Tuna 2024

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Why not 40# - have you seen them get line shy? BTW, still mad at you for getting COVID last September. I was really looking forward to meeting you;).

No real reason other than I've never seen any need to go heavier than 25, and we always have plenty of 25 flouro onboard since that's what we use when fishing live bait. I'm not nice when fighting albacore and I don't recall 25 ever being a limiting factor.

When they're up and snappy then it doesn't matter if it's 25 or 60 really. When they're not, it likely doesn't make a big difference either way.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I'm getting closer to being "geared up" for Tuna 2024 and my trip with @Cabezon, @Bagman and @SilverFly, stoke is pretty high and it's still just March! Here's what I have so far:
IMG_3734.jpg

RichardE sold me this -----^, unused and now lawn cast. I should take the plastic wrap off the cork and get it dirty. Is it bad juju to carry a TFO in an Echo rod case? (It isn't.)

IMG_3733.jpg

pnwflyfishing has incredible resources to make it possible to plan; members willing to share gear and information and then there's @Nick Clayton and his articles on chasing tuna. Nick - I took your suggestion that the Echo Bravo is a workhorse. The line (13 - 15 wt?) loads this rod with not much line out the tip; when I get 30 feet out, I think the line (or maybe it's me) is a bit much for the rod.

Any thoughts on a second line?

Flies are next - I bought a couple packages of Ahrex Bluewater hooks (2/0). Anyone using tube flies?

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
The line (13 - 15 wt?) loads this rod with not much line out the tip; when I get 30 feet out, I think the line (or maybe it's me) is a bit much for the rod.

Which line did you go with?

Honestly, your rod being over lined is probably more advantageous than you might think. The boats we run in Westport are definitely not ideal for traditional fly casting. Being able to load your rod with little line out is a big help. This isn't a fishery where long, accurate casts are needed often. Being able to make quick casts of less distance with minimal false casting is much more useful on average.

I'm definitely a big fan of the Bravo reel. I have a bunch of them, several still in boxes as backups just because my originals just keep on going in spite of beating the hell out of them

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
Which line did you go with?

Honestly, your rod being over lined is probably more advantageous than you might think. The boats we run in Westport are definitely not ideal for traditional fly casting. Being able to load your rod with little line out is a big help. This isn't a fishery where long, accurate casts are needed often. Being able to make quick casts of less distance with minimal false casting is much more useful on average.

I'm definitely a big fan of the Bravo reel. I have a bunch of them, several still in boxes as backups just because my originals just keep on going in spite of beating the hell out of them
Cortland Billfish 50Plus series, 600GR.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'm getting closer to being "geared up" for Tuna 2024 and my trip with @Cabezon, @Bagman and @SilverFly, stoke is pretty high and it's still just March! Here's what I have so far:
View attachment 108891

RichardE sold me this -----^, unused and now lawn cast. I should take the plastic wrap off the cork and get it dirty. Is it bad juju to carry a TFO in an Echo rod case? (It isn't.)

View attachment 108892

pnwflyfishing has incredible resources to make it possible to plan; members willing to share gear and information and then there's @Nick Clayton and his articles on chasing tuna. Nick - I took your suggestion that the Echo Bravo is a workhorse. The line (13 - 15 wt?) loads this rod with not much line out the tip; when I get 30 feet out, I think the line (or maybe it's me) is a bit much for the rod.

Flies are next - I bought a couple packages of Ahrex Bluewater hooks (2/0). Anyone using tube flies?
If you’re bringing a second rod, I strongly recommend a floating rig.

Bagman

Steelhead
View attachment 108891

View attachment 108892

Cabezon fishes nothing but tube flys. I’ve tied a few but have not fish any yet.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Cabezon fishes nothing but tube flys. I’ve tied a few but have not fish any yet.
I’ve gone to them exclusively. Easy to go from deep sinking to surface action and they don’t get mangled.

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
I am on the waitlist for the 9/11 outing; meanwhile, if anyone is aware of other open seats for a fly-oriented trip, I'd love to grab that spot.

Thanks.

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
I am on the waitlist for the 9/11 outing; meanwhile, if anyone is aware of other open seats for a fly-oriented trip, I'd love to grab that spot.

Thanks.
Hi Phil,
I have an available seat for Tuesday, September 3rd (day after Labor Day).
Steve

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
Have you picked up your backing line? Do you know how to tie a double bimini knot
I think you may be directing this to the Rookie, the Novice? I bought a line with the reel from Mad River, they included 30 backing and installed it on the reel with a Bimini loop. Now, after @Jake Watrous comment about "back up rod/reel" with a floating line. I don't have plans to purchase another rod but may consider a spool with floating line....

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Honestly, unless you are just hell bent on catching one on a popper and are willing to commit serious time fishing it, or just absolutely want to have one available in case they are really up and aggressive, I wouldn't spend the money on a floater. I've seen too many floaters packed onto the boat that at best get used for a few casts, because people have a hard time either spending serious time fishing it or are not willing to restring a rod in the middle of chaos.

