Tyger wire

Hem

Life of the Party
Winter dragging on here in Montana. Starting to organize gear for my spring pike fishing trip. Yeah, I know, probably 7 weeks before ice comes off.
The one item I buy every winter is 15lb Tyger wire. So far I am striking out finding any online.
Anybody have about 10' worth they would be willing to sell?
Also curious to hear of any feedback on a similar coated product I might use as a substitute.
Thanks.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
I haven't tried this personally, but in one of Gunnar Brammer's videos, he discusses using Beadalon to build bite leaders (at about 5 min in vid) - easily found at any craft store
Not the same as knottable TW, but an option

Bob N

Steelhead
American Fishing Wire is another potential for you. I’ve used it for a few years, no problem tying a perfection loop in it. If I remember right they also produce Beadalon. Check out Hobby Lobby, Michaels etc.

Hem

Life of the Party
American Fishing Wire is another potential for you. I’ve used it for a few years, no problem tying a perfection loop in it. If I remember right they also produce Beadalon. Check out Hobby Lobby, Michaels etc.
Thanks Bob N.
I will check that out.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
yep, Beadalon works great for tiger muskies. When I use wire, it's the black coated .018

Triploidjunkie

Life of the Party
I just pick up a pack of premade wire leaders from Walmart. I prefer black. One pack easily last me all season. I usually carry a roll of wire, but hate using it, and usually never do. I haven't found any leader shy pike or musky yet.

Hem

Life of the Party
I just pick up a pack of premade wire leaders from Walmart. I prefer black. One pack easily last me all season. I usually carry a roll of wire, but hate using it, and usually never do. I haven't found any leader shy pike or musky yet.
I have had fishing when I felt the pike were a little reluctant with wire. Tyger wire is more limber which helps the action of the my go-to flies. I have seen some new clips made by Rio that look worthy of a try. Certainly would save time and wire swapping flies. Of course, these clips are out of stock at Feather-Craft too.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Might want to swing by the nearest Joanne's craft store, they usually have an excellent selection of coated and non coated wire used for making jewelery and what not.

Reactions: Hem

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
. I have seen some new clips made by Rio that look worthy of a try. Certainly would save time and wire swapping flies. Of course, these clips are out of stock at Feather-Craft too.
Is this what you're referring to?
1645504913440.png
If so, you might check your Sportsman's Warehouse store.
Even if they don't have the item in stock I've been doing some ship to store free with good results.

Hem

Life of the Party
Is this what you're referring to?
View attachment 6295
If so, you might check your Sportsman's Warehouse store.
Even if they don't have the item in stock I've been doing some ship to store free with good results.
Yes^^^
Don't know if they have been around for a bit, but I just saw them for the first time on-line. Ordered some yesterday to give a try.
Thanks 406.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I went back and forth on the clips (I have a different brand, but they're the same as above) and have now pretty much stopped using them. They're really nice because of super fast fly changes, but I find that every so often, they get a little crooked on the hook causing the fly to not swim properly so I'm paying more attention to that rather than focusing what I should be focusing on. I'd use them for smallies since you're catching a ton of fish. But, not for muskies (rather tigers in my case) where every one of those big ones requires all of my focus.

Hem

Life of the Party
I went back and forth on the clips (I have a different brand, but they're the same as above) and have now pretty much stopped using them. They're really nice because of super fast fly changes, but I find that every so often, they get a little crooked on the hook causing the fly to not swim properly so I'm paying more attention to that rather than focusing what I should be focusing on. I'd use them for smallies since you're catching a ton of fish. But, not for muskies (rather tigers in my case) where every one of those big ones requires all of my focus.
Good info Clarkman. I bought some just because...but a close up look had me anticipating just what you described.
Thanks for the heads up.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Good info Clarkman. I bought some just because...but a close up look had me anticipating just what you described.
Thanks for the heads up.
I was going to try some with balanced leeches. My fumble fingers have a hard time with nonslip loop knots so I don't change as often as I should when I should be searching for the hot fly of the day. If they don't pan out, I guess I've spent six bucks on a lot of dumber things in my life.🙂

Reactions: Hem

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
You might try downsizing, but I had a tough time getting the size 2 on while the 3 & 4 went on far easier, but had the issues above.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
You might try downsizing, but I had a tough time getting the size 2 on while the 3 & 4 went on far easier, but had the issues above.
So, size 2 is the smallest? I didn't find any size to hook size info on the webz.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Yeah. I dunno if they make them for smaller hooks as I was only interested in ones for muskies. Even the size 2 are relatively thick gauge.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yeah. I dunno if they make them for smaller hooks as I was only interested in ones for muskies.
I'll report back when I get some answers.;)