Search results

1. M_D

No fish were harmed for this report

I was out in Vermont for the last month giving my sister a well deserved break from assisting our aging father who's slipping into dementia. I brought some fly tying and fishing gear along, intending to get a little fishing in and I thought I'd share the experience. Two days after my wife and...
  2. M_D

Vermont Info

Thursday morning I fly out to the Land of Zak to help out with an aging parent. I'll be out there for nearly a month in order to give my sister a break. I'm telling myself I'll have at least one free day per week and/or a couple hours per day here and there. I will be in the area of Stowe...
  3. M_D

NFR Shit Oh Dear

4. M_D

Damn😲

5. M_D

Stillwater Sciatica Hacks

Evidently, at age 62, I'm now in the phase to pay the piper for previous abuses to my body. The last couple years have been a roller coaster ride between feeling good and having limited mobility with the low points becoming more frequent and longer in duration. Aside from trying not to do...
  6. M_D

What’s so hard about bass fishin’?

Just kidding….😏
  7. M_D

RIP Jimmy

What a sad day....lost another good one. The happiness he created and shared....
  8. M_D

Transducer Installation Question

I'm replacing my inconsistent 20 year old fish finder with a new Garmin Striker 4. (Thank you DryFlyDan for the sales alert) Installation instructions call for placing the transducer on the starboard side because of the clockwise propeller rotation. The transducer for the outgoing fish...
  9. M_D

Roll Top Desks FYI Olympia area

For anyone interested the Olympia Habitat for Humanity has two nice little roll tops for sale. Both appeared to be solid wood and in decent shape Enjoy Mike d
  10. M_D

Lower Skagit March Opener

I've never fished the lower Skagit before and I have a crazy amount of questions but the most important is: Is it worthwhile? I scouted around a few times after the March opener last year only to realize walking & wading didn't seem to be the way to go, so I never wet a line. I finally got...
  11. M_D

Roll Top Desk - Whatcom County area

This is another FYI posting…. Alsum Trading Company (an antique shop in Lynden) had this roll top for sale I know nothing about the desk. I simply thought I’d pass it along for anyone who might be interested. FWIW, it wasn’t clear how long the $150 sale would last. The clerk said someone...
  12. M_D

Breathin' thru my eyelids

After getting blanked my last couple outings, I was hoping last week's meeting on the mound regarding sink tip leader length was gonna give me the MoJo I needed to bring the heat and finish the (river) season. Yesterday, I wanted everything to be perfect since I only have 2 or 3 more outings...
  13. M_D

Old School External Frame Pack - Whatcom County

This is another FYI posting where I am not associated with item. That said, if someone in the Whatcom county area is looking for an external frame pack to carry a float tube in to a mountain lake, there is a decent looking one at the Bellingham Valu Village. It's an old school Jansport long...
  14. M_D

Sink Tip Leader Length?

What length do you pro's use when swinging a sink tip in water with 4-6 feet (or more) of visibility? I fished some beeeeaaaaautiiiifullll runs today and didn't get a bump. A unicorn would have been nice but mostly my decisions were made in hopes of some bull trout action....but that didn't...
  15. M_D

Vintage Mercury Outboard

First off, I am not associated with this motor in any way. I simply thought I’d post this since it seemed kinda cool and I thought someone might want it to compliment a vintage bamboo rod. :cool: If anyone is interested, it’s at the Habitat for Humanity store on Cornwall Avenue, Bellingham
  16. M_D

Glad I did it.....

My local river closed Friday cuz not enough brats have made it back to the hatchery and since I really, really, really wanted some river time, yesterday I decided to head south. Evidently, I'd gotten out of the habit of going to this place because when making a journal entry at the end of the...
  17. M_D

Double Rainbow.....Oh My God

So with Christmas finally behind us, I was anxiously watching the weather so I could get some time on the water. Monday was oh so close. It looked like there might have been a 3 hour window between storms but Windy was in conflict with the National Weather Service and since it's a two hour...
  18. M_D

Record Keeping-Recipe Books

What do you all do to keep track of your fly recipes and stuff? I'd gotten into the habit of using Powerpoint as my recipe book.....I could snap a quick picture of the fly or my dye bath and then type in whatever information I wanted...hook size feathers, dye ratios....whatever. I just...
  19. M_D

Sea Run 101

This fall I decided to focus on troutski's rather than salmon but I've been getting my butt kicked while trying to find some sea runs in my local river, so I thought I'd ask for some pointers. For background, I live in Whatcom county/NW Washington. Maybe this makes for different SRC fishing...