Stillwater indicator watchers: What's your approach?

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
There are lotsa books out there and apparently it is debatable! We need footage a la Tom’s suggestion.
What books? I’ve read them, just about every one. Swivels are eaten, I know it everyone else knows it, why the drama? People still debate the right of women to vote as well.

Last edited:

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yes and at the 48 second mark what does he say....:unsure:
He says that the indicator does what it is intended to do, it indicates when something changes the position of the fly. This video has nothing to do with the swivel issue. Have you used a swivel? I have and It has 100% been eaten.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
There are lotsa books out there and apparently it is debatable! We need footage a la Tom’s suggestion.
I had to prove it to myself. As kids, we would watch the trout take split shot in the creek, the solution became to crimp a split shot to a hook. We called it a rolly polly fly. Last spring I felt I was just missing too many, and had a feeling. Clipped off the fly, threw it out there, and the action started. Done it several different times, just to check. For me, I prefer not to fish a swivel. With about 1 in 15-20 fish being big, I just prefer not to miss the 1, 2 or 3 chances I may get an outing.

Brian in OR.

Steelhead
He says that the indicator does what it is intended to do, it indicates when something changes the position of the fly. This video has nothing to do with the swivel issue. Have you used a swivel? I have and It has 100% been eaten.
I dont disagree that a fish will take a swivel. But i also believe that as the video shows, a trout can take the fly and split it out so fast that by the time you set the hook and miss the set, you think damn, he took the swivel....

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
What books? I’ve read them, just about every one. Swivels are eaten, I know it everyone else knows it, why the drama? People still debate the right of women to vote as well.
“in your book,” “in my book,” his book her book, fuzzy fur book. Lotsa books, lotsa opinions.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
If there are fish showing on the sounder keep playing around with step 3 and you can usually find something that works, even with a swivel attached to your line.
^^Here’s another passive aggressive swivel comment.
Hahaha
Why is this such a thing? So weird to me. It’s funny because it turns out you can catch those same fish using step three, with no swivel!

This thread was originally mostly about, how do make sure your flies are at depth? Top answer: tungsten beads.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I dont disagree that a fish will take a swivel. But i also believe that as the video shows, a trout can take the fly and split it out so fast that by the time you set the hook and miss the set, you think damn, he took the swivel....
I agree this can happen, but if the flies have hooks, and in the video they don’t, I don’t think they would be able to eat and spit so much. Some of those would stick, if not most of them.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
It was meant to be lighthearted humour sorry you took it the wrong way. The title of the thread was "What is your approach to indicator fishing"? That is the question I was answering. The majority on this site seem to favour no swivels, the majority here in BC fish with swivels. As with all methods of fishing there is no perfect method just methods each of us prefer to use. There is no right or wrong answer IMO.
One of the best chironomid anglers I have ever seen (and fished with), a Merritt resident, uses swivels. He turned three of us onto them. I don’t use them anymore- my preference.

I don’t get my boxers in a bunch one way or the other.

Heiwa

Can’t wait for our May trip to Mile High

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
It was meant to be lighthearted humour sorry you took it the wrong way. The title of the thread was "What is your approach to indicator fishing"? That is the question I was answering. The majority on this site seem to favour no swivels, the majority here in BC fish with swivels. As with all methods of fishing there is no perfect method just methods each of us prefer to use. There is no right or wrong answer IMO.
I understand the humorous intent; that’s why I laughed! And—That’s almost the thread subject title—very close! If you read beyond the title, and read my first post of the thread, you’ll read that I was inquiring about approaches to, and confidence in sinking flies to depth without a swivel, but it has sort of turned into a “swivel debate.” So it goes. I agree that this isn’t a right or wrong issue, but if the question is about stillwater indi fishing without a swivel, it is off topic to answer about how one uses a swivel to good effect, and even more so to go on, as some ITT have, and insist that swivels don’t negatively affect their fishing. Those answers are not answering the question that I asked, but that’s fine, too, I suppose—they cost me the same as the on-topic answers!

