Sink Tip Leader Length?

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
What length do you pro's use when swinging a sink tip in water with 4-6 feet (or more) of visibility?

I fished some beeeeaaaaautiiiifullll runs today and didn't get a bump. A unicorn would have been nice but mostly my decisions were made in hopes of some bull trout action....but that didn't happen either.

I've gotten skunked my last two river outings and typically when this happens, its an opportunity to beat myself up and re-evaluate everything I do. At the end of this day, I found myself fixated on leader length.

When using a sink tip (regardless of the sink rate) I use a leader that's 3-4 feet long....usually around 4. I seem to recall reading or hearing somewhere that once a leader gets longer than 4 or 6 feet you're potentially losing the effect of your sink tip. But today, I started wondering if the fish were being spooked by the sink tip since the visibility was so good. Of course, this was at the end of the day so I didn't make any changes and, instead, figured I'd ask you all.

So...what's your preferred length in water with good visibility?

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
I find my best success in clear water to be right down on the rocks. I like t14 and 2ish ft of leader to a buoyant fly in this situation. Fly ends up a few inches above the rocks while the tip ticks along it. I have been skunked doing this too but catch more than I do with other techniques.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I'm super scientific about it, here's my process:
Take spool of Maxima with one hand
Put other hand on tag end of Maxima
Pull some maxima (anywhere between 3-ish feet to 4-ish feet) off said spool and say out loud "that'll do".
Cut at spool.
Done.

Pro tip: you have to say out loud "that'll do" otherwise nobody (including the fish) know you've acquired the correct amount of Maxima for your leader.

Try it, you'll see.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Pull some maxima (anywhere between 3-ish feet to 4-ish feet) off said spool and say out loud "that'll do".
Cut at spool.
Done.

Pro tip: you have to say out loud "that'll do" otherwise nobody (including the fish) know you've acquired the correct amount of Maxima for your leader.

Try it, you'll see.
yeah, but which Maxima?

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Cut at spool.
Done.

Try it, you'll see.

This is the way.

But really, to be exact. I cut 3.5 feet so it allows EXACTLY 3 fly changes so when I get to the third I’m at EXACTLY 3’ and that’s when I catch all the fish.

But really, at least when your stripping they’re angry MFers and don’t give a shit about your leader.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
yeah, but which Maxima?
Great question. Selecting the correct Maxima is another very scientific process:
Grab gang of spools from the the parachord they are hanging on.
Pick one of the spools. Any spool. Doesn't matter.
Say outloud "hope I don't catch any X pounders today" with X equalling exactly 1 pound more than the listed test strength of whatever Maxima you grabbed. Could be 12 pound ultragreen, 10 pound clear, 16 pound chameleon....doesn't matter.

PS, expect results when you try this. 13% of the time, this works every time.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
This is the way.

But really, to be exact. I cut 3.5 feet so it allows EXACTLY 3 fly changes so when I get to the third I’m at EXACTLY 3’ and that’s when I catch all the fish.

But really, at least when your stripping they’re angry MFers and don’t give a shit about your leader.
Do you just tie on and immediately cut off 3 flies right at the get go? I would. Pretty solid pre game routine if I don't say so myself.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'm not really sure who the pros are, but I've heard fishing guides say something around 4' being a good leader length for sink tip lines. I assume they're right because that's the same length I aim for. Sometimes 3' (they get shorter as I lose and change flies.) and sometimes a bit longer than 4'. I surveyed a stratified random sample of fish, and they reported that they don't really care. So there you have it.

If you're fishing for steelhead and don't get a bump, that don't mean nuthin'. So it definitely means it's NOT time to re-evaluate everything or anything. One of the primary ways we learn how to do things, including fishing, is through the process of trying things and getting positive feedback. Steelhead can only offer positive feedback if they happen to be there to reject or take your offering and presentation. Not receiving any feedback at all doesn't mean you are doing it wrong. More often than not there simply are no fish there. Or there might be and you're fishing poorly. How do you know? You don't for sure.

Fortunately on the north sound rivers where you fish there are bull trout. They take swung flies pretty much the same as steelhead. So if you occasionally hook bull trout, you're probably doing it right. At least at the times when you're hooking up. I swear steelheaders over-think their approach to fishing - to no or little avail - than all other fishermen.

Oh, I use a 4' leader when the water has 10" visibility, and I use a 4' leader when the water has 20' of visibility. K.I.S.S.

JACKspASS

Life of the Party
Leader length 4-8' ... shorter if water is colored and fishing shallow, longer in deeper, clearer water. Maxima UG. The most important thing is get your mind right, don't get ansy, cover the water methodically but don't spend too long in one spot. 90% of steelhead rivers are void of fish, find the 10% water and work it thoroughly. Pink, purple, orange, black n red

Reactions: M_D