daily walks.
Its off the beaten path, so just an FYI if anyone is looking for bamboo plants.
SF

https://www.bamboocollective.com/plant-selection

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
There is a place in my neighborhood where a guy sells bamboo. His yard is covered with different types of bamboo and I see people there quite often buying some.
I have no affiliation with them other than I live nearby and seeing this place on my daily walks.
Its off the beaten path, so just an FYI if anyone is looking for bamboo plants.
SF

https://www.bamboocollective.com/plant-selection

Fair warning, Bamboo will spread rapidly and are one of the hardest plants to dig up and remove, first hand experience from 20 years professional landscaping.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Fair warning, Bamboo will spread rapidly and are one of the hardest plants to dig up and remove, first hand experience from 20 years professional landscaping.

100% agree. There was some at my place when I moved in and it was a battle to get rid of it.
SF

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
This is my first year growing this variety so we will see. I’m expecting a standard poblano type which can vary in heat level. Sometimes you get a wild card extra hot one in the mix. I’d imagine they get hotter with more ripening time on the bush.
View attachment 71064
Oh, oops i just saw you were asking about Jimmy Nardello, not poblano. They are not spicy at all. A really deeply flavorful sweet frying pepper.