Tuna 2024

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
It's a little late in the conversation, but I just stopped by to congratulate the folks who have stopped using perfection loops.

Carry on!
👋

That's meeeee!!!!! Fuck those knots! 😬

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Albacore do not appear to be hook-shy. And they will strike from behind as the flies are trolled. And we have had what would appear to be "short-strikes", especially on the slide; here the fly is grabbed, you get a few head shakes or a short run, and then the fish comes unbuttoned. I would leave at least some long...
Steve

Short strikes can be a problem at times. I can remember this happening on multiple trips going back several years. Hard to envision how they can miss a hook at the speeds they swim at, but I'm convinced it happens. It really got my attention a few years ago when I was trolling muppet-sized squid patterns. Generally the big squids would get slammed on the troll, but I'd get these weird "non-stick" whacks/taps when retrieving on the slide. Down-sizing to smaller (4-6" vs 9-12") solved that, and are now my go-to patterns. So far I haven't had the need to switch from standard on-hook ties to tubes.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
I've watched so many videos of albacore eating troll lures from commercial boats and such that I am convinced they are never actually short striking in the sense that they are just pecking at the tail. Obviously the hook doesn't bury every time they eat something, but I very much believe that what seems like a short strike on our end just isn't in the normal sense. Especially with trolled stuff they tend to just swim up and inhale. I've seen this with my own eyes a lot as well. The hook not catching, IMO, is an entirely different problem from a variety of variables.

As much as we troll large swim baits with the hook 6-8" ahead of the tail, I would have to think I'd see many occasions of just the tail getting bit, or even ripped off, and I just never see that.

Not trying to argue with anyone of course, just what I believe.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I have been using flies tied on large waddington shanks with stingers almost exclusively the last couple of years I’ve tuna fished. I don’t feel my flies were sticking or holding more than others on board using standard hooks though. Very small sample obviously. Definitely a confidence thing for me.

I also have been using perfection loops though so what the hell do I know :). I will say, 6 or 7 tuna trips to date and have not yet broken off a tuna using perfections. Now that I wrote that, it will definitely happen this year. So, I guess that means no more perfections for me.

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Probably a good plan but FWIW I think some of the tuna fly flingers on here have been tying and using Spawn head flies for tuna with a pretty long stinger on them. Am I remembering that right?
@jasmillo and I have had good results with spawn heads and stinger hooks the last two seasons. Stinger hook ends at the tail, not necessarily “long”.

PXL_20220828_173905320_Original.jpeg

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Challenge accepted. 5 tuna trips this year, and I’m gonna use perfection loops on every rig.
5 trips? Respect. But, how big is your freezer?

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
It barely even seems like a knot. More like a novelty trick turned into a semi controlled twisty tangle. Plus it takes three appendages to tie, which includes my favorite one.

My big toe of course!!
It was the standard knot for a double line when I was trolling in Hawaii…both feet and both knees. I haven’t tied one in a decade though…I knew some guys that had a jig with nails in it to tie them too…

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
5 trips? Respect. But, how big is your freezer?
Ha! Not all trips are built the same or have the same prospect of success. Two out of Westport, one out of Astoria, one out of Garibaldi, and one diy with a friend of a friend.

Three deep freezers and a network of folks happy to barter for tuna and salmon.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Ha! Not all trips are built the same or have the same prospect of success. Two out of Westport, one out of Astoria, one out of Garibaldi, and one diy with a friend of a friend.

Three deep freezers and a network of folks happy to barter for tuna and salmon.
I got my boat out three times and went with a friend once last year. I'd happily double that number if I can pull it off.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I got my boat out three times and went with a friend once last year. I'd happily double that number if I can pull it off.
I’ll gladly be your Gilligan.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
This one was tied on a cheap sacrificial mustad hook then clipped off. You can use shank too, same thing.
Thanks! I'm still in the planning mode (what the heck am I getting into, here?) for the trip and what flies I might tie (or try to tie). I found a tube fly adapter in my stash of stuff I've forgotten I had but there are no mandrels with it, just four different diameter "rods" - learning curve ahead. ;-)

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Thanks! I'm still in the planning mode (what the heck am I getting into, here?) for the trip and what flies I might tie (or try to tie). I found a tube fly adapter in my stash of stuff I've forgotten I had but there are no mandrels with it, just four different diameter "rods" - learning curve ahead. ;-)
I have several lifetimes of tubing material if you need some. @Jerry Daschofsky did a batch order many moons ago that I was a part of in the old site. We did the transaction at the Sportsman's Show.
Steve

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Happy to help shorten that learning curve sometime. I love tube flies.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I have several lifetimes of tubing material if you need some. @Jerry Daschofsky did a batch order many moons ago that I was a part of in the old site. We did the transaction at the Sportsman's Show.
Steve
Thanks, Steve - I will do some explorin' around here. If my memory serves, the "tube flies" I shared above, were tied on hard plastic tubing (I seem to recall it was hydraulic tubing). AutoZone doesn't carry anything like that so...... a bit more checking.
Happy to help shorten that learning curve sometime. I love tube flies.
Very nice offer, Jake! Perhaps if time and circumstances permit.

Those "tube flies" of mine tied before we moved to Ephrata (therefore before March, 1986), most likely 1980/81, were tied on an old Thompson vise. I seem to remember I jerryrigged a clothes hanger with electricians tape to hold the tube from spinning. (The memory could be a fantasy or figment too.)