Pizza oven thread

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
For anyone wanting to experiment with grill top pizza ovens, I think I have found a better alternative.

The company linked below makes custom sized cordierite slabs and posts. If you get 4 posts, a square slab and a round slab, you can build a little makeshift oven. I think there are 2 main benefits to this:

1. You can make it the exact size of your grill and get somewhat of a seal.

2. You can control how much insulation you have, relative to the output of your grill.

I suspect the product I bought would work better with more insulation. I also suspect that it would not work as well on grills larger than mine; I get a near perfect seal, where most of the heat must go through the “oven”. If I put it in the center of a 4 burner grill, a lot of the heat would go around the sides of the “oven”.

1690560995872.jpeg

Reactions: Zak

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Sushi is good.
Pizza is good.
Is there a sushi pizza?
I worked at a pizza spot in my teens. Once, I made a pizza with real thin crust. Rolled it up, almost as if making cinnamon rolls and put it in the oven at a relatively low temp so could cook all the way through and then Cut it into “sushi coins”. Closest I’ve ever gotten 🤷‍♂️

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I worked at a pizza spot in my teens. Once, I made a pizza with real thin crust. Rolled it up, almost as if making cinnamon rolls and put it in the oven at a relatively low temp so could cook all the way through and then Cut it into “sushi coins”. Closest I’ve ever gotten 🤷‍♂️
So you made a calzone and sliced it up. Cool :geek:

Last edited:

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
I don’t know, @krusty has been pretty consistent with his culinary preferences over the years. They lean toward things that come in a crinkly bag, a can, or that soak through paper so you can see through it. Not a damn thing wrong with that. But if ever I were to go camping him, I’d probably plan the meals. :)
I trust that the meals would consist of adult sized portions providing sufficient calories to fuel a 6'2" 225 lb glutton. In any event please don't ask me what I want because I don't care, but will emit happy grunting sounds while shoveling it in. Being in highly refined company I will attempt to suppress my customary belches and farts of appreciation.

Last edited:

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I trust that the meals would consist of adult sized portions providing sufficient calories to fuel a 6'2" 225 lb glutton. In any event please don't ask me what I want because I don't care, but will emit happy grunting sounds while shoveling it in.
DRIFT: We drove up to Grand Coulee Saturday to get garlic chicken pizza at Hometown Pizza - we had to drive 3/4 of a mile to the picnic area before we could start emitting those happy grunting sounds. (We think their pizza is seriously good.)

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Two week grill top pizza oven follow up…

We have used it 3 times and have cooked 12 pizzas. It works and is probably good enough for most people. If the goal is to not heat up the house, it will fulfill that need. However, I think the results are pretty much on par with what you can achieve with most kitchen ovens and a pizza stone. My grill just isn’t capable of getting the air hot enough and the “oven” doesn’t have enough insulation to capture it.

My wife and I were so enamored with our home made pizzas that we decided to invest in the product below. It has good reviews from YouTube pizza people that criticize most products. I’ll fire it up this weekend and come back here with a review.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Two week grill top pizza oven follow up…

We have used it 3 times and have cooked 12 pizzas. It works and is probably good enough for most people. If the goal is to not heat up the house, it will fulfill that need. However, I think the results are pretty much on par with what you can achieve with most kitchen ovens and a pizza stone. My grill just isn’t capable of getting the air hot enough and the “oven” doesn’t have enough insulation to capture it.

My wife and I were so enamored with our home made pizzas that we decided to invest in the product below. It has good reviews from YouTube pizza people that criticize most products. I’ll fire it up this weekend and come back here with a review.

Make sure you get a HD extension cord. The darn things pull between 2500 to 3500 watts and a 12 ga cord is recommended minimum.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Make sure you get a HD extension cord. The darn things pull between 2500 to 3500 watts and a 12 ga cord is recommended minimum.

Not sure where you got 2500-3500w from. It is rated at 1700w, so 14ga is sufficient.

Only 240v kitchen ovens draw the kind of power you’re talking about. I think you’re getting things mixed up.

Last edited:

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I was basing it on our Ninja Woodfire Grille

They also draw less than 1800w.

In most homes, more than half the circuits are 15a (1800w max), using 14ga romex. The others are 20a, using 12ga romex. However, even on 20a circuits, most of the outlets are often only 15a outlets.

It is very uncommon to find consumer electrical devices that draw more than 1800w. Devices that draw more than 15a have a special plug that guarantees they can only be plugged into a 20a outlet (on a 20a circuit). See attached images.

I should retract my earlier comment, saying that 14ga is sufficient; that’s not entirely accurate. Gauge requirements are relative to length. Up to 25ft, 14ga will handle 15a (1800w). Beyond that, you need 12ga or higher. My extension is only 15ft, so 14ga is fine. See attached chart.

You do raise an important issue; most folks are oblivious to all this and are one mistake away from burning down their house.

Attachments

• IMG_0458.jpeg
    IMG_0458.jpeg
    59.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0461.jpeg
    IMG_0461.jpeg
    205.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0462.jpeg
    IMG_0462.jpeg
    175.1 KB · Views: 4

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'm not sure what the state electrical code is presently, but when we built in 2009-10, the 15a circuits are for lighting, and all wall outlets are 20a, both the receptacle and the circuit breaker. You bring up a really good point regarding extension cords. People are always using under-sized extension cords, like 16 gauge drawing too many amps over too long a length.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
I'm not sure what the state electrical code is presently, but when we built in 2009-10, the 15a circuits are for lighting, and all wall outlets are 20a, both the receptacle and the circuit breaker. You bring up a really good point regarding extension cords. People are always using under-sized extension cords, like 16 gauge drawing too many amps over too long a length.

AFAIK, there has never been a requirement for outlets to be on a 20a circuit. They SHOULD be, for obvious reasons. However, builders rarely care about how things should be; they would rather save $10 on romex.

Most of the “lighting” circuits, in my 2021 home, have at least one outlet. 20a circuits are only present in high usage areas, like the kitchen and garage. I’m pretty sure none of the outlets in my home are 20a, except maybe in the garage and laundry area.

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Took this off the back of my unit20230804_211359.jpg

Am going to dig into the instruction manual. I swear when I read it it mentioned 2500W or more. Might have been at start up/ preheat.

I found the 14 ga extension cord getting warm. Manual says use 12ga. Which I thought is what it was using. So replaced it with proper ga and no heating issues