NFR World Cup

Non-fishing related

DoesItFloat

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Not a really short list. 98 years of world cups is a lot of chances to score a hat trick. Today’s one was really legit though. Switzerland are a good team. Does Ronaldo ever start another game for Portugal? They looked like a much better team without him.
From 1930 to today there have been 53 hat tricks in WC competition.

That's 53 players who have scored 3 goals in a WC game in the span of 92 years.

It's not nearly as small a club as 4 or 5 goals in a game, but I'd call that a pretty short list.

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
WC is only every 4 years and 2 were skipped for WWII. As of this year, there have been 22 final tournaments, so that's > 2 hat tricks per tournament.

cheers

Travis Bille

I am El Asso Wipo!!!!!
Forum Supporter
Wait gets better. He gets subbed in scores on a breakaway only to be disallowed for being offsides.
Because he's gotta steal a couple yards because he's not the player he used to be.....

I'm not usually one to take joy in the failures of others, but it's fun watching him destroy his legacy with arrogance.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Because he's gotta steal a couple yards because he's not the player he used to be.....

I'm not usually one to take joy in the failures of others, but it's fun watching him destroy his legacy with arrogance.
I laughed when he tried to take credit for a header score earlier that his head never touched the ball…

Travis Bille

I am El Asso Wipo!!!!!
Forum Supporter
I laughed when he tried to take credit for a header score earlier that his head never touched the ball…
What is the point of that? It's baffling to me. A millions cameras and the whole world are watching, how does he think he's going to get credit for that? It's hilarious

DoesItFloat

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
WC is only every 4 years and 2 were skipped for WWII. As of this year, there have been 22 final tournaments, so that's > 2 hat tricks per tournament.

cheers
Let's do some conservative math for scope...

Minimum number of players per squad = 23

Squads per tournament = 32

23 x 32 = 736 total players each tournament (minimum)

22 tournaments x 736 players per tournament = 16,192 total players

Of 16,192 players, 53 have scored a hat trick in World Cup play.

53/16192 = 0.003

Even if it were 53 players out of 1000, I'd call it a short list.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
It's not nearly as small a club as 4 or 5 goals in a game, but I'd call that a pretty short list.
I had one of those games once…5 goals.

Had the hat before half, took myself out; other team came back and took the lead, in the 2nd, 4-3; went back in, got another 2; final score 6-4.

Everything just flows and touches are magical.

DoesItFloat

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I had one of those games once…5 goals.

Had the hat before half, took myself out; other team came back and took the lead, in the 2nd, 4-3; went back in, got another 2; final score 6-4.

Everything just flows and touches are magical.
I totally remember the days when you could sub in and out over and over. Those were fun times. Get a breather, drink some Gatorade and suck down a few orange pieces, then get back to it. This kid on my team for a few years had several games with like 7 or more goals. He went to play in South America and couldn't hang there.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
I totally remember the days when you could sub in and out over and over. Those were fun times. Get a breather, drink some Gatorade and suck down a few orange pieces, then get back to it. This kid on my team for a few years had several games with like 7 or more goals. He went to play in South America and couldn't hang there.
The teams I played for were a bit more Spartan…a full squad with 2-3 subs was a luxury…played many a game with just 10 men…and they were more to my liking as I could get lost in the crowd to roam the field at free will…we usually had the “win with ten”. (Kind of a catchy slogan) 😉

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Croatia.....job well done.