Stillwater indicator watchers: What's your approach?

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Thread Bump
As much of my stillwater indicator fishing is done from shore, I look at it just like a river, in that I plan my approach and fish close first. Boat folks cast to the shore, right. Everybody walks up and casts to the middle. Cast from a distance back and clear the spot where your presence will be noticed most. Then fan cast around going out to clear the area where your pickups for longer casts will be. First " cast" right in front, a few feet of line out.
20220325_A.jpg
Next placement in front. The Battenkill screamed when the fish got to the line on the reel heading for deeper water.
20220325_B.jpg

Last edited:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
A7EA6C77-4BEF-4FC1-A69A-3E418A43D8A6.jpeg
I finally found time to get out and into some decent stillwater indicator action this week. I didn’t fish my flies deeper than 15 feet or so, mainly because that’s what I had on and I was finding fish within that. I fished over depths from 4-5 feet out to 20-30+, and found fish at pretty much all depths with that 15 feet of leader-depth and was glad I could adjust that way. I was using jigged mini leeches, first white then black, to get the flies down quick, and a small (16?)sno cone below that and only got one fish on the black leech, all other indi fish were on the chironomid. The fishing would be good for a couple few bites at one spot/depth for a bit and then I’d have to change something to find a bit again. At one point I saw two swirls right by the boat so I quickly and quite easily slid my indicator and drilled out peg over my mid leader surgeons knot so I could suspend the flies only a couple feet below surface. Tossed it out, boom right away, heavy bright holdover which got off. That was it for that bite but I think I would’ve missed it had I had a system going where I couldn’t quickly put the bugs shallow. Who knows though. I am but one man. One man who finds it challenging to use his two rod endorsement on the trout waters without things going sideways.
BD09A96B-5E18-4F90-97FA-CCAA1718B106.jpeg

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
View attachment 9857
I finally found time to get out and into some decent stillwater indicator action this week. I didn’t fish my flies deeper than 15 feet or so, mainly because that’s what I had on and I was finding fish within that. I fished over depths from 4-5 feet out to 20-30+, and found fish at pretty much all depths with that 15 feet of leader-depth and was glad I could adjust that way. I was using jigged mini leeches, first white then black, to get the flies down quick, and a small (16?)sno cone below that and only got one fish on the black leech, all other indi fish were on the chironomid. The fishing would be good for a couple few bites at one spot/depth for a bit and then I’d have to change something to find a bit again. At one point I saw two swirls right by the boat so I quickly and quite easily slid my indicator and drilled out peg over my mid leader surgeons knot so I could suspend the flies only a couple feet below surface. Tossed it out, boom right away, heavy bright holdover which got off. That was it for that bite but I think I would’ve missed it had I had a system going where I couldn’t quickly put the bugs shallow. Who knows though. I am but one man. One man who finds it challenging to use his two rod endorsement on the trout waters without things going sideways.
View attachment 9858
That is a fine description of a day of fishing, sounds familiar and fun. I too find that after a bit all the fish that will hit what you have on have and it's time to change, but I usually just move to new water. I had the two rod endorsement last year for the first time and, well, I don't think I'll do it again.:)

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
That is a fine description of a day of fishing, sounds familiar and fun. I too find that after a bit all the fish that will hit what you have on have and it's time to change, but I usually just move to new water.
Yeah I would change depths, cast in a circle, cast and retrieve a different setup, if nothing, time to move. Or eat a sammich.

67E08B43-5F7E-4820-9FD9-9409367860F9.jpeg

I had the two rod endorsement last year for the first time and, well, I don't think I'll do it again.:)
I admire those who have it down! I guess I like to test things out. Including my own patience?

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
It’s like Golf. It’s you against the fish. Whatever it takes to put the Jiggle in the Wiggle.
Except golf is actually hard. Fishing is…not that hard exactly. If I think about it too much like that it puts my intellect in a bad light. Then I take a sip of beer.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Last xmas, out of the blue, Paul sent me a few more of his superb balanced leech patterns...cannot wait to hang them under an indicator at Crane Prairie next month...lake is ice free, 70 here yesterday south of Bend....opener is going to be hella fun

Crawbugger

Steelhead
Last xmas, out of the blue, Paul sent me a few more of his superb balanced leech patterns...cannot wait to hang them under an indicator at Crane Prairie next month...lake is ice free, 70 here yesterday south of Bend....opener is going to be hella fun
See you there.

mtskibum16

Life of the Party
Haven't read through this whole thread, but what about a small tungsten bead threaded on to the line before tying on an unweighted fly? Add some weight without having non-hooked hardware hanging between flies. Or clip a hook to your swivel. :)

Engee

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
There was also some talk about turning your head or taking a bite of something to turn back and find your indicator down. We found a sure fire way to get our indicator to disappear was what we called the "DIH"

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
This video in my opinion probably explains why most people think its the swivel getting eating vs their fly.....

That is quick. But if on a day you might be curious,, clip off your fly and tippet and flip the swivel out there alone under the indicator. It just might dance.

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
This video in my opinion probably explains why most people think its the swivel getting eating vs their fly.....

I’ve seen this video, and he makes an extremely important distinction when he mentions that the hooks are not attached.

Swivels are eaten, this is not really a debatable thing in my book.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I’ve seen this video, and he makes an extremely important distinction when he mentions that the hooks are not attached.

Swivels are eaten, this is not really a debatable thing in my book.
There are lotsa books out there and apparently it is debatable! We need footage a la Tom’s suggestion.