2023 Bamboo Fling?

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Some of my pics from the fling.

Two Sharpes Spey Rods, an 8' Phillipson and a box of classic reels...
View attachment 67693

From left: Greg Armstong, Wayne Cline and Salmo G...
View attachment 67694
What the day was all about...
View attachment 67695

View attachment 67696
Ron Raport (on left) and Tim Cottage (middle) talk Constables while Mike Monsos (back turned) explains his wonder tapers.
View attachment 67697
Dennis Worley talks bamboo spey...I learned that the Bridge Wintertide pairs nicely with my 13' Sharpes spey rod.
View attachment 67698
Dave, thanks for spurring us to a set date and time. Other than a cool breeze it was darn near perfect for our bamboo gathering and it was awesome to see everyone who made it today and to try out so many great fly rods. Ron

Denwor54

Life of the Party
Thanks everyone for setting this up, I really enjoyed casting all the different rods. It was also fun to meet up with you guys and playing around with the your Sharpes rods Dave. For me being a new bamboo rod builder it is neat to see how unique and diverse the rods that are there. I look forward to future get togethers and hope that as I progress I will have rods that can compare to what you guys have built. Dennis

Paige

Wishing I was fishing the Sauk
Thanks everyone for setting this up, I really enjoyed casting all the different rods. It was also fun to meet up with you guys and playing around with the your Sharpes rods Dave. For me being a new bamboo rod builder it is neat to see how unique and diverse the rods that are there. I look forward to future get togethers and hope that as I progress I will have rods that can compare to what you guys have built. Dennis

Did you bring a micrometer with you? 😀

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
It was great to see everyone again, and to meet some new folks as well!

I envy the ability of those of you building your own bamboo rods. Some really nice rods being produced and a high degree of craftsmanship being shown.

This is always an enjoyable event, and any of you that are even mildly interested in bamboo should plan on coming to the next one.

And yeah, thanks to Dave and others who helped to get this scheduled and to keep it on track!

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I actually remembered to bring my camera today. However I didn't remember to take it out of my pack and take a few photos. So I'm glad that some of you got some pictures! Many of these rods are far beyond craftsmanship. They are artistry in bamboo! All that, and you can even fish with them too!

Mike Monsos

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I think this Fling is a great way to find new taper treasures, so many different personalities of rod actions that I'm sure you will be impressed with at least one or MORE rods I'd like to own and fish. Everyone is so generous to string up and let anyone who cares to try out the rod taper and action. I believe that SalmoG shared a couple of rods that I really liked and had never had the pleasure to cast. One was a Peter McVey's rod taper, and another was a Thramer taper. Both of which I wished I could make a copy of.

So, to sum this up you can't find a better place to begin the bamboo journey or continue to discover new and great rods to fish. Remember bamboo rods are made to be fished! ;)

jerry

Steelhead
Looks like everyone had a good time. nice photos, sorry I couldn't make it this year. What do you guys think about having the fling in Kitsap County next year? Before covid we held it Island Lake in Silverdale and it seemed to work well. We could hold it May so we might be able to catch a fish or two.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
First time caller here. I'll be back. It was great to meet everyone and I think I eventually got most of the names down. Although I have a few rods I was not very well versed in them and picked up a few pointers on using them and taking care of them. Of course being a reel guy I was able to spot a few gems in the crowd. :)

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
There were so many great rods there, but the highlight for me was being able to see and hold/waggle a true piece of bamboo rod making history. Greg brought his "US Net & Twine Co. - Izaak Walton" to the gathering. That rod, made in the late 1800's, was made by a small maker comprised of three of the biggest names in bamboo rod history: Ed Payne, FE (Fred) Thomas and EW (Eustice) Edwards. Those three makers all worked together as apprentices to the original Leonard and all three went on to make the most innovative, quality and collectible rods ever made. To see and hold a rod made by those three legends was memorable to be. Thanks Greg for bringing it! Ron

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Mike,

If you would like to mic the taper of any of my McVey rods, we can make that happen.

Dave,

We'll just have to make an arrangement so that you can cast it. And I can bring it to subsequent bamboo flings. It's quite the thunderstick, and I don't see myself seriously fishing it in the future, given the lighter weight alternatives I have.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Sorry I missed it, again, since I was down in Bend this weekend. I did manage to get my 7.5 ft Fishkill out on the Metolius yesterday, so maybe was there in sprit. We need to do something similar in Portland.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
There were so many great rods there, but the highlight for me was being able to see and hold/waggle a true piece of bamboo rod making history. Greg brought his "US Net & Twine Co. - Izaak Walton" to the gathering. That rod, made in the late 1800's, was made by a small maker comprised of three of the biggest names in bamboo rod history: Ed Payne, FE (Fred) Thomas and EW (Eustice) Edwards. Those three makers all worked together as apprentices to the original Leonard and all three went on to make the most innovative, quality and collectible rods ever made. To see and hold a rod made by those three legends was memorable to be. Thanks Greg for bringing it! Ron
You're welcome Ron, happy to share.

I'm not sure why we like the really "old" stuff and why it appeals to us so much, but it has a special draw doesn't it? There's so much tradition and history in fly fishing that many don't yet appreciate.

And, we can still catch fish with it!

Hoping we get more new folks to next year's event.

IMG_5916.jpeg

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Sorry I missed it, again, since I was down in Bend this weekend. I did manage to get my 7.5 ft Fishkill out on the Metolius yesterday, so maybe was there in sprit. We need to do something similar in Portland.
Sorry you missed it, hope you had luck on the Metolius...I hope to actually catch a trout there someday on one of my many visits to the area...but for me its still a beautiful place to cast a line, LOL!

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Sorry you missed it, hope you had luck on the Metolius...I hope to actually catch a trout there someday on one of my many visits to the area...but for me its still a beautiful place to cast a line, LOL!
🦨🦨🦨