The Obligatory Pedal Kayak thread

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
My plan in that situation is to use my knife to cut holes in the legs of my waders. I've never been willing to test it though.
Don't blame you. Am still looking through archives for the incident report. If I find it, will share it here.. Rudy wasnt happy about the way he ended up on the beach, but he was gracious enough to share his experience.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
I'm really liking my current setup for staying dry:
I have the Kokatat Hydrus Tempest dry pants with the integrated goretex socks. (pricey, but I wear them more than my waders these days) Worn with sandals or wading boots, they'll keep you dry in rain, or standing in water for a short period - long enough to launch, etc- but will leak if you try to wear them for extended wading. The wide neoprene waistband is comfy and snug enough that if you went overboard, air would likely get squeezed out but water would not gush in.
However... even with thick socks underneath, having wet boots over them hanging out in the breeze on a cold day left my feet frozen. I now wear knee high Muck Boots (Forager model, sized up one size) over them.
Screenshot_20221112-090257_Chrome.jpgHigh enough to launch & trailer without getting wet, very comfortable and flexible, feet stay warm (fished all day Wed in sub 40°) AND the smooth, no shoestring or straps surface keeps line from catching on my feet. Bonus, they shed water instantly, so I don't flood my car mat getting in & out while trailoring! They fit snugly, but because they're so flexible, they slide on/off easily, so if I needed to jettison them, they could be kicked off.
20221109_104647_06.jpg
If you fashion guys think they look dorky, I'd suggest you accessorize them with one of these :)
20221102_154608.jpg

headduck

Steelhead
I'm think I've landed on:

Waders. Cause I got em.

nrs splash jacket - doesnt have bomb proof gasket but should be pretty good if all buttoned up.

kototat Portage to protect my booties. Fairly affordable, with laces and laces cover. More nimble for peddling than boots. I hope.

Waiting/hoping for black friday sales.

Scored a new NRS chinook vest for $65 on CL to top it all off.

Any of you folks have experince with above jacket or shoes?