Prepare for the influx of dirtbags!

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
I'd encourage the new folks to consider the 'New Posts' functionality as there are a lot of not-fishing or fishing-adjacent posts that are very valuable from gardening, bread making, to music and cars.

Also, there is the Salmon, Steelhead and Other Sea-runs forum that probably has a lot of cross-over interest for this group given some of the conservation-oriented discussions.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Fall coho tournament gear fishermen can only use flies and fly fisherman can use only gear. Winner gets bragging rights.
My money is on fly fairies using gear. I still need to get dialed on jig twitching, but I know how to fish spoons, spinners, and cure killer eggs.

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
This summer has been so disgustingly hot I'm contemplating firing up the flipping stick. Setting the hook with 65 pound braid for a big momma bass in shaded cover sounds fun to me and I haven't done it for 10+ years...

Plus I could post a report here😁....who tf am I anymore?

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Any of you fellow dirt bags ever use a meat rod setup for trolling for salmon, or am I dating myself?
SF
I once fished on a boat that had em. Did not understand the point, personally. It's basically just a downrigger that brings the fish up without a detachable rod from what I remember.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I once fished on a boat that had em. Did not understand the point, personally. It's basically just a downrigger that brings the fish up without a detachable rod from what I remember.

They were big before downriggers really came onto the scene and a very common way to fish the sound back then.
Not pretty and very clunky, but they put a lot of fish in the boat back in the day.
I still have my old Pflueger Pakron reel.
SF

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
They were big before downriggers really came onto the scene and a very common way to fish the sound back then.
Not pretty and very clunky, but they put a lot of fish in the boat back in the day.
SF
Yeah, I figured it was a relic of the beforetimes. Didn't ask too many questions about it at the time.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Only if you catch it, the coho that is. Bucktailing can be done with either a conventional gear rod or a fly rod. Maybe it's only fly fishing when trolled on a fly rod? Life can be so complicated. I try to keep my fishing simple.
Absolutely! My comment was purely in jest.
I never jest, those lances are too heavy and I can't ride a horse...

And don't call me Shirley...😁

BlackLabsMatter

Just Hatched

I used to fish the sound around Point Defiance for blackmouth, and would see quite a few of those. They seemed to be a great solution for a small cartopper, 12' aluminum boat, or whatever, where downriggers wouldn't really work.

They were effective.

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Any of you fellow dirt bags ever use a meat rod setup for trolling for salmon, or am I dating myself?
SF
I watched a video about that on YouTube, it looked like a cool way to put meat in the boat, and I was surprised at the bends big Kings put on those rods.

I know salmon trolling is a fishing technique that predates sport downriggers. Was all trolling done with meatlines back then?

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Anyone over here like to mooch? I know the folks who do are pretty diehard about it. I'm thinking about challenging myself to not troll for Coho at all this year, especially when they stack up thick at shipwreck