Sink Tip Leader Length?

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Keep this in mind. If you are trying to sink a heavy fly a long leader and shorter tip is the answer for pockets and such. You can do the opposite with a weightless or light fly. You can also drag a light fly down with a short leader. Leader length depends on what you are trying to accomplish. My leaders are anywhere from 20" to six feet plus when fishing tips. Without tips I like rod length to rod and a half plus some.

It does matter. Folks saying it doesn't or that don't think about it are generally fishing uniform nice swing water. If you have variables or boulders on the peninsula it matters as you want the fly fishing right in the right spot. Don't overthink it but think about it.

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
It's probably more likely that nobody was home.

The pro's that have different leader setups also know their river intimately and where the lies are at different river levels (the most important part of steelheading, IMO). If you don't know where the steelhead will sit, I'd just stick with the 3-4 feet of ultragreen.

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
While determining the most appropriate leader length is accounting for a combination of variables including water clarity, water velocity, water depth, fly size, sink tip type, fish size and tippet diameter it is most important to remember that under absolutely no circumstance should the length of the leader be shorter than the distance between the eye of the fly and the end of the fly line.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Clearly, I'm doing it all wrong. My leaders are typically 7 to 8 feet long (maybe a bit longer with a new tippet and bit shorter with a number of fly changes) however after 4 decades not sure changing my approach is in the cards.

Curt
Now don't you wish you'd been doing it right all along? Think of all the additional fish you would have caught!

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
my go to for lakes...for steelies, 10# green Max..can tow a boat with that stuff..:)
Fair enough. I haven’t used a sinktip in a lake in a loooong time. On the river, it’s more about getting the fly turnover I want from a straight leader. With most of the flies I fish, I do better with 12# and up.

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
I think leader length/setup in terms of getting the fly to the strike zone and keeping it there is a valid question. However, asking this question is folly in terms of spookiness when you are ripping up the water while casting, throwing a giant thick fly line attached to a chicken with a 13’ plus rod, to fish that have been dive bombed by birds of prey and chased by sea dogs their entire lives.

If you think fish are spooky, fish more downstream with longer casts. Distance yourself from the fish as much as possible. Your cast and wading is what is scaring them, not your leader.

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I think leader length/setup in terms of getting the fly to the strike zone and keeping it there is a valid question. However, asking this question is folly in terms of spookiness when you are ripping up the water while casting, throwing a giant thick fly line attached to a chicken with a 13’ plus rod, to fish that have been dive bombed by birds of prey and chased by sea dogs their entire lives.

If you think fish are spooky, fish more downstream with longer casts. Distance yourself from the fish as much as possible. Your cast and wading is what is scaring them, not your leader.
Good point JB.

This is an advantage of skagit style casting. You can put the anchor close to you on the up-stream side.

In general I rune 3-4' of 12# maxima for tips in the winter. I start at 4' and put a new leader on when I think it gets too short. I rarely fish anything weighted.

On the river I think that the Op is fishing, my set up has been generally unproductive. I believe that some rivers that run fast, are best fished differently. However, I don't care to fish that way.

The person that I know who does best flyfishing on that river does quite a few things different than I do. He seems to fish at very individual small areas within a larger run. More mending, often shorter casts, lightish tips. He pays attention.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Wait im supposed to tie a fly on too? Explains so much

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
While determining the most appropriate leader length is accounting for a combination of variables including water clarity, water velocity, water depth, fly size, sink tip type, fish size and tippet diameter it is most important to remember that under absolutely no circumstance should the length of the leader be shorter than the distance between the eye of the fly and the end of the fly line.
Aren't you forgetting the length of the swivels I've seen on your squidros?