NFR Work

Non-fishing related

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Perhaps you're in the wrong career if that's how you feel. Ask yourself what makes you the most happy and look for opportunities in that direction. I thought you were a fishing guide, did that not pan out any more..

There are no opportunities here in my chosen vocation, literally none whatsoever.
I have guided a little.. I know it's counter to the guiding culture but I think it's a dirtbag move to guide places that you barely know yourself.
A guide should be a person who has lived in an area and fished it for years if not decades and wants to share his or her knowledge with others. I have only lived here 3 years and only fished the river a handful of times. It would be unethical for me to presume to guide it.
In my opinion..

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
There are no opportunities here in my chosen vocation, literally none whatsoever.
I have guided a little.. I know it's counter to the guiding culture but I think it's a dirtbag move to guide places that you barely know yourself.
A guide should be a person who has lived in an area and fished it for years if not decades and wants to share his or her knowledge with others. I have only lived here 3 years and only fished the river a handful of times. It would be unethical for me to presume to guide it.
In my opinion..
Good for you.

However, countless guides have set up shot and then "fake it til they make it".

cdnred

Life of the Party
In my opinion..
You're located in Colorado now correct..? Where abouts Denver, Colorado Springs or Pueblo..? I worked/lived in Denver for some time until just before the Pandemic hit. I left in 2019 to retire for the second time and then the branch office closed just after I left. Colorado is a beautiful state but unless you have a specific skill set, all that's left is the service industry..

I think that the job you have now has lots of potential and opportunities for you. You need to re-focus your thoughts away from the mistakes that could happen and look towards the benefits you're providing. Job pressures affect people in different ways. Like others have said, sit down and discuss this with your boss in a positive, constructive manner..

We've all encountered obstacles in life. Don't give up hope, stick with it and look on the brite side.. ;)

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
You're located in Colorado now correct..? Where abouts Denver, Colorado Springs or Pueblo..? I worked/lived in Denver for some time until just before the Pandemic hit. I left in 2019 to retire for the second time and then the branch office closed just after I left. Colorado is a beautiful state but unless you have a specific skill set, all that's left is the service industry..

I think that the job you have now has lots of potential and opportunities for you. You need to re-focus your thoughts away from the mistakes that could happen and look towards the benefits you're providing. Job pressures affect people in different ways. Like others have said, sit down and discuss this with your boss in a positive, constructive manner..

We've all encountered obstacles in life. Don't give up hope, stick with it and look on the brite side.. ;)
Pueblo... if I lived in Denver there'd be loads of opportunities. Pueblo has nothing.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Actually the part I dread the most is doing something wrong and disappointing my boss.
I guess it's a pride thing in a way. I absolutely cannot stand people having a low opinion of me or failing.
I am sure there is a clinical name for that.
The job itself is actually pretty easy and like I said I get to do lots of driving in the mountains.
6 hours of it on Monday.

Part of is also I am used to doing things at which I am an expert.. to be the new guy who knows nothing is harder than the actual work..:)

On a good note, I just found out our car has been paid off for 18 months and the bank that was carrying the loan was just dumping the payments into a saving account.... they are sending me a check for $5300..
I've never paid full retail for a new high end fly rod, but I might just go shopping.. and Montana is next week..

Enjoy the learning curve. I manage people and never crucify them for honest mistakes in the learning curve. I only develop a low opinion of them if their reaction to the mistake is off. I'll take a guy wanting to make it right and learn from a mistake any day. I'll happily finance a mistake if I get a more professional person out of the deal who learns from it. I won't even be upset if the effort was sincere and the correction proper. People are allowed to make honest mistakes. Making routine mistakes of the same nature is the only time I really get upset, even then I don't let on. Risk is the currency that buys reward and I'm a firm believer in taking chances. I've lived a life of fairly extreme risk and I've not always come out on top. However, in general I've won the odds game and won more than I've lost. Ironically it's the losers I learned the biggest lessons from. But at the end of the day being comfortable taking risks is healthy and a healthy organisation will make that an environment safe to do so. If they don't they are not allowing the full potential of their people to truly develop. This is especially important in fields where the line between science, art, and craft are blurred. Just my two cents.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Today my boss told me that while " he wasn't trying to be a jerk" I'm slow for the quality of work I turn in. And that he is hoping that " a switch will turn on and I'll "get it"

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Today my boss told me that while " he wasn't trying to be a jerk" I'm slow for the quality of work I turn in. And that he is hoping that " a switch will turn on and I'll "get it"
Or…he could provide some more training…so you’ll “get it” quicker.
He is a jerk…otherwise he wouldn’t need to mention it when he starts a sentence.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Having been a boss...

Freshen up the resume, or get it, or at least convince your boss you will.

Whatever 'it' is.

There is always somebody else, somewhere else, something else...first rule of at will employment for both parties.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Having been a boss...

Freshen up the resume, or get it, or at least convince your boss you will.

Whatever 'it' is.

There is always somebody else, somewhere else, something else...first rule of at will employment for both parties.
I agree. I understand a company needing performance out of their people if my performance doesn't cut it they need someone else. I am OK with that. Furthermore I find my boss to be absolutely normal for construction trades. You either get it or you are out.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
I agree. I understand a company needing performance out of their people if my performance doesn't cut it they need someone else. I am OK with that. Furthermore I find my boss to be absolutely normal for construction trades. You either get it or you are out.
Well in most trades, the ability to get it is comensurate with training, and or experience.
Some bosses are assholes, as a young boss I certainly was. After a bit, changed my views and tried a new approach.
I used to move people around in different jobs until they found something they enjoyed and did well enough to make the company money. Then everyone was happy.
Nobody, and I mean nobody should ever stay in a job they despise for a check, life is too damn short for that. Sometimes people view a job as something to be tolerated, part of the game they dont have to like, but just do well enough to keep a check coming in.
Not what I would choose, as an employer or employee.
Good luck, if you like the challenge of the new job, you'll likely master things in time.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter

I’ve managed folks for a lot of years now and disagree with your boss’s approach. Especially for you. I don’t know you personally, but considering the topic of this thread, his approach was too direct. That means he probably has not taken the time to understand that about you. That makes him a bad manager of people.

That said, the balls in your court now. What’s your next move?

I know what mine would be; finding the most delicious crow pie recipe in existence and perfecting it.

I am way to competitive to let that sh*t slide.