Tyger wire

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
What about the Rio bite wire?
Is that stuff any good?
I use it but cannot attest to its strength as I have yet to get an eat.
It knots well and a perfection loop is pretty easy
still reflective. suuuper supple and easy to knot though. I just know that Mike Sturza uses the Beadalon 49 (7x7) black coated predominantly. So does Ed Walzer (essentially the OG of PacNW tiger musky fly fishing), who go me turned onto the stuff in .018. Ultimately, for me, I've kind of adopted things from those two plus Brad Bohen and my own experience along the journey to get to what works for me.

Ultimately, I'm sure it's one of those things we waaaay over-think, kinda like flies. Fish what you have confidence in (with regards to both) and things are gonna happen.

Triploidjunkie

Life of the Party
@Hem - a bit of thread drift: This thread is so timely since I've recently acquired some very nice musky flies (thanks again, Randall!). I hadn't really even thought about connecting the fly to the line and leader. I guess I better think about it.

After I got the flies from Clarkman, I was looking in one of my far too many cubbyholes where I store stuff and found a bag of pike flies, this is one:
View attachment 6432

"Wrench"(1) (I think he was from Libby?) sent me this fly with a note about using a perfection loop to attach the wire to my leader. The wire appears to be coated stranded stainless steel.

(1) I don't remember Wrench's name (John??), he was on one other long since gone forum and often wrote about carp angling.
Those look like the premade ones I get from wally world.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
Fyi...for anybody curious about Tyger wire...the product is no longer being produced.
I have some coated wire some place in our storage. I bought it to make articulated(sp) flies. If I can find it, you can have it. I bought it when I lived in Washington. I don't attempt to tie any flies of any kind any more.

Hem

Life of the Party
I have some coated wire some place in our storage. I bought it to make articulated(sp) flies. If I can find it, you can have it. I bought it when I lived in Washington. I don't attempt to tie any flies of any kind any more.
Thanks Jim. I think I have it covered. Hope you are staying warm over the hill.
Should be our last blast of extreme cold.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I've worked construction every winter outside for 32 of 34 years. If I'm "Seegering out" so be it. Below zero isn't worth the suffering anymore. ;)
I did the same for 40+ years but at 72 I've gotten to be a softy.:)

Reactions: Hem

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Well, not quite to the softy stage , rather playing my cards a little more sensibly.
I started school at MSU in 1967 and was the first class in Roskie Hall which was hell and gone from most everything at that time.
Walking to and from classes at the opposite ends of the campus wasn't much fun on some of those subzero winter days.
One morning my AM clock radio weather report said it was -47 in West Yellowstone. I was on the second floor near the entry with part of the floor cantilevered over open space. When I got out of bed the grocery tile VCT floor wasn't -47 but darn close to it.
The cafeteria at South Hedges was as far as I went that day.

Hem

Life of the Party
I started school at MSU in 1967 and was the first class in Roskie Hall which was hell and gone from most everything at that time.
Walking to and from classes at the opposite ends of the campus wasn't much fun on some of those subzero winter days.
One morning my AM clock radio weather report said it was -47 in West Yellowstone. I was on the second floor near the entry with part of the floor cantilevered over open space. When I got out of bed the grocery tile VCT floor wasn't -47 but darn close to it.
Its true winters have changed. My early years you could count on it going to -20 for two weeks every winter, sometimes twice a winter. Last extreme was -34 a few years back. Never forget one February it dropped from 45 degrees to -20 ....in 20 minutes.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I was snooping around and see that Mustad also makes fly clips with or without a swivel.

Triploidjunkie

Life of the Party
My daughter is at south hedges. I feel sorry for her on the days she has to get all the way across campus, and it's -30.

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
My daughter is at south hedges. I feel sorry for her on the days she has to get all the way across campus, and it's -30.
With modern technology, I would hope that they can do some of those classes online when the temps get that low.
If not, I feel for her if she has to hoof it like I did.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
Thanks Jim. I think I have it covered. Hope you are staying warm over the hill.
Should be our last blast of extreme cold.
God I hope so. The cold really doesn't bother me. I just get tired of the snow. It's on the ground from October to March

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
I was snooping around and see that Mustad also makes fly clips with or without a swivel.
I bought some of those in the size 2, but I find them hard to put a fly on, and really hard to get one off of.
Just a very stiff wire. With those huge, wicked sharp hooks, I'm afraid I'll slip and shishkebab myself.
I'm gonna guess they wouldn't bend out, tho!

SculpinSwinger

Grey Ghost
Forum Supporter
@Hem - a bit of thread drift: This thread is so timely since I've recently acquired some very nice musky flies (thanks again, Randall!). I hadn't really even thought about connecting the fly to the line and leader. I guess I better think about it.

After I got the flies from Clarkman, I was looking in one of my far too many cubbyholes where I store stuff and found a bag of pike flies, this is one:
View attachment 6432

"Wrench"(1) (I think he was from Libby?) sent me this fly with a note about using a perfection loop to attach the wire to my leader. The wire appears to be coated stranded stainless steel.

(1) I don't remember Wrench's name (John??), he was on one other long since gone forum and often wrote about carp angling.
Beware of those clips for pike! Pike chomp down on the head of the fly. I had 3 open on me before I figured out it wasn’t the unhooking with pliers, but it was the pike that opened them. I doubled them up, facing opposite directions for the rest of my trip.
I’m looking for better for late June, may try the rio fly clips. For wire I was mostly happy with AFW surflon micro supreme 40# coated stainless. The coating does get stripped and then it coils… none of my perfection loops at the clip, nor the Albright to mono failed, so it knots well.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I bought some of those in the size 2, but I find them hard to put a fly on, and really hard to get one off of.
Just a very stiff wire. With those huge, wicked sharp hooks, I'm afraid I'll slip and shishkebab myself.
I'm gonna guess they wouldn't bend out, tho!
Just need to practice
There’s a bit of a trick to it