Transducer Installation Question

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
I'm replacing my inconsistent 20 year old fish finder with a new Garmin Striker 4. (Thank you DryFlyDan for the sales alert)

Installation instructions call for placing the transducer on the starboard side because of the clockwise propeller rotation. The transducer for the outgoing fish finder was mounted on the port side. I don't want to drill more holes if it's not really necessary so I'm wondering what difference it makes as to which side the transducer is mounted on.

Thanks in advance

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
Mike, you could do a trial run on the port side and see how it works. Use some zip ties to fasten the transducer to a dowel or stick and then zip tie the dowel to a
c- clamp that fits on your transom and do a test that way.

RCF

Life of the Party
I did not realize electronics now know the difference between the left hand side versus the right hand side. Heck, I am not always sure anymore...

Per Garmin ---> left side:

I agree with @Wanative in post above...

Last edited:
Reactions: M_D

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I would like an explanation of Garmin's theory. Right off the top of my head I would assume that the clockwise rotation of the prop would tend to turn the boat slightly to port. Mounting the transducer to starboard would counteract that tendency by inducing a small amount of drag to counter the prop's torque. But that is just a wild eyed guess, I would welcome some real facts.

Reactions: M_D