NFR 2022-23 ski season. Let's Go!!!!

Non-fishing related

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Swimmy is alive
He’ll be pulling for UGA big time tomorrow.
I don’t know why he isn’t around here much but I miss his input

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Mt Baker snow levels upcoming:

Thurs afternoon: 6000ft
Thurs evening: 6500ft
Thurs night: 6500ft
Fri morning: 6500ft
Fri afternoon: 6000ft

In that timeframe they are supposed to get over 5 inches of rain. No part of the ski area is above 5100ft.

Zak

Legend
I've noticed a few things in my personal journey through the different sports:

Tele: I started here, so it's my baseline. Even though I make probably 90%+ P turns on any given day, the "feel" of a tele turn done in the right snow conditions is super fun. Plus, shuffling/sidestepping around is so much easier. That being said, I've somewhat plateaued in my progression. I'm not going to start learning new tricks or getting extra gnarly because I'm older and don't bend anymore. I will also say that my switch from 75mm to NTN back in 2008 really saved my interest in tele. Better boots (which are now desperately obsolete compared to their AT counterparts) and bindings make for better skiing experiences for me.

Alpine: After a decade or so of freeheeling only, I figured I'd give alpine a shot. Sure, it's faster and more stable but it hurts a lot more when you crash, and I crashed a lot more since I was going faster and seemingly more stable until I was not! Plus, the stiffness was like riding a rigid bike again. While I still keep AT gear around for the rare occasion where super light and efficient is going to be the difference between success or failure, I rarely use it. In my experience, going from tele to alpine/AT made skiing less interesting. I'm never going to be a big trickster or huckster so for the things I do nowadays, I might as well be on tele gear.

Snowboard: This is a new thing for me in the last five seasons. Being based at Baker, there is no shortage of amazing snowboarders to watch and admire. Plus, as a longtime shitty surfer, I wanted to approximate that surfy feeling as best as I could. By my 10th day on a snowboard I could make the turns I've only dreamed of after 20 years of surfing, and I'm only getting better. I'm still ticking off "personal first snowboard descents" of lines I've skied hundreds of times, and there are plenty of lines that I know I'm not quite ready for. On a snowboard I'm seeing the progression that's been lacking in my skiing for a while.

There's a big difference in the way I look at the mountain depending on the gear on my feet. When I'm skiing, my lines are generally more fall line oriented, with terrain features playing less of a factor unless I'm aiming for airs. When I'm snowboarding I tend to draw out my lines much more and actively seek out terrain features to smash and slash.

I haven't gotten a chance to ride with Dano for a while but this vintage segment kind of sums it up for me. Schmidt is obviously THE MAN, but the lines Dano draws are unquestionably more "soul-y" to me. I can still spot his tuck-knee stance from a long ways away.

And then there's Austen. He's got to be my favorite snowboarder to watch:

As far as skiing goes, Markus Eder may have put together the best ski edit of all time with this:

I don't really have any big tele inspirations these days.

That last video is incredible! It reminded me of watching Warren Miller movies with my dad and my grandfather when I was a kid. I was never a great skier, but they were. My grandfather was skier with the 10th Mountain Division in World War 2.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
It has been quite a winter so far in interior Norcal. Snow removal is no joke this year as is ice dam chopping. Skiing has been amazing!
I work for a non profit that built and runs back country ski huts and yesterday two of our guys went up to help the caretakers dig down to the chimneys!!
That’s really great to hear.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
The shack nasties have been hitting me pretty hard lately since I haven’t been able to get out this month because of family things, life, etc. so I had plans to go fishing yesterday but of course my kid decided she REALLY wanted to go snowboarding so I bailed on my plans and took her up to Hood. She had a blast so it was worth it.

FD5E226A-C257-4AED-8FEC-E13C5CB64B7A.jpegA755B6DE-43DE-40D7-9D60-B5019C15DC57.jpegAA6B4FD7-AE78-4694-8654-CC03011AECFC.jpeg

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I thought Mikaela still had to break Ingmar Stenmark's record to have the all time record. Regardless, she is inspirational. And a class act.

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
I thought Mikaela still had to break Ingmar Stenmark's record to have the all time record. Regardless, she is inspirational. And a class act.
Check the date of my post. Did not mean to confuse you.

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
The shack nasties have been hitting me pretty hard lately since I haven’t been able to get out this month because of family things, life, etc. so I had plans to go fishing yesterday but of course my kid decided she REALLY wanted to go snowboarding so I bailed on my plans and took her up to Hood. She had a blast so it was worth it.

View attachment 51960View attachment 51961View attachment 51962
Cherish these days. They are gone before you know it. Believe me I know too well.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I’m afraid to say that the Japan trip mentioned in this thread ended tragically. I was shocked and very saddened to hear this.
I don’t know what else to say