What's your favorite rod?

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Sage 691-4 XP is mine. It’s a Jack of all trades type of rod, will do some dries, excellent streamer rod, good on the salt too. Generally when I fish new waters with no real intel I will use this rod because of its adaptability. It will easily cast a variety of lines, it’s just a fun easy great casting fish fighting rod. This rod is always in my traveling quiver.

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
Sage 691-4 XP is mine. It’s a Jack of all trades type of rod, will do some dries, excellent streamer rod, good on the salt too. Generally when I fish new waters with no real intel I will use this rod because of its adaptability. It will easily cast a variety of lines, it’s just a fun easy great casting fish fighting rod. This rod is always in my traveling quiver.

Nice rods! The XP also has a large fan base for good reason.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
Hmm. To me, this is like asking what my favorite color is. People don't like the answer "it depends," but it does! Often my favorite color is bright yellow...but not for, say, pants. 😜

Small creeks: Cabelas 2wt CGR. Ultralight glass makes 6" fish fun

West side lake stocker trout, and Yakima: Albright A5 9" 4wt is a joy to cast, light enough to make smaller trout fun, and stout enough to excel at powering through wind or landing the occasional larger fish

Bass: Echo 8wt BAG Quickshot 'cause duh - bass on glass is a hoot

East of Cascades trout, light salt, bigger streams: 6wt Orvis Helios 3D, because dang, that rod can throw anything accurately, and the lightest rod I have with a fighting butt

And lest you think I'm just naming all my rods...I'm in the process of organizing my garage. This is the first time I've had them all in the same place 😬
20220822_200849.jpg
To my husband's credit - he walked past this yesterday and didn't even blink 💗

Last edited:

gpt

Smolt
there is no way to answer that question without considering what and where you are fishing. for smaller water, sage LL in 490 is the ticket. for bigger water like the OR Deschutes, sage 7100 designed to fight the wind, also a great bonefish rod. steelhead, my sage 896 and salmon in moving water, sage 1096, big fish, tarpon to bill fish, sage 1290. all my sage rods are original so they are either RPL or RPLX, i have to need to experiment with the newer stuff from this vendor.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I think if I was pressed to answer I'd say the 696-4 Z Axis is mine. For similar reasons to what you stated. Good stick.

troutstalker

Forum Supporter
Hmm. To me, this is like asking what my favorite color is. People don't like the answer "it depends," but it does! Often my favorite color is bright yellow...but not for, say, pants. 😜

Small creeks: Cabelas 2wt CGR. Ultralight glass makes 6" fish fun

West side lake stocker trout, and Yakima: Albright A5 9" 4wt is a joy to cast, light enough to make smaller trout fun, and stout enough to excel at powering through wind or landing the occasional larger fish

Bass: Echo 8wt BAG Quickshot 'cause duh - bass on glass is a hoot

East of Cascades trout, light salt, bigger streams: 6wt Orvis Helios 3D, because dang, that rod can throw anything accurately, and the lightest rod I have with a fighting butt

And lest you think I'm just naming all my rods...I'm in the process of organizing my garage. This is the first time I've had them all in the same place 😬
View attachment 28903
To my husband's credit - he walked past this yesterday and didn't even blink 💗

There is no right or wrong answer. A rod that's good for one thing might be the worst choice for something else. I totally agree about not wanting to wear yellow pants. 🙂
You have some nice rods there! Thank you so much for sharing!

troutstalker

Forum Supporter
Why choose only one? Horses for courses.

No need to choose one. Feel free to list all of your favorites. Rods are kind of like people. Some are better at certain things and some are better all around. Some are really beautiful and nice to look at and some not so much. 🤔

troutstalker

Forum Supporter
The three rods with which I could fish for damn-near anything, with damn-near anything.

T&T Contact II 10' 4wt

Stickman T-9 (9' 9wt)

Scott Sector 8'4" 13wt

There you go! Awesome! Thank you for your reply!