NFR Work

Non-fishing related

Flymph

Steelhead
I have worked for 7 School District Superintendents in our community. One was a leader and the rest were bosses. Simple advice, find a job who's employer is a leader and not a boss! The only reason I didn't leave is this addiction I have for teaching and coaching kids.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I don't think that I have ever been depressed. I always look at the bright side of life. I've been down a time or two, but come back up. But this is just me.

SurfnFish

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Our brains rely 100% on chemical regulators, the slightest imbalances will manifest in various ways, it has nothing to do with will or character, and depression is often a genetically driven chemical imbalance that can be found in successive generations of the same family line.
My wife and her two brothers, from Danish stock, all suffer from chronic depression, and all went down different roads dealing with it.
Flash forward to a get together some years back, the three of them having a candid conversation, in which they realized after having tried a multitude of various anti-depressants, they had all ended up on the exact same anti-depressant without consulting each other, the causality of their depression a shared DNA that responded to the same chemical balancer.
And aging itself can generate depression as the body begins to fail to maintain chemical balance, which combined with less than desirable life circumstances, and/or chronic pain issues, can lead to various levels of anxiety and despair
Life's too short to feel miserable about it, and mental health professionals have many tools to help with that.

Last edited:

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Rob,

After 20-ish years of being on at least 3 forums together, I feel safe in saying you're the right person for that job precisely because you are detailed oriented, and care deeply about the implications of getting it wrong. I'd bet dollars to donuts that your employer sees that in you. They are blind if they don't, and sure as hell don't deserve your loyalty and commitment to quality if they hold it against you - if/when you do screw up.

Do your best, but you'll do better, and enjoy your work, if you get lost in doing it right versus stressing over getting it wrong. Hopefully you finally found your groove and will be rewarded for it.

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Is it the sales or the templating that you don't look forward to? When I started my career there was a point where they put me out there making decisions that had dollar implications that spooked me. I guess I did not feel qualified, and feared I would screw up and cost the company big money. It never happened. I made mistakes, as we all do, but learned to not beat myself up and get down to the work of making it right quickly. Eventually I was able to look at myself as competent, no, excellent, at what they were asking me to do. You will get there, and you will get there faster if you start giving yourself a pat on the back for everything that goes right.
Sales is another thing, I would think that countertop sales is a design job more than anything, help people find what they really want, and they will be happy working with you. I tried car sales for about an hour when I was young. Glad I didn't continue. Nothing in my personality was OK with any of that.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Is it the sales or the templating that you don't look forward to? When I started my career there was a point where they put me out there making decisions that had dollar implications that spooked me. I guess I did not feel qualified, and feared I would screw up and cost the company big money. It never happened. I made mistakes, as we all do, but learned to not beat myself up and get down to the work of making it right quickly. Eventually I was able to look at myself as competent, no, excellent, at what they were asking me to do. You will get there, and you will get there faster if you start giving yourself a pat on the back for everything that goes right.
Sales is another thing, I would think that countertop sales is a design job more than anything, help people find what they really want, and they will be happy working with you. I tried car sales for about an hour when I was young. Glad I didn't continue. Nothing in my personality was OK with any of that.

Actually the part I dread the most is doing something wrong and disappointing my boss.
I guess it's a pride thing in a way. I absolutely cannot stand people having a low opinion of me or failing.
I am sure there is a clinical name for that.
The job itself is actually pretty easy and like I said I get to do lots of driving in the mountains.
6 hours of it on Monday.

Part of is also I am used to doing things at which I am an expert.. to be the new guy who knows nothing is harder than the actual work..:)

On a good note, I just found out our car has been paid off for 18 months and the bank that was carrying the loan was just dumping the payments into a saving account.... they are sending me a check for $5300..
I've never paid full retail for a new high end fly rod, but I might just go shopping.. and Montana is next week..

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Actually the part I dread the most is doing something wrong and disappointing my boss.
I guess it's a pride thing in a way. I absolutely cannot stand people having a low opinion of me or failing.
I am sure there is a clinical name for that.
The job itself is actually pretty easy and like I said I get to do lots of driving in the mountains.
6 hours of it on Monday.

Part of is also I am used to doing things at which I am an expert.. to be the new guy who knows nothing is harder than the actual work..:)

On a good note, I just found out our car has been paid off for 18 months and the bank that was carrying the loan was just dumping the payments into a saving account.... they are sending me a check for $5300..
I've never paid full retail for a new high end fly rod, but I might just go shopping.. and Montana is next week..
"I absolutely cannot stand people having a low opinion of me or failing. I am sure there is a clinical name for that."

Might be "imposter syndrome."

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Man, that's a weird looking dog. Heck of a climber though! ;)

Reactions: Zak

Otter

Steelhead
Yes. And work with a real professional. My general was prescribing the normal stuff, just trying to find the right med. On one I tried committing suicide twice.
This is one reason medications can be very tricky. A doctor explained it to me this way:
A person with suicidal thoughts may not follow through if he or she is so depressed they just don't have the mental energy. But when they first begin taking an antidepressant, before the medication has had a chance to improve mood, their energy level may be activated enough to make them capable of actually commiting suicide.

cdnred

Life of the Party
Just curious if this happens to anyone else..

I wake up every morning and dred going to work. Depression, unhappiness and lethargic.. but I get to work and start doing my job and all is good. What's up with that??
It means you are ready for change and a new challenge.
Yup, I agree.. That's nature tellling you that you need a change. Maybe try and change your routine so it's different every morning. It may not be the work itself but the routine you put yourself threw every morning that needs to get changed. Variety is the spice of life..

cdnred

Life of the Party
I was hired as a salesperson for stone counter tops, but because of the company's needs I am doing digital templating in people's houses.
If I screw up thousands of dollars of stone and labor and therefore money go up in smoke.
Lots of pressure for a stupid old fisherman.
Not much pressure to most other people I suppose but for me it's not easy.
Perhaps you're in the wrong career if that's how you feel. Ask yourself what makes you the most happy and look for opportunities in that direction. I thought you were a fishing guide, did that not pan out any more..

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
This is one reason medications can be very tricky. A doctor explained it to me this way:
A person with suicidal thoughts may not follow through if he or she is so depressed they just don't have the mental energy. But when they first begin taking an antidepressant, before the medication has had a chance to improve mood, their energy level may be activated enough to make them capable of actually commiting suicide.
This is true for a number of antidepressants. Generally, the danger period is the first 2 weeks or so. It's a real danger especially with teenagers. The antidepressants that most commonly are associated with suicide get "black box" warnings. Any medical professional should let you know the potential. The reason seems to be that the drugs give people the energy to act on the negative thoughts that they have been having.
Spring time is a time when the most suicides happen. One theory is that the depressed often get just enough energy to do something rash. It is sort of the same idea.