2023 Bamboo Fling?

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Is the group OK with offering a few items for sale at the gathering? I have an 8' 2/2 5/6 wt Payne 102 finished by Dick Hedges that is a nice caster but no longer needed now that I finished my Payne 201 clone, a 7' 5wt 2pc blank I bought from Dick Hedges that I mounted a seat and cork on but won't finish and a new 2-3/4" Iwana Retro Trout fly reel that I'd like to sell. Ron

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Is the group OK with offering a few items for sale at the gathering? I have an 8' 2/2 5/6 wt Payne 102 finished by Dick Hedges that is a nice caster but no longer needed now that I finished my Payne 201 clone, a 7' 5wt 2pc blank I bought from Dick Hedges that I mounted a seat and cork on but won't finish and a new 2-3/4" Iwana Retro Trout fly reel that I'd like to sell. Ron
I think it's a great idea to bring anything you want to sell. It allows a buyer to test cast before they buy.

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
If I had some stuff I wanted to sell I would certainly bring it.

jerry

Steelhead
I think it would be fine. This could be the beginning of a new aspect to the Bamboo Fling.

jerry

Steelhead
I just picked up an Orvis Battenkill III reel for my rod built by Olivia Elia. Looks sooooo good. Now I have to find the right line for it. Plan to take it to Knouff Lake in BC in June. A special rod like this deserves to be fished in special places, but they must be fished.

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I just picked up an Orvis Battenkill III reel for my rod built by Olivia Elia. Looks sooooo good. Now I have to find the right line for it. Plan to take it to Knouff Lake in BC in June. A special rod like this deserves to be fished in special places, but they must be fished.
Did you look at the CFO ? Originally designed and prototyped by Stan Bogdan and it hasn't changed too much from a functional standpoint. Its the only reel sold by Orvis with a true classic heritage.
This is not to say the Battenkill isn't a nice enough reel. Just sayin.

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
If you're there in the third week of june fish size 8-10 dry olive sedge flies off the sunken island in the middle of the lake from 10 to 2. I did many years ago and caught a 24" 5 pound kamloops.

jerry

Steelhead
Did you look at the CFO ? Originally designed and prototyped by Stan Bogdan and it hasn't changed too much from a functional standpoint. Its the only reel sold by Orvis with a true classic heritage.
This is not to say the Battenkill isn't a nice enough reel. Just sayin.

The shops I frequent didn't have any CFO reels. Maybe for my next bamboo rod. They do look good though. For bamboo rods I like the simple classic look. I have several old Pflueger Medalist and Progress reels for my ventage bamboo rods that I have worked on.

jerry

Steelhead
If you're there in the third week of june fish size 8-10 dry olive sedge flies off the sunken island in the middle of the lake from 10 to 2. I did many years ago and caught a 24" 5 pound kamloops.
The third week of June is the time we will be there. Thanks for the heads up on the fly.

jerry

Steelhead
Nothing has been posted in a couple of weeks. I hope no one has lost interest in coming to the Bamboo Fling. I know I have been looking forward to wiggling a couple of rods and some discussion about bamboo. I am looking forward to showing off my new to me, my 130 year old Hardy rod.

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'll be there! I'll probably bring three rods, but which ones....? Probably...

7-1/2' Heddon #14 1-1/2f which is the lightest taper Heddon made and a sweet 4 wt.

8' clone I built to replicate a Payne 201 on a blank by Spokane's Jeff Pope, a very capable yet smooth 6 wt. Even though its not a real Payne its taper is worth trying.

8-1/2' Chris Carlin LL, a hollow-built rod that is happy on the Yakima River and sends a 6 wt a long ways. This was a custom build for me by Chris and my favorite Carlin taper I've ever cast.

But is anyone bringing a Granger??? Those round out my collection...a GA7633, an GV8040 and a GF8642. History AND function with these. ???