What Are You Eating?

Gary Knowels

Hack of all trades
Forum Supporter
Lunar New Year at a friend's house. His Chinese -Cambodian mother made us a feast. I provided the non-traditional loaf of sourdough, she provided steamed pompano, pork stuffed sticky rice, chow mein, ong choy, sweet and sour shrimp, Pekin duck, lemongrass chicken thighs, jasmine rice
IMG20240210174600.jpg

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Lol to be fair I had pork rinds last night 😁 but that salmon hits differently late at night.

Pork rinds are my go to "I want chips badly" snack these days. Not at all what I would call healthy, but low carb at least and do a good job satisfying the occasional urge for something salty and crunchy to scoop up a dip

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Friday night fish fry. Eulachon, homemade fries, cauliflower/broccoli slaw.
View attachment 103769
I'm assuming smelt you dipped or netted (or Eulachon you bought?). Dinner looks great - I remember as a kid helping my dad and his buddies at the smelt beach (one of those near Kalaloch). Dad had a dip net he built, those guys had a blast dipping smelt when the timing was just right.

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
Are those similar to smelt?
I'm assuming smelt you dipped or netted (or Eulachon you bought?). Dinner looks great - I remember as a kid helping my dad and his buddies at the smelt beach (one of those near Kalaloch). Dad had a dip net he built, those guys had a blast dipping smelt when the timing was just right.
Brute - Yes they are. They do differ from our surf smelt however.

Buzzy- those must have been some great memories. Dipping for surf smelt is a great way to spend a day and the scenery can’t be beat. My girlfriend dipped these on Thursday on the Cowlitz. I had to work so I couldn’t join in on the fun but she did let me clean them 😁

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Buzzy- those must have been some great memories. Dipping for surf smelt is a great way to spend a day and the scenery can’t be beat. My girlfriend dipped these on Thursday on the Cowlitz. I had to work so I couldn’t join in on the fun but she did let me clean them 😁
Back in the late 50's and early 60's (jeez, I am truly a senior citizen) my folks and two other couples with kids would camp at Kalaloch. I'm guessing now but I think Dad, Ernie and Ken planned these dates around smelt spawn (and low tides for razor clam digging). Sometimes the smelt didn't show (I guess smelt dipping is "fishing") but I distinctly remember one day on the beach when a big surf wave would roll up on the steep beach and there'd be dozens of smelt flapping on the sand and on that particular day dad's dip net was so full of smelt he had to drag it up the beach.

We'd set up a production line cleaning smelt back at camp and then have a smelt fry. Delicious! Thanks for sharing!

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Brute - Yes they are. They do differ from our surf smelt however.

I remember going to Fall River in MA with my grandpa as a kid with long handles dipping nets for the smelt run…we scaled them with your thumbnail and quick gut…then fried whole like you did…that was about 55 years ago