What's in your vise?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
My favorite sculpin pattern for searuns. I usually tie them with dumbbell eyes, but I wanted some lighter ones for when we hit the winter doldrums and I can strip slower without hanging up on barnacles and oysters. Bead chain eyes should accomplish that. I wish they made these in 5/32 size.

E47448A7-B5F4-457E-B389-7B582E03B9F3.jpeg

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
View attachment 38102
A sparkly orange October caddis skater for coastal Cutts and a Thompson river caddis because of all this talk of dry fly steelhead.

Haven't tied for months, the moose was frustrating to work with. Having the right tools, and quality tools/materials helps a lot.
I tried to do the moose in a dubbing loop and I don't have a dubbing loop spinner, or a hair clip. Any recommendations? Also what threads (brand and size) does everyone use for spinning hair. I have ultra thread in 70 and 140 and broke both multiple times. Time to start investing in the correct stuff.
Also a dedicated tying space would be nice.
View attachment 38103
Too much hair (in spotty clumps) and/or spinning too much may have cause your thread breakage. I only use UTC threads as a floss…I tie mainly with Danville 6/0 and Uni 8/0.

Reactions: Zak

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Too much hair (in spotty clumps) and/or spinning too much may have cause your thread breakage. I only use UTC threads as a floss…I tie mainly with Danville 6/0 and Uni 8/0.
I sometimes live dangerously and spin deer hair with Danville 6/0.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
That’s
I sometimes live dangerously and spin deer hair with Danville 6/0.
That’s what I use most times to spin deer hair…sometimes split thread too. Trick is not to over-spin thread…wrapping spun over some dubbing will also pad the whole works as well.

Reactions: Zak

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Maggot-1080.jpg

Maggot

Hook - Mustad 3906B, size 12-16

Thread - Black (White thread under the body)

Shell - Dark brown duck quill section over entire body*

Body - Light cream latex**

Hackle - Dark brown as a wet fly collar

Remarks: It is suggested that an under body of white floss or thread be wound forward before the latex; otherwise, the black thread may show through the body.

*I substituted black pheasant tail fibers. Note: This could be eliminated completely if desired

**I substituted cream colored wonder wrap (span flex) for the latex

The Book of Fly Patterns: Over 1,000 Patterns for the Construction of Artificial Flies - Eric Leiser

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Gartside-Philo-Caddis-Emerger-1080.jpg

Philo Caddis Emerger

Jack Gartside

Hook - Curved caddis, size 12-20

Thread - To match or compliment body color

Rib - Pearl krystal flash

Body - Blend of squirrel, rabbit and basal fluff from a gamebird feather

Wing/thorax - Pheasant aftershaft feather (may be clipped on top)

Antennae - Two strands of barred wood duck flank, extending past the hook bend

Remarks: This effective design by Jack Gartside may more appropriately belong in the section on caddis pupae and larvae. However, because of its name, and its slightly different structure, it is listed here with other emergers.

The Book of Fly Patterns: Over 1,000 Patterns for the Construction of Artificial Flies - Eric Leiser

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Orange-Charm1080.jpg

Orange Charm

Salmon Fly

Hook - Gamakatsu T10-6H or equivalent

Thread - Black

Tag - Flat silver tinsel

Tip - Fluorescent orange floss

Tail - Golden pheasant crest feather

Rib - Medium flat silver tinsel

Body - Black floss

Throat - Orange hackle fibers, beard style

Wing - Red fox squirrel tail fibers

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Peacock-Partridge-Flash-Back-Spider-1080

Peacock & Partridge Flash-Back Spider

Soft Hackle Fly

Hook - Mustad 3399 or equivalent

Thread - Fluorescent green for the hot spot and then black

Hot Spot - Fluorescent green thread overcoated with uv resin

Flashback - Green side of green/orange tinsel

Ribbing - Green wire

Body - Peacock herl