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
I understand the humorous intent; that’s why I laughed! And—That’s almost the thread subject title—very close! If you read beyond the title, and read my first post of the thread, you’ll read that I was inquiring about approaches to, and confidence in sinking flies to depth without a swivel, but it has sort of turned into a “swivel debate.” So it goes. I agree that this isn’t a right or wrong issue, but if the question is about stillwater indi fishing without a swivel, it is off topic to answer about how one uses a swivel to good effect, and even more so to go on, as some ITT have, and insist that swivels don’t negatively affect their fishing. Those answers are not answering the question that I asked, but that’s fine, too, I suppose—they cost me the same as the on-topic answers!
Matt, I actually had experience with this yesterday. I don't have confidence a fly without being weighted somehow, or having a swivel for weight, is working at depth the way I want. The fish were not really hitting on the fall, so leeches with beads got more love as they got down quicker. Since I can't always fish downwind, as I'm on shore, I think the wind drifting indicator brought an un-weighted leech up out of the zone. I also tested with a chiro with bead, and without, with the same result (but not as good as the leeches in general). In calm periods I would retrieve more, and I think a steady or faster retrieve would bring the unweighted fly up. Sorry if I got off track.

Last edited:

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Concerning tactics. I don't have a depth/fish finder so I just randomly pick a spot, but here's an observation from the last couple outings. On once arriving to a spot, if I was to get some action it would be on the first few casts. After that it would be a long fruitless slog. So I'd pull anchor and go maybe 100ft. and again initial action then none. I fish right near the bottom.

Is it worth it to stay in one spot and try adjusting the bobber elevation? Or changing flies? I'm really not sure what tactic to employ first when things slow down. What do you all do?

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
Concerning tactics. I don't have a depth/fish finder so I just randomly pick a spot, but here's an observation from the last couple outings. On once arriving to a spot, if I was to get some action it would be on the first few casts. After that it would be a long fruitless slog. So I'd pull anchor and go maybe 100ft. and again initial action then none. I fish right near the bottom.

Is it worth it to stay in one spot and try adjusting the bobber elevation? Or changing flies? I'm really not sure what tactic to employ first when things slow down. What do you all do?
Sometimes it’s like that all day. Unless there’s a hatch or structure to keep ‘em in the neighborhood…. 10 minutes without signs of life and it’s time to move is my general rule.

If there are active fish within casting range but they aren’t eating what you’re offering, it’s worth sticking around to troubleshoot your presentation.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter

Sounds a bit familiar, and since I'm not that experienced I'll be curiously following. The way it usually works for me is the first couple spots I'll try different flies, and different depths. Sometimes holdovers are deep, 20', and planters shallower at 5'. Once I'm confident that any fish wanting to eat has seen what I got, I move. Once I get some feedback from the fish a pattern usually develops. Then I just move when the action stops, and keep using what works at the next spot. I figure any fish that would eat what I got has seem it and move on instead of repeatedly presenting the same stuff to the same fish.
One exception would be earlier in the year when the schools of plants are moving a lot, circling the lake, or part of it. I might stay in an area I know they tend to pass. Fish cruise looking for food and they may have swam away for a bit. I may move to a place they just left, and I'll come up empty. Sometimes it's a matter of waiting until you find each other.

Last edited:

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
Of course I can't prove the following but I think that right after ice out for a week or three fish move around a lot as the water warms a bit and bugs start being more available.

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter

I hate fishing barren water. I know it's barren because my Stryker 4 depth sounder tells me so.
It is a tool that has helped me be much more successful in stillwater.
I move around until I spot fish on my sounder. I then know the depth to fish and that I'm showing my gear to the fish.
It's easier to know if my fly is the right one if I know I'm putting it in front of fish.
Without the depthfinder I don't know if there are no fish where I'm fishing or fish are present and rejecting my offerings.
I fish with more confidence using a depthsounder.
This image shows a good sized trout at 12 or 13 feet and another at 22 feet that are under my pontoon boat with others within the cone of my transducer.

20221115_121440.jpg
This one has glare on the screen but shows 3 decent trout that I just paddled over the the top of and others in the periphery of my cone angle.
20220423_123421.jpg

For me I can't imagine fishing without it.
I can stumble into a few once in a while without one but am much more consistent with one and waste less time hoping to get lucky.

Divad

Whitefish
I brought a bobber rod to hang a blob and midge Friday but I can’t stare at it, I feel like I am wasting the views.

Now if I get a fish finder like that one @Wanative , the bobber interest might change. Sounds fun to play them while they pass by.