Pizza oven thread

Grayone

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
How long does the oven take to heat up to cooking temperature?
Depends on style of oven, time of year, moisture content, wood split size, wood type. One to two hours. I preheat with a small fire a day or two before I need it. Mine has lots of thermal mass, thus cooks longer with no fire burning.

John Svahn

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Slight thread drift- this thread got me thinking about cooking in our wood stove. I cook on it a bit, but never in it. In the town we live, in interior Norcal, we are no longer allowed to have outdoor fire pits, Green Eggs, or outdoor ovens due to fire concerns. It would be cool to build an outdoor oven, but no go. So I just went down the internet a ways and found that people do put a grate and pizza stone IN THEIR WOODSTOVE, and go for it. Any first-hand experience with this here? People also put a cast iron on the woodstove coals to sear steaks. Fascinating. I guess I just figured those bricks in the stove are toxic, but maybe not. Also, I burn fir and pine, because that’s what’s around. What say you all?

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
Slight thread drift- this thread got me thinking about cooking in our wood stove. I cook on it a bit, but never in it. In the town we live, in interior Norcal, we are no longer allowed to have outdoor fire pits, Green Eggs, or outdoor ovens due to fire concerns. It would be cool to build an outdoor oven, but no go. So I just went down the internet a ways and found that people do put a grate and pizza stone IN THEIR WOODSTOVE, and go for it. Any first-hand experience with this here? People also put a cast iron on the woodstove coals to sear steaks. Fascinating. I guess I just figured those bricks in the stove are toxic, but maybe not. Also, I burn fir and pine, because that’s what’s around. What say you all?
Ok. This was well before the wood stove pizza craze, but we used our wood stove to do Dutch oven cooking when power was out and we wanted bread or desserts. We luckily had a long air tight stove we used to heat our house. So could toss a small 10" DO in the front. How our woodstove was designed we could've easily done a pizza stone and cooked in it, if they would've been available, or known, at the time. Like you we did a lot of cooking on top. I still have my parents Dutch oven (house oven, aka bean pot or one without legs) that they used as a crock pot they would leave on the dampened wood stove while we were in school and they were at work. Usually someone was always home due to our school schedules and my parents different work schedules. Ate a lot of stews, chili, etc out of that old DO.

Last edited:

et64

Smolt
Depends on style of oven, time of year, moisture content, wood split size, wood type. One to two hours. I preheat with a small fire a day or two before I need it. Mine has lots of thermal mass, thus cooks longer with no fire burning.
Wow, not quite as bad as I expected. I had thought about building an oven in my backyard a few years ago, but I expected a long lengthy heat up time which would preclude me from spontaneous pizza making. I ended up getting a Uuni pizza oven instead ... but still have to plan ahead of time when I make pizza since I proof my dough 24~48 hours in the fridge. :oops:

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Wow, not quite as bad as I expected. I had thought about building an oven in my backyard a few years ago, but I expected a long lengthy heat up time which would preclude me from spontaneous pizza making. I ended up getting a Uuni pizza oven instead ... but still have to plan ahead of time when I make pizza since I proof my dough 24~48 hours in the fridge. :oops:
Exactly, there’s no such thing as spontaneous pizza ;)