What's your favorite rod?

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
The 8'6" 4wt Cortland Brook is always an enjoyable rod to fish. Kind of a sleeper, not always the first one I think of, but loads of fun. Had it out today and I put it as a favorite for sure.

Attachments

• 20220824_cortland.jpg
    20220824_cortland.jpg
    902.5 KB · Views: 6

Tom.S

Smolt
Hey Tom! I've heard good things about that rod and remember hearing somewhere a while back that some people were buying them up and just holding on to them because they liked them so much. Thanks for sharing!
I’m glad I was able to sneak one. Really wanting to float a fly but I’m waiting for my lessons.

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Half a dozen close seconds at least, but #1 is a 8.5’ Winston DL 4wt. However, if I had to pick one rod to fish the rest of my time with it would be a saltwater safe Epic 686.

Last edited:

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
My favorite at the moment is a Meiser 14’ 7wt MKX. Runner up is my trusty Sage XP 9’ 6wt with fighting butt.

kerrys

Ignored Member
The 8'6" 4wt Cortland Brook is always an enjoyable rod to fish. Kind of a sleeper, not always the first one I think of, but loads of fun. Had it out today and I put it as a favorite for sure.
I have a Cortland CL 9’ 5/6 2 piece that is a wonderful rod. I forget sometimes that I have it. It is one of the best casting rods I have owned.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
Toss up.
I really love my burkie 8152. That thing throws anything I put on it. Long bellys, Skagits, 3D scandis, windcutter like sink tips.......
My new love is my T&T Contact 2, 4109. Euro nympher that throws a SA Scandi Lite, OPST Commando, and WF4s of many types exceptionally well.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I have a Cortland CL 9’ 5/6 2 piece that is a wonderful rod. I forget sometimes that I have it. It is one of the best casting rods I have owned.
Another sleeper? Many of us seem to think cortland and line, but they have usually have small lineup of quality rods that fish well. My old Cortland 444 LTD is a fun boo rod. I almost did their ESN rod but went with Echo, which is an efficient tool, but I do like to cast.

Attachments

• 20220728_engsoft.jpg
    20220728_engsoft.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Echo OHS 8wt. Because I can catch anything with fins in ten different ways with it. It's the ultimate travel rod anywhere chrome is found. I would literally grab it in a plane crash or boat wreck as a survival item and rhapsodise about it's virtues as I attempted to swing up a fish in the most sporting manner as starved survivors looked on and rolled their eyes.

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
Echo OHS 8wt. Because I can catch anything with fins in ten different ways with it. It's the ultimate travel rod anywhere chrome is found. I would literally grab it in a plane crash or boat wreck as a survival item and rhapsodise about it's virtues as I attempted to swing up a fish in the most sporting manner as starved survivors looked on and rolled their eyes.
The OHS 8 wt has become my two hand winter steelhead rod of choice, and it over head casts like a champ. F8F63F36-FD2A-4B9D-AC23-297D67EC6B2A.jpeg

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
The OHS 8 wt has become my two hand winter steelhead rod of choice, and it over head casts like a champ. View attachment 30350
I knew that a few of you really like that rod. I'm seriously considering it far an all around steelhead rod. What grain weight of Commando (or similar) head do you like for it?

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
I knew that a few of you really like that rod. I'm seriously considering it far an all around steelhead rod. What grain weight of Commando (or similar) head do you like for it?
I use Rio Skagit trout spey for 5wt, I think it is 375 grn, bombs 132 grn tips plenty far. This is for two hand skagit and combat whatever you cane make work casting.

I use Rio pike/musky intermediate for 8wt which is I can roll cast with a fly only anchor, but mostly over head, and SA Titan sonar for 8wt - strictly over head for me. I think both of those are around 300 grains.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The OHS 8 wt has become my two hand winter steelhead rod of choice, and it over head casts like a champ. View attachment 30350

How can a steelhead rod be both scalpel and sword? It begs high creativity swing fishing for salmon of all types and steelhead of any season. Superb fishing tool period.