Prepare for the influx of dirtbags!

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I will troll a WB on a sinking fly line behind my lil' lake boat. Its gear fishing with a fly rod, but the fish on the reel is better than on a spinning reel. Imo.

I also admit to using a fly rod and beads for steelhead on the noochee. Its damn effective out of a boat.

2 dirtbag ways to use a fly rod while gear fishing.

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
This summer has been so disgustingly hot I'm contemplating firing up the flipping stick. Setting the hook with 65 pound braid for a big momma bass in shaded cover sounds fun to me and I haven't done it for 10+ years...

Plus I could post a report here😁....who tf am I anymore?
Hello darkness my old friend….Now we’re talking!

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Kinda disappointed I couldn't use my name from ifish and the pnwfishing forum... so formally known as "PnwChrome"
This has been fixed. We had some trolls trying to screw with us at one point, so we limit access to usernames with some words in them. "PNW" being one.

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Now that everyone is fessing up who is going to come forward and admit to combining fly gear and downriggers?

Now that I've got the gear I've been toying with the idea of running a dummy-flasher on on a downrigger an just clipping in my fly-rig to do some trolling once I'm done casting for the day. Downside = probably less effective than just running gear, upside = less gear to pack and less stuff in the boat.
Wouldn’t those clips damage your fly line?

All right, it looks like the site let me join :)
Nobody needs to know that I grew up flyfishing in Montana and still do it a few times a year.

And if you want to pretend you’re fly fishing with a downrigger, just use a Canadian style mooching rod. It is kinda fun.

Jagosh

Smolt
Welcome to all the new members.
I think most folks here started out gear fishing and many still enjoy it, including myself. Some of the best anglers I’ve ever met have never touched a fly rod.
Watching a bobber go down, twitching up a coho or watching a plug rod bury is a lot of fun. Its all fishing so it’s good by me.
SF
I’m one of them

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
who is going to come forward and admit to combining fly gear and downriggers?
Not me. I'm pure as the driven snow. Except when salmon fishing, of course. I have fly fished for salmon some, just not a lot. I guess I've formed some personal traditions over the years where fly fishing has its place (trout and steelhead), and bait fishing with conventional gear has its own place. I don't fish with downriggers, but I have a nice small collection of banana and cannonball lead weights up to 20 oz. The purist in me would like to troll spinners more than I do, but I instinctively reach for a herring or anchovy to rig as bait when my intent is to kill a salmon. And maybe that's the difference. I just don't have much interest in killing trout any more, although I do occasionally. But salmon, especially of the Columbia River spring or URB variety, or Columbia or Grays Harbor coho, I'm fishing for meat of the very best kind. Perhaps I should write an essay: "Confessions of a salmon snob." I also eat sockeye too; I'm not proud. Just particular. So long answer to the question, no, I don't and wouldn't fish fly fishing stuff on a downrigger. If I had a downrigger, that is.