This Ain't Good...As A Matter Of Fact, Damn Sad!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snopro

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Lying is evil and telling a lie makes one a liar.
What % of people have told a lie?

Stealing is evil and doing so makes one a thief. What % of people have stolen?

Looking at a woman who is not your wife lustfully makes one an adulterer that's evil and what % of us has done that?

Being so angry with someone that you want to hurt them is being a murderer. What % of us have done that?
According to who?

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Last edited:

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Close enough.

Really, so are all your other "facts" just close enough, or are they actually facts? (Hint: Facts are not a game of horseshoes).

Note: Socrates is generally considered the "Father" of western thought, some 350 years before the individual referred to in a previous post, who was not really a philosopher, but a spiritual/religious leader.

Cheers

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Really, so are all your other "facts" just close enough, or are they actually facts? (Hint: Facts are not a game of horseshoes).

Note: Socrates is generally considered the "Father" of western thought, some 350 years before the individual referred to in a previous post, who was not really a philosopher, but a spiritual/religious leader.

Cheers
You're correct I chose the term philosopher because I was trying to keep religion out of it. Semantics of course but helpful I think. Just to be clear every person even atheists are religious. Everything we believe we believe by faith. Even if it's faith in our own observations and the observations of others. The bad thing about that? Human observations are generally very flawed and in need of constant change. Why? Because we tend to make wrong conclusions based on our observations.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Having the ability to defend oneself physically against a bully or aggressor is one thing, but having the self restraint and mind power to choose not to does not make one a sheep. There's more than one way to stand up for yourself, it doesn't need to require kicking a bully's ass.

Society has changed, whether we like it or not. Using fists to solve problems and vent anger and frustration just isn't the way things are done anymore. Instead I think those same kids would be far better served by teaching them how to communicate, express their feelings openly without being labeled as a sheep, and provide them with access to mental health services. We've tried the "Don't take any shit and punch that bully in the mouth" program for a long time and it hasn't gotten us too far. Maybe it's time we change things up and focus on different methods.
Have ya ever wondered how many mental health professionals and drug counselors are “flawed” themselves?

It would surprise many, the magnitude of that very question.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
That's pretty easy to say when you are someone physically capable of doing so.

Bullies don't make it a habit to pick on the big and the strong. They target those smaller and weaker. That's kinda the way bullying works. Pick out the weakest of the bunch, the one most likely to cause you no harm, and focus your energy on them. Telling the 110 lb freshman that they are a sheep if they don't stand up to the 240 lb senior who is bullying them and to simply eradicate their influence is pretty ridiculous. Not sure why this is a difficult concept to understand.

And to say we have tried focusing on the mental health side of things for the last 40 years is just absurd.
As someone who grew up the “pole bean” all through school…
It wasn’t until I had had enough and dotted the eye of the bully, did they learn their way of treating others was wrong.
Some of those who got the message became friends and upstanding individuals.
At the very least, they no longer picked on me…and thought well before doing so to others.

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
I strongly disagree, based on my own experience and things I've read.

There's an interesting book called A Paradise Built in Hell that's a study of what happened during disasters when people were left to fend for themselves. Almost universally, it did not turn into Lord of the Flies. People organized to provide for each other and make sure they all survived together.
Walmarts would disagree…

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Everything we believe we believe by faith.
Not so Rob. There you go making an absolute statement again. I believe some things by faith, but I believe many more things that are demonstrably true.
I believe the knife is sharp because I cut my hand on it.
I believe in gravity because there are a host of experiments that demonstrate gravitational pull.
I believe the shortest distance between two points is a straight line because any other line I devise is demonstrably longer.
I believe opposite angles are equal because I measured many samples, and it was always demonstrably true.

These and thousands of other facts don't require faith to believe that they are true. These facts are true because empirical evidence proves them to be true. A critical mind capable of analytical thinking is required to understand and believe that facts are true. Faith is what you believe in the absence of empirically demonstrated truth. Religion falls into this latter category.

You should look up and watch you tube videos by Niel deGrasse Tyson on science and religion. He is brilliant and explains this so much better than I can.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Not so Rob. There you go making an absolute statement again. I believe some things by faith, but I believe many more things that are demonstrably true.
I believe in gravity because there are a host of experiments that demonstrate gravitational pull.
I believe the shortest distance between two points is a straight line because any other line I devise is demonstrably longer.
I believe opposite angles are equal because I measured many samples, and it was always demonstrably true.

These and thousands of other facts don't require faith to believe that they are true. These facts are true because empirical evidence proves them to be true. A critical mind capable of analytical thinking is required to understand and believe that facts are true. Faith is what you believe in the absence of empirically demonstrated truth. Religion falls into this latter category.

You should look up and watch you tube videos by Niel deGrasse Tyson on science and religion. He is brilliant and explains this so much better than I can.
I believe in belief.

And yeah, Neil DeGrasse Tyson is almost always an interesting listen.

Flymph

Steelhead
Let's see, can anyone think of a generation that didn't overpopulate this planet? The same white slave holder mentality that created the US constitution looms larger than ever in our country. Agnotology can be prevalent in any generation but maybe some are more gullible than others??

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration"
"That we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively"
"There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves"
"Here's Tom with the weather"

Rob Allen

Life of the Party

Neil Degrasse Tyson is not expert enough ti talk about religion, in fact he is completely ignorant on the issue and therefore has no authority to offer an opinion on it.

Science is very faith based. That's all a scientific theory is. I see X so I believe Y.
Repeated results builds faith.

I believe you that the knife is sharp based on my faith in your honesty.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Status
Not open for further replies.