Tuna 2024

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
All I know is, I will never have a day of fishing like that first Albacore trip with Captain @Nick Clayton, @SilverFly, @Cabezon and Mark in August 2020!

Was absolutely bat shit crazy how fun that day was, 36 fish in the boat by noon!

That weekend has a permanent place in my memory bank. Not sure I'll ever have a more amazing weekend on the water.

I'll never, ever forget stopping on our way out for a pee break that first day and doing a double take when I heard Mark say "more albacore than Ive ever seen in my life" on the radio.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Okay - I need to backup and ask for clarification about attaching line to backing and leader to line. I assumed (right or wrong?) that the bimini twist, nail knot and/or spider hitch was for backing to line but if I read @Matt B' post, he's using a bimini twist loop to conntect the leader to line. Yes: I am a rookie at anything tuna (or big game fish related). Thanks in advance.

Ps. @albula - thanks for suggesting the spider hitch; super simple.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
That weekend has a permanent place in my memory bank. Not sure I'll ever have a more amazing weekend on the water.

I'll never, ever forget stopping on our way out for a pee break that first day and doing a double take when I heard Mark say "more albacore than Ive ever seen in my life" on the radio.

Would love to have heard some of the fleet scuttle butt once the word got out a short crew of bug flickers plugged the boat. Seems like that day was the turning point for fly rods on the tuna grounds.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Okay - I need to backup and ask for clarification about attaching line to backing and leader to line. I assumed (right or wrong?) that the bimini twist, nail knot and/or spider hitch was for backing to line but if I read @Matt B' post, he's using a bimini twist loop to conntect the leader to line. Yes: I am a rookie at anything tuna (or big game fish related). Thanks in advance.

Ps. @albula - thanks for suggesting the spider hitch; super simple.

I have used the Bimini for line/backing connection, and that's what I was referring to in my earlier post.

For line to leader, I use factory loop if the line has one, and if not I just nail knot an 18" section of like 40 lb mono with a loop on the end of that.

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
I have used the Bimini for line/backing connection, and that's what I was referring to in my earlier post.

For line to leader, I use factory loop if the line has one, and if not I just nail knot an 18" section of like 40 lb mono with a loop on the end of that.
I got my Echo Bravo (10/12) today with the backing strung (30# dacron) and line on the reel. I don't know what knot the seller used on the backing, it looks to me like the backing loop is a spider hitch. The line is a Cortland Billfish 50 Plus and does have a loop. Now I just have to figure out the "leader".

Thanks, Captain Nick.

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
And the loop to use for that fluoro? I use a Bimini. But you don’t have to. I wouldn’t use a perfection loop.

I don’t use perfection loops anymore. Bimini twist …..huh! I saw it tied once.

I wouldn't either....any more... 😬

non-slip loops on both ends for me now.

I use a non slip loop knot for most of my trout flies. I wonder how many non slip loop knots variations there are? 🤓

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I wonder how many non slip loop knots variations there are? 🤓

I had no idea there were multiples....I do know that whatever version I tie is one I can tie in my sleep and it holds better than any other loop knot I've ever tied.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Full moons. No moons. Wind from the east. Big fish early, small fish late. Super aggressive fish. Super finicky fish. Fish that just seem like they are attacking the boat.

I love these threads, but no post as much as this one, read in the voice of Dr. Seuss.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Also, if anyone wants to chase tuna on 9/11 with @Nick Clayton , we may have an open seat on that trip.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I’ve never fished for tuna and you wouldn’t want me on the boat because I always get seasick. Been using the perfection loop for steelhead and have never had a knot fail, but I’m going to switch to the non-slip loop.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
You guys are killing me. It’s only march and I’m already on a tuna stoke. 😀

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Why not 40# - have you seen them get line shy? BTW, still mad at you for getting COVID last September. I was really looking forward to meeting you;).
No need. Normally I use 25# FC, but carry 20# and have used it. Whether leader size was the issue or not those times, I can't really say.