Straightened or broken hooks

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Yesterday afternoon/evening a friend of mine was fishing a Basin lake; he was getting lots of takedowns without getting hookups. After a number of these no-hookup bobber downs he checked his hook; it had straightened out.

Several years ago I was fishing the giant cataract lake and missed three really good fish, solid slams and I thought what the heck? Checked my hook, my waterboatman fly wasn't a "hook" anymore, it had straightened out.

Many years ago, after work, I hiked into that FF only lake near Othello. Back in those days the reeds, tules and phragmites weren't completely ringing the lake and you could fish from the west shore. I kept getting grabs on my TDC without hooking up. The old Mustad hook broke at the bend.

Check your hooks! (Someone on the forum has that as their signature).

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
I miss more fish than I catch…..but when the bobber goes down……still makes me smile! Gonna release them anyway, but unless it’s on for the 8 seconds rodeo…..doesn’t count towards Crown Royal!

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Yesterday afternoon/evening a friend of mine was fishing a Basin lake; he was getting lots of takedowns without getting hookups. After a number of these no-hookup bobber downs he checked his hook; it had straightened out.

Several years ago I was fishing the giant cataract lake and missed three really good fish, solid slams and I thought what the heck? Checked my hook, my waterboatman fly wasn't a "hook" anymore, it had straightened out.

Many years ago, after work, I hiked into that FF only lake near Othello. Back in those days the reeds, tules and phragmites weren't completely ringing the lake and you could fish from the west shore. I kept getting grabs on my TDC without hooking up. The old Mustad hook broke at the bend.

Check your hooks! (Someone on the forum has that as their signature).

I have never experienced that... not even one time on quake lake where I didn't rise like 20 fish to a parachute adams and didn't miss every single one of them due to a busted hook.... nope never happened to me... not even once.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I never use “dry fly” (fine) hooks, for this reason. Mustad is also pretty notorious for durability problems.

I only use Daiichi and Fulling Mill hooks. Haven’t had one bend or break, in years. The Fulling Mill jig hooks that I use for “euro nymphs” take an absolute beating. When you’re scraping the bottom, ripping flies out of logs and foul hooking fish all day, it’s worth spending a bit extra on hooks.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I never use “dry fly” (fine) hooks, for this reason. Mustad is also pretty notorious for durability problems.

I only use Daiichi and Fulling Mill hooks. Haven’t had one bend or break, in years. The Fulling Mill jig hooks that I use for “euro nymphs” take an absolute beating. When you’re scraping the bottom, ripping flies out of logs and foul hooking fish all day, it’s worth spending a bit extra on hooks.
Dang man! Maybe you should fish where the fish bite.

Triggw

Steelhead
I threw out a box of TMC 200Rs when I found how easily they straighten. Now use a 1X heavy for all my chiro hooks.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Dang man! Maybe you should fish where the fish bite.

It was a joke; a play on the euro nympher stereotype. 🤓

The part about scraping the bottom and getting caught in logs is real, though. You need good hooks for that.

kmudgn

Steelhead
When I was up in Labrador, I had several of the large Brook trout straighten out a # 12 dry. I retied the flies with 10s and 8s and had no further issues.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I threw out a box of TMC 200Rs when I found how easily they straighten. Now use a 1X heavy for all my chiro hooks.
I use them for searuns in the Skagit just for that reason. Fishing around a lot of wood I invariably hook some. Have never had one straighten out on a fish.