What's your favorite rod?

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
Hey all,

I like fly rods as I'm sure all of you do. I've accumulated quite a few over the years. I know that this is not an easy question but please state what your favorite rod is and provide a brief summary as to why.

I'll start. I mainly fish the skinny water, as OMJ would say, for smaller trout so I'm partial to 3wt rods which I find do what I need/want best for this type of water. I can toss a dry, swing a wet or a nymph without issue with a 3wt. I know that they aren't for everyone or for every situation.

I really enjoy fishing my Winston biit 8' 3wt. It's really enjoyable to catch fish on, bends deep and I've caught hundreds of fish on it and it brings a big smile to my face every time I use it.

Let's hear what your favorite rod is and why.

Thanks!

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
1990s Sage LL 486-2. My first nice rod and still, by far, my favorite. It feels like an extension of me in a way my other rods don't. It's very versatile and can lob heavy buggers or make a size 16 fur ant tumble off a rock. Lately, it's been casting size 6 muddlers to small bass.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Just one? 😂

Because most of my fishing involves tiger muskies and/or big streamers, I've gotta go with my Epic Bandit 7'9" 10wt glass. As sweet as my NFC 10wt is, this one is just a little bit sweeter, and more versatile. Just an all around fun rod to cast & fish with a pretty wide variety of lines and line weights.

Last edited:

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
10'6" 3wt Cortland Nymph Series

I only fish rivers, but this is the only trout rod that I will ever need around here. If they made a 10ft version, I would probably prefer that. However, they don't and that extra 6 inches bothers me less than the cons of competing products would.

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
My favorite is my Sage GFL 9' 6wt my dad gave me for graduation in 1981. Been a lot of places. Broke it opening day '91 too drunk to fish. I managed to sober up after that, and dad had the rod repaired for me. A nice all around rod, I just fish it special mood days anymore.

Attachments

• 2021SteelTD.jpg
    2021SteelTD.jpg
    998.5 KB · Views: 6

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
I built two No. Fork Composites rods that I've grown fond of. Both are more of a med/fast flex. Once I learnt to slow down and let them unwind, I'm surprised how well they perform. They are both LMX-FAF rods. A 10ft, 6# for lakes (float tube) and a 11ft, 7# Switch for the shore. I've turned into a NFC groupie I guess...

troutstalker

Forum Supporter
I built two No. Fork Composites rods that I've grown fond of. Both are more of a med/fast flex. Once I learnt to slow down and let them unwind, I'm surprised how well they perform. They are both LMX-FAF rods. A 10ft, 6# for lakes (float tube) and a 11ft, 7# Switch for the shore. I've turned into a NFC groupie I guess...

That's awesome! It must feel pretty amazing catching fish on rods that you've built yourself!

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
That's awesome! It must feel pretty amazing catching fish on rods that you've built yourself!
I feel if you can tie flies you can build a rod. It's really not too difficult to build a basic rod. Yes, the fancy thread work on the guides takes experience, but a functional, plan jane rod is doable by most people. Check out the tutorial videos at Proof Flyfishing.com....thats where I learned..

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I feel if you can tie flies you can build a rod. It's really not too difficult to build a basic rod. Yes, the fancy thread work on the guides takes experience, but a functional, plan jane rod is doable by most people. Check out the tutorial videos at Proof Flyfishing.com....thats where I learned..
I'll have to check that out. I just have to wrap guides on two mostly built rods but for some reason I have this major mind block going on about it even though I know that it really won't take all that long.

troutstalker

Forum Supporter

I'll have to check it out as well. Thanks

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
My favorite rod is my GL3 9' 5wt. It was the first rod that I paid over 200 bucks for and caught a few big fish in Washington. But I have a TFO 7'9" 3wt that I use here in Montana. and since I only try to fish when it's nice weather. It's the only rod I like to use. It casts like a dream. I've caught fish to 18" with it.

Bajema

Life of the Party
My favorite is a 7’ bamboo 4wt I built With a blank from Anglers Roost. I’m not sure how it performs compared to other bamboo rods, but I love it (probably more due to the work I put into it rather than it’s performance). I fish it on small streams even though it’s overkill, and on some local lakes where the fish aren’t too big for it.

troutstalker

Forum Supporter
My favorite is a 7’ bamboo 4wt I built With a blank from Anglers Roost. I’m not sure how it performs compared to other bamboo rods, but I love it (probably more due to the work I put into it rather than it’s performance). I fish it on small streams even though it’s overkill, and on some local lakes where the fish aren’t too big for it.

That sounds like a special rod for sure!

troutstalker

Forum Supporter
My favorite rod is my GL3 9' 5wt. It was the first rod that I paid over 200 bucks for and caught a few big fish in Washington. But I have a TFO 7'9" 3wt that I use here in Montana. and since I only try to fish when it's nice weather. It's the only rod I like to use. It casts like a dream. I've caught fish to 18" with it.

I was hoping you'd share. Those are some nice rods Jim!

RCF

Life of the Party
Loomis IM6 9' 5# and 9' 6#. I bought them new in the 80's. Great moderate action, uses the whole rod when fighting fish, and the soft tip helps protect the tippet and detect subtle bites. I can feel the rod loading and unloading - rarely ever have to look at my back cast. I have had them sooo long they are an extension of my arm.

troutstalker

Forum Supporter
Loomis IM6 9' 5# and 9' 6#. I bought them new in the 80's. Great moderate action, uses the whole rod when fighting fish, and the soft tip helps protect the tippet and detect subtle bites. I can feel the rod loading and unloading - rarely ever have to look at my back cast. I have had them sooo long they are an extension of my arm.

Those Loomis im6 rods and others built on those blanks are highly regarded and highly desirable! 👍

Reactions: HOG