What are you drinking?

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
Tell me more about this: "Dingle single malt small batch 4" ...
When my wife and I were in Ireland the last time we toured several distilleries. Kilbeggan, Tullamore and Dingle. Dingle is a new startup being only a few years old. They made gin and vodka to stay afloat while their first whiskey matured. Their gin has won world award. But their whiskey is outstanding. locally sourced barley and water distilled and matured in Dingle. You can find it online and it runs about $100 a bottle.
A054F5BE-FCCD-4A08-8AE0-79F49B2854EF.jpeg

Ernie

If not this, then what?
Forum Supporter
Hmmm, this reminds me, I'm going to Utah in May. Perhaps I should pack beer to have on hand in the various outback places I'm heading.

To answer the thread title, it was zinfandel again last night. I ate the last of the beef ribs we fixed Friday. Mrs. Salmo didn't appreciate the ribs; too much fat and hard to trim. I just ate everything that wasn't bone. And I like the variation from beef streak, hamburger, and roast. It's hard for me to not like Zin with any beef meal.

Gonna' do chicken teriyaki and vegetable fried rice tonight, so we undoubtedly have chardonnay with that.
I lived in Utah for several years, back in the 80’s and it’s not difficult to buy liquor at a liquor store. Not sure if things have changed at the super market, but the beer (common brands too) had a lower % of alchohol.

cody-

Steelhead
I lived in Utah for several years, back in the 80’s and it’s not difficult to buy liquor at a liquor store. Not sure if things have changed at the super market, but the beer (common brands too) had a lower % of alchohol.
It got bumped up from 3.2% by weight (4.0% by volume) to 5.0% by volume around 2019, but they're a few decades or another winter Olympics away from full strength. State liquor stores are overpriced compared to neighboring states, but selection is fine... Unless you're trying to buy between mid-November and New Years, in which case the lines are 30 minutes long and stock is nonexistent.

Breck

The Whisk(e)y Dick
How is it? Passed on this bottle.. might try to find it at some of the whisk(e)y bars I frequent.
Very gentle, but you expect that from grain whisky.

Has a nice toasted marshmallow sweetness on the finish.

One thing that did come as a (unpleasant) surprise is the overly astringent nose. It was like sticking your nose into a glencairn filled with rubbing alcohol.

In all, it drinks nicely. I’m definitely not going to complain as the bottle was a gift from a close friend, shipped right to my front door.

I worked for Diageo as a whisk(e)y ambassador for nearly a decade, so their whiskeys have a certain fond nostalgia to them.

flybill

Life of the Party
Very gentle, but you expect that from grain whisky.

Has a nice toasted marshmallow sweetness on the finish.

One thing that did come as a (unpleasant) surprise is the overly astringent nose. It was like sticking your nose into a glencairn filled with rubbing alcohol.

In all, it drinks nicely. I’m definitely not going to complain as the bottle was a gift from a close friend, shipped right to my front door.

I worked for Diageo as a whisk(e)y ambassador for nearly a decade, so their whiskeys have a certain fond nostalgia to them.
You had a cool job with Diageo! If you want some samples of some new stuff i have let me know. I work at Redmond Ridge Liquors now and have some very good stuff here and in my personal collection! I love the Orphan Barrel stuff and have someone who will let me try this when she opens it! Cheers!20220307_154936.jpg20220308_072919.jpg20220308_204314.jpg

Breck

The Whisk(e)y Dick
You had a cool job with Diageo! If you want some samples of some new stuff i have let me know. I work at Redmond Ridge Liquors now and have some very good stuff here and in my personal collection! I love the Orphan Barrel stuff and have someone who will let me try this when she opens it! Cheers!View attachment 8173View attachment 8174View attachment 8175
Nice collection! I'm pretty sure I hosted a Crown Royal tasting at your liquor store 100 years ago.

GOTY

Steelhead
@Roper thank you for recommending the Redbreast 12! I just had one (then another) at a bar after work and it is my new favorite Irish whiskey!
Red Breast, Connemara, and Dingle are my go tos. RB27 might be the single greatest sip of liquid I've had in my life.

Spots for a special occasion, particularly the blue spot. Unbelievable how good it is. Plus they display nicely:

PXL_20220310_222051347.jpg

Red Breast, Connemara, and Dingle are my go tos. RB27 might be the single greatest sip of liquid I've had in my life
Spots for a special occasion, particularly the blue spot. Unbelievable how good it is. Plus they display nicely:

View attachment 8275
RB27, pricey indeed - have to add it to the list. My bunch mark is 25 Year old Bunnahabhain - twas like drinking butter.

GOTY

Steelhead
RB27, pricey indeed - have to add it to the list. My bunch mark is 25 Year old Bunnahabhain - twas like drinking butter.
Yeah we lucked out getting to try it. The whiskey bar we were at had it priced the same as the 21 year on accident. Purely out of curiosity, I asked our waiter why that was.... he had a moment of panic and said it's definitely not supposed to be but he would honor it if we wanted. My brother-in-law and I split a pour, and it was absolutely unreal. The next time I went in there it was listed for six times the price that we paid, hah.