NFR Work

Non-fishing related

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Just curious if this happens to anyone else..

I wake up every morning and dred going to work. Depression, unhappiness and lethargic.. but I get to work and start doing my job and all is good. What's up with that??

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I’m retired now but the last year of my job I worked from home. That got really old. I missed interacting with people directly and spent all day on the phone. It was very tiring and I ended up retiring 5 months earlier than planned, but haven’t looked back and am really enjoying retirement. More time with our two year old granddaughter who calls me ”Bapa” is icing on the cake. Try to think of the things that you enjoy that makes it all good and focus on those in the morning.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter

I wake up every morning and dred going to work. Depression, unhappiness and lethargic.. but I get to work and start doing my job and all is good. What's up with that??

Given your oft stated problems with happiness in general, a talk with a mental health professional is probably the appropriate path for you to take.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
It means you are ready for change and a new challenge.
Been at this job less than 3 months .

I like it ok but I am not very good at it. I haven't cost the company thousands of dollars with my mistakes..I....... yet. But I do get to spend most of my days driving, often up in the mountains.

Reactions: JS

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Been at this job less than 3 months .

I like it ok but I am not very good at it. I haven't cost the company thousands of dollars with my mistakes..I....... yet. But I do get to spend most of my days driving, often up in the mountains.
Curious what job? In general, not specific company etc

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter

Given your oft stated problems with happiness in general, a talk with a mental health professional is probably the appropriate path for you to take.
This is almost to reddit levels of stalker.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
I’m retired now but the last year of my job I worked from home. That got really old. I missed interacting with people directly and spent all day on the phone. It was very tiring and I ended up retiring 5 months earlier than planned, but haven’t looked back and am really enjoying retirement. More time with our two year old granddaughter who calls me ”Bapa” is icing on the cake. Try to think of the things that you enjoy that makes it all good and focus on those in the morning.
I just tell myself, “I’m on vacation”…every work day.
It helps keep me sane. 😁

Otter

Steelhead

If you suffer from clinical depression like I do, here’s what I’ve learned helps me in that situation:
Activity and social contact. I believe that all humans, as social animals, need both, and you likely get both when you start to work.
COVID has hugely increased everyone’s stress. I read that the pandemic has caused something like 75% of us to have either new or worse depression or anxiety, so you are not alone!

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Curious what job? In general, not specific company etc

I was hired as a salesperson for stone counter tops, but because of the company's needs I am doing digital templating in people's houses.
If I screw up thousands of dollars of stone and labor and therefore money go up in smoke.
Lots of pressure for a stupid old fisherman.
Not much pressure to most other people I suppose but for me it's not easy.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
How long have you been at it; maybe you’re still just learning. The work you’ve been doing up until now probably didn’t challenge you much, and like all us old coots, the brain gets lazy. It’s hard just getting up to speed when your out of condition physically or mentally, and the strain of not wanting to cause an expensive f-up adds stress to the process. Hopefully it will get better.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I was hired as a salesperson for stone counter tops, but because of the company's needs I am doing digital templating in people's houses.
If I screw up thousands of dollars of stone and labor and therefore money go up in smoke.

Embrace the stress of challenge. Mistakes aren't fatal. If you aren't a little stressed you're static and not learning. It can be a grind I know but some of the most satisfying things in life start stressful. Channel that energy and thought into the vector that you are growing a new skill and talent. And stress associated is normal and because you care to do a decent job at it.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Measure twice…cut once.
(Three times in my case) 😉

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Consider talking to your doc about trying a low dose seratonin uptake inhibiter such as Sertraline. I deal with chronic pain from decades of surfing/snowboarding injuries, don't take pain pills or daily anti-inflammatories, so my sports med doc suggesed it, uses it himself for similar reasons, has made a difference in outlook.
Best of luck in finding more of a groove...

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
I've got 1 MCL surgery and 3 fully torn labrum fixed in my shoulders (and due for a 4th) from snowboarding. And I'm only 34...
Not liking the prospects of how I'm going to feel in 30 years :(
snowboarding - ripped off left pec, bucket handle meniscus tear, fractured ribs
surfing - fractured hip, snapped rotator cuff tendons, broken nose, numerous ribs, lotta reef lacerations
wear and tear - two herniated lumbar discs, chronic tendonitis, what the sports med doc calls'athletic athritis'

All good = hella fun memories in the bank. Swim, bike, lift, whatever it takes to keep moving, keep going, never stop...or turn into a fused block of concrete..

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
snowboarding - ripped off left pec, bucket handle meniscus tear, fractured ribs
surfing - fractured hip, snapped rotator cuff tendons, broken nose, numerous ribs, lotta reef lacerations
wear and tear - two herniated lumbar discs, chronic tendonitis, what the sports med doc calls'athletic athritis'

All good = hella fun memories in the bank. Swim, bike, lift, whatever it takes to keep moving, keep going, never stop...or turn into a fused block of concrete..

Same page. Will never stop.