I love catching albacore on top, it's probably my absolute favorite thing to do with a fly rod, but you really need to dedicate yourself to doing it most times. Especially considering that this is going to be your first trip out there, I'd recommend being ultra honest with yourself and asking "Am I willing to put in time with a floater even if the guys with a sinking line are catching lots of fish? " and "Am I really likely to stop fishing during a good bite and put a new line/spool on my rod to try to catch one on top?" Keep in mind that we are on a time limit out there. Not saying it's not worth the effort, because I truly believe it is, but IME it's a tough thing for most people to dedicate any real time to especially when they're likely to only be out there one day over the season.

On top of that, I always have a rod rigged and ready with a floater that people are welcome to use.

Just my two cents of course, and I'm not trying to talk you out of the idea if you are truly into it, but I've just seen very few people willing to make that switch when the fishing is good. And IMO the best way to catch them on top is to dedicate yourself to that end. Trying to switch back and forth between lines throughout the day often doesn't work out too well. If a floater would be something you'd use for other fisheries, then that's a different story of course. Just hate to see money spent that really doesn't need to be.

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
Honestly, unless you are just hell bent on catching one on a popper and are willing to commit serious time fishing it, or just absolutely want to have one available in case they are really up and aggressive, I wouldn't spend the money on a floater. I've seen too many floaters packed onto the boat that at best get used for a few casts, because people have a hard time either spending serious time fishing it or are not willing to restring a rod in the middle of chaos.

I love catching albacore on top, it's probably my absolute favorite thing to do with a fly rod, but you really need to dedicate yourself to doing it most times. Especially considering that this is going to be your first trip out there, I'd recommend being ultra honest with yourself and asking "Am I willing to put in time with a floater even if the guys with a sinking line are catching lots of fish? " and "Am I really likely to stop fishing during a good bite and put a new line/spool on my rod to try to catch one on top?" Keep in mind that we are on a time limit out there. Not saying it's not worth the effort, because I truly believe it is, but IME it's a tough thing for most people to dedicate any real time to especially when they're likely to only be out there one day over the season.

On top of that, I always have a rod rigged and ready with a floater that people are welcome to use.

Just my two cents of course, and I'm not trying to talk you out of the idea if you are truly into it, but I've just seen very few people willing to make that switch when the fishing is good. And IMO the best way to catch them on top is to dedicate yourself to that end. Trying to switch back and forth between lines throughout the day often doesn't work out too well. If a floater would be something you'd use for other fisheries, then that's a different story of course. Just hate to see money spent that really doesn't need to be.
Thanks, Nick - I appreciate the sage advice!//Pat

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Thanks, Nick - I appreciate the sage advice!//Pat
I'll have a floater rod rigged. But like Nick said, I've only fished it for maybe 15 minutes total. Time out there is so fleeting, it's hard to switch from what is working best. Also didn't help that my poppers weren't swimming right. Next batch I need to focus more on function and less on looking purty.

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
I'll have a floater rod rigged. But like Nick said, I've only fished it for maybe 15 minutes total. Time out there is so fleeting, it's hard to switch from what is working best. Also didn't help that my poppers weren't swimming right. Next batch I need to focus more on function and less on looking purty.
Thanks! I'm going to take Nick's advice and fish a sinking line. In the meantime I'm going to modify a few tube flies I tied when living in Port Orchard ((>38 years ago now) that I used for silvers in Gig Harbor:
Tube flies.jpg

I have no idea if these colors have any value in fooling tuna but one thing that stands out is the tube is too long, the hook will trail out behing the fly. I plan to cut off part of the tubing so the hook is within the body of the fly.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Thanks! I'm going to take Nick's advice and fish a sinking line. In the meantime I'm going to modify a few tube flies I tied when living in Port Orchard ((>38 years ago now) that I used for silvers in Gig Harbor:
View attachment 109380

I have no idea if these colors have any value in fooling tuna but one thing that stands out is the tube is too long, the hook will trail out behing the fly. I plan to cut off part of the tubing so the hook is within the body of the fly.
Probably a good plan but FWIW I think some of the tuna fly flingers on here have been tying and using Spawn head flies for tuna with a pretty long stinger on them. Am I remembering that right?

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Albacore do not appear to be hook-shy. And they will strike from behind as the flies are trolled. And we have had what would appear to be "short-strikes", especially on the slide; here the fly is grabbed, you get a few head shakes or a short run, and then the fish comes unbuttoned. I would leave at least some long...
Steve

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
No disadvantage that I've seen running stingers or tubes, so definitely doesn't hurt at all, but for what it's worth I run nothing but standard hooks.

I truly don't believe it matters, but like anything I believe running what you have confidence in is most important.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
My jigs that convert the most hookups to landed fish run assist hooks that hang off the nose.

The ones that have hooks that attach to the rear seem to lose a lot more.

Like so:

1712430441656.png