NFR Woodstock ‘99 - Netflix

Non-fishing related

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
This albums actually pretty decent. I have several others. Durst is a pretty funny dude now from the interviews I've seen.
Limp_Bizkit_Three_Dollar_Bill_Y'All.jpg

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
So is the general consensus after seeing the doc that Woodstock '99 was better than Woodstock '69?
I don't think the '99 woodstock had that special musical performance like the '69 woodstock did. Hard to say anyone at the '99 woodstock was better than Hendrix in '69. That's just thinking about it from a musical perspective though.

JayB

Steelhead
Agree that Kid Rock, Limp Bizkit, etc are horrible music in the same way junk food is bad food, but I miss living in a world where up-tempo, guitar-based rock that kicked some ass and made you want to run into the garage and crank out a set of deadlifts, charge a line of moguls faster, etc.

The death of this style of music seems to roughly correlate with the dot-com bust and the emergence of a youth culture that...seems like it could use a bit more optimism, exuberance, and energy.

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
Watching that dumpster fire ‘99 unfold on Netflix was such a contrast from my memories of the time. In ‘99 I was going to see live music weekly and playing in bands several nights a week. On the rock side of the spectrum, bands like QOTSA, Ween, and Fu Manchu had my full attention. The jam band scene was rich and varied. And it was all readily accessible and pretty affordable. The audiences were often amped up but not violent.

None of the lineup they pulled together for Woodstock was very interesting to me.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
13815C1E-B89C-471A-9CC7-B633918C0DB7.jpeg
I’ve been to several multi band concerts in large venues in my youth…I’m no longer interested in attending any of them anymore…the last great concert with multiple bands I attended was at MSG…Clapton’s Crossroads. My wife and I flew from Honolulu to attend…two days of pure guitar hero bliss

Xoxo

I was too young for Woodstock 1969 and too old for Woodstock 99 but I watched the Woodstock 99 documentary and was fairly freaked. I kept thinking how i would feel if i knew i had a daughter in attendance. Disgusting how many of those guys got away with creating all that trouble and destruction and groping women and it gives me pause to know they are raising kids today.

However lots of blame goes to Michael Lange and those other two organizers who were deflecting responsibility and minimizing all of the chaos. I’m shocked more people didn’t die or that there were more reported rapes.

Xoxo

View attachment 29708
I’ve been to several multi band concerts in large venues in my youth…I’m no longer interested in attending any of them anymore…the last great concert with multiple bands I attended was at MSG…Clapton’s Crossroads. My wife and I flew from Honolulu to attend…two days of pure guitar hero bliss
Lots of great artists at that concert! I watched the DVD of that and was amazed at Gary Clark Jr. it was the first time i heard of him.

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
The death of this style of music seems to roughly correlate with the dot-com bust and the emergence of a youth culture that...seems like it could use a bit more optimism, exuberance, and energy.
Well, the next several years after this did not quite instill uh, optimism and exuberance...

Xoxo

I you watched the dvd, then you saw me and my wife...we were 8th row in the center...both nights...
How very cool! Do you have a screen shot you can put up here?

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
So is the general consensus after seeing the doc that Woodstock '99 was better than Woodstock '69?

I like my festivals heavy on music and light on riot/rape. There was very few noises I consider music at the 99 version. The original had lots of great music. Honestly if I stand back and zoom out I felt at the time and still now that Woodstock 99 was a blight on my generation and my generation was and is in many ways a blight period. I loathe mob stupidity. I loathe unintelligible music. I loathe over entitled shit stirrers. Like I said earlier nuking this festival from orbit makes sense. Both festivals in many ways defined a generation. However I look at the 99 version with shame not pride. Over corporate and public idiocy isn't anything to be proud of. Even the fact they recycled the name with little thought to the meaning is an absolute insult. This was the beginning of the end. This was the point where the shit escaped the sanican and into the water supply of public acceptability. My generation's kids, some just flat didn't have a chance when raised by morons who barely register as primates in the evolutionary scheme of things.