What's in your vise?

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
damn, I like that.

but, a couple of questions about it. Does that rabbit strip tend to get hung up on the hook with how it's tied in? Did you off-set the hook so that it has a better chance of finding some sort of flesh?
Good question, I don't know :) I've not tried this arrangement much before, figured if it hung up on either side it'll still be OK.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Good question, I don't know :) I've not tried this arrangement much before, figured if it hung up on either side it'll still be OK.

I'm sure you've checked out some of Gunnar Brammer's videos. He talks about tying on hooks similar to that (the PR378 I believe) and it's this weird mono tight loop with the hook bend/point within a loop of the mono. I can speak from personal experience, no fouling. That said, I don't like those types of hooks for my own use....but your experience may vary on that one...ot really depends on what you're trying to do with it. Bottom line though your fly is freakin' sweet!

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
damn, I like that.

but, a couple of questions about it. Does that rabbit strip tend to get hung up on the hook with how it's tied in? Did you off-set the hook so that it has a better chance of finding some sort of flesh?
What if ya pierced the rabbit strip and thread the hook n barb thru it?
Would you still get some tail action and mitigate the fouling nature?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
What if ya pierced the rabbit strip and thread the hook n barb thru it?
Would you still get some tail action and mitigate the fouling nature?
Personally, I have a love/hate relationship with rabbit. For "smaller" streamers, it generally works great, but yeah, that's a great idea as long as one keeps the total length to a minimum. I haven't played with the idea much, but sticking a little bit of glue where you want it to stay straight seems to work good for many. I'll be curious to hear from @Kfish once they play around with it more. The nice thing about rabbit is that it moves literally like nothing else....in such a good way.

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Personally, I have a love/hate relationship with rabbit. For "smaller" streamers, it generally works great, but yeah, that's a great idea as long as one keeps the total length to a minimum. I haven't played with the idea much, but sticking a little bit of glue where you want it to stay straight seems to work good for many. I'll be curious to hear from @Kfish once they play around with it more. The nice thing about rabbit is that it moves literally like nothing else....in such a good way.
I fished it for about 20 minutes at the local lake and it did not foul. Casts pretty well on my 7wt Centric and OBS Intermediate.

It was only about 20 minutes mind you but it swims awesome as is, no plans on changing anything.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I fished it for about 20 minutes at the local lake and it did not foul. Casts pretty well on my 7wt Centric and OBS Intermediate.

It was only about 20 minutes mind you but it swims awesome as is, no plans on changing anything.

Nice!

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
The-Mauritian-B-F-1080.jpg

The Mauritian

Salmon/Trout etc.

Bill Foran Creator

Hook - Mustad 3399, 3906 or equivalent, size 8 to 12

Thread - Black

Tail - Golden pheasant tippet

Butt - Black ostrich herl

Body - Green floss

Ribbing - Oval silver tinsel

Wing - White polar bear hair under dyed red bucktail or substitute calf tail

Throat - Grizzly hen hackle fibers

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Black-Delta-with-Big-Ass-1080.jpg

Black Delta with Big Ass

Atlantic salmon, rainbow and brown trout, whitefish, bass and even pike

Pierre Tremblay Originator

Hook - Mustad 79580, 9672 or equivalent, size 10
Thread - Black

Body - Pre shaped black foam spider body

Wings - Gray squirrel tail hair

Head - Orange chenille

Pre shaped foam bodies

Foam-bodies.jpg

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
The-Chu-Difficile-1080.jpg

The Chu Difficile

Atlantic Salmon

Mario Dussault Originator

Hook – Gamakatsu T10-6H or equivalent

Thread - Black

Tail – Gray hackle fibers ("gray" = "grizzly")

Body - Black and white wool with a small white section towards the back

Ribbing – Blue uni stretch

Wing - Dyed blue gray squirrel tail hairs

Collar - 2 turns of pheasant rump hackle and 2 turns of a blue-dyed hen hackle

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
The-Moppe-1080.jpg

La Moppe (The Mop)

René Parent Originator (2002)

Brook/Speckled Trout

Hook: Mustad 79580 or equivalent, size 8 or 10

Thread - Black

Tail - Red hackle fibers

Body - Rabbit fur dubbing of gray, beige, brown or black

Throat - Red hackle fibers

Collar - Guinea hen hackle

Last edited:

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
Saguay-1080.jpg

La Saguay (The Saguay)

Philippe Desfossés Originator

Bass Fly

Hook - Hook - Gamakatsu T10-6H or equivalent

Thread - Black

Tag – Oval silver tinsel

Tip – Fluorescent green and burnt orange floss or uni stretch

Tail – Red floss

Butt – Black ostrich herl

Ribbing – Oval silver tinsel

Body – Fluorescent burnt orange and green floss or uni stretch

Wing - A few chartreuse green bucktail hairs, under a few orange-dyed bucktail hairs, under a few chartreuse green deer tail hairs, under some chartreuse-green Krystal Flash fibers.

Collar - Chartreuse green hen hackle

Head - Black with red ring in its center

It was in 1990 that Desfossés invented the "Saguay", a streamer for fishing bass. "I wanted to create a fly using a lot of fluorescent materials: I believe that bass are attracted to what is very visible. I named this streamer "Saguay" in honor of Saguay Lafond, the son of a cousin living in Shawinigan." "Saguay" is an Indian word meaning: "the beginning of a river". This streamer, Philippe Desfossés usually throws it into the rapids and lets it drift, before bringing it back by jerks when it passes near the rocks, where the bass are on the lookout for prey.

Last edited:

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
La-Restaur-e-The-Restored-1080.jpg

La Restaurée (The Restored)

Atlantic Salmon

Tony Couture Originator

Hook - Gamakatsu T10-6H or equivalent

Tag - Oval silver tinsel

Tail - Black hen hackle fibers

Body - 1/3 yellow floss or uni stretch; 2/3 peacock herl