Prepare for the influx of dirtbags!

Chad D.

Smolt
I have a feeling there will be more new members coming soon, and this section may do some growing.

I’m currently a gear fisherman, so will likely cruise this section more than others. I look forward to getting to know you all and hope to meet you at the river/lake/ocean/tavern soon!

I’ll bet you lunch that some more like-minded dirtbags will be here shortly…

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Dirtbags welcome. Like I mentioned on the other site, plenty of us throw both flies and gear around here.

Flies will always be my first love. I just love the rhythm of casting, hitting a pocket for the right drift, swinging on a spey, etc. Casting dry flies for wild trout on a mountain creek is one of my true joys in life. I can't imagine doing it with a spinning rod.

But in recent years I've gotten pretty into fishing bass with gear. That opened up a whole world of places to fish for me as I'd never been much interested in lake fishing with the fly rod. This fall I'm going to commit to doing some salmon gear fishing for the freezer. And one of these days I suspect @Evan B will get me out on one of his tuna trips.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Dirtbags welcome. Like I mentioned on the other site, plenty of us throw both flies and gear around here.

Flies will always be my first love. I just love the rhythm of casting, hitting a pocket for the right drift, swinging on a spey, etc. Casting dry flies for wild trout on a mountain creek is one of my true joys in life. I can't imagine doing it with a spinning rod.

But in recent years I've gotten pretty into fishing bass with gear. That opened up a whole world of places to fish for me as I'd never been much interested in lake fishing with the fly rod. This fall I'm going to commit to doing some salmon gear fishing for the freezer. And one of these days I suspect @Evan B will get me out on one of his tuna trips.
Evan B wants to get you on more than just tuna trips. Start planning on coming down

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Evan B wants to get you on more than just tuna trips. Start planning on coming down
Well, fishing with you was part of the "commit to doing some salmon gear fishing for the freezer" bit also.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Welcome to all the new members.
I think most folks here started out gear fishing and many still enjoy it, including myself. Some of the best anglers I’ve ever met have never touched a fly rod.
Watching a bobber go down, twitching up a coho or watching a plug rod bury is a lot of fun. Its all fishing so it’s good by me.
SF

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Welcome to all the new members.
I think most folks here started out gear fishing and many still enjoy it, including myself. Some of the best anglers I’ve ever met have never touched a fly rod.
Watching a bobber go down, twitching up a coho or watching a plug rod bury is a lot of fun. Its all fishing so it’s good by me.
SF
Some of us were fly-only guys who then went to gear fishing.

Not sure who, though.
1690988239917.png

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Some of us were fly-only guys who then went to gear fishing.

Not sure who, though.
I hadn't fished a gear rod since I was too young to bait my own hook before I picked up some for bass fishing a few years back. I was 100% fly.

I think it just is a matter of keeping your mind open and giving stuff a try. Maybe your fisheries change, maybe your life changes, maybe you just need to find some new inspiration for your fishing. Nothing is going to replace flyfishing for me. But I'm not giving up my bass gear rods any time soon either.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
It's okay, @Billy is going to be trying to convince me to live the popper fly life for bass with him.

So I've got influences on both sides.
Hey, you saw some of them bass I blew up on poppers a couple months ago. I'm all 'bout it.

bobduck

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I was a dirtbag once but I outgrew it. But when I was a dirtbag we would go out to ball fields at night with a flashlight, coffee can and a half case of beer and go after the biggest nightcrawlers we could find. Then we discovered the joy of cow pastures and would flip the pies over and grab the really big crawlers we would call cobra heads. Then we would go into the hills east of Walla Walla and hunt the big bull trout up to 2 feet long and kill them and eat them. Then one day an old friend who couldn't fish anymore gave me a fly rod. It wasn't an instant cure but it got the healing process started. I still catch the occasional bull trout but now I release them unharmed and only mildly inconvenienced However, I don't look down on dirtbags as all fishing is good, It's just not my bag anymore.