Pizza oven thread

Grayone

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
You can go cheap or expensive. The main thing to remember, door opening should be 63% of the dome height. No flu is needed, but the face of the oven will turn black. In early times they were called black ovens. In Gresham, with the rain, you would absolutely have to seal or cover the oven to keep masonry from absorbing water. Build away. It is not complicated.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I have always beena loaner for the most part but as I have been looking at properties in Klickitat County ( if our house ever sells) I have been looking mostly at places with a few acres and I do want an outdoor pizza oven and have really come to like the idea of outdoor entertaining. Huge if at this point but would love hosting a party for this site.

Grayone

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I loved yours, that's for sure. Though I have acreage, most of it is pastures, so need to optimize my living space. I was actually looking at designing a oven in front and smokehouse in back. It'll be built next to my complete, and covered, outdoor kitchen.
Jerry, check the Traditional ovens web page. Rado gives almost to much information.

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
Jerry, check the Traditional ovens web page. Rado gives almost to much information.
Thanks. I'll look into it.

I'm heading back to Europe after I retire. Going to show my wife my old stomping grounds. Am hitting up Italy and will look at some of their set ups too.

I've did some rough designs where I can vent some heat from oven side into smokehouse. Just slight since it's such a high heat. Plus take the underneath of the oven and built it up as the indirect heat source for the smokehouse for the lower heat where the heat from oven is where I want a much hotter smoke done.

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
It also can’t be said enough, I AM NOT a mason. I’m a designer, I sit at a computer. And while it’s not perfect, it’s pretty damn cool and truly most any of you can do it.
Masonry isn't that hard on small projects. It's when you get into multi story that you can go astray really quick and mess up. There were a lot of things I hated growing up poor. We did everything and never hired out. Now did we do everything to county code? Probably not. 😆 But houses I helped build are still standing strong 30-40 years later.

I will say though, some people can do things like this, some just can't. It's not because it's hard, simply because they are good at the design, just not the follow through. Basically can't work with any type of manual labor tool.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Masonry isn't that hard on small projects. It's when you get into multi story that you can go astray really quick and mess up. There were a lot of things I hated growing up poor. We did everything and never hired out. Now did we do everything to county code? Probably not. 😆 But houses I helped build are still standing strong 30-40 years later.

I will say though, some people can do things like this, some just can't. It's not because it's hard, simply because they are good at the design, just not the follow through. Basically can't work with any type of manual labor tool.
Yeah I'm willing to give it a shot, but I don't think masonry is going to vibe with the way my brain works (or doesn't work if I'm being more honest). I do ok with wood projects, but the few times I've tried to lay patio and whatnot, I failed spectacularly and my wife took over.

I can work on engines, work on boats (hull, wiring, etc), work on cars and vehicles in general... but some things just don't click the same for me.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Yeah I'm willing to give it a shot, but I don't think masonry is going to vibe with the way my brain works (or doesn't work if I'm being more honest). I do ok with wood projects, but the few times I've tried to lay patio and whatnot, I failed spectacularly and my wife took over.

I can work on engines, work on boats (hull, wiring, etc), work on cars and vehicles in general... but some things just don't click the same for me.

The best part is, 90% of the work is covered in stucco. So as long as it’s structurally sound (ie your mortar mixes are correct) all you need to worry about aesthetically speaking is the design and final coat of stucco.

Grayone

Steelhead
Forum Supporter

Well, I can tell you that becoming a brick mason at age 64 on my oven was no fun!!

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend

Yup. Exactly my point. I'm a jack of all trades, master of none. That includes cooking. I can work wonders, and cook for crowds, but am I master chef? Not even close.

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
Well, I can tell you that becoming a brick mason at age 64 on my oven was no fun!!
I bet. I think a lot of learning something when you're older is you have too many life experiences in your head. I learned the basics as a young kid. My grandpa definitely wasn't a Mason, but he could build rock and brick structures. He made a pretty cool storehouse that was his fruit/vegetable cold storage. I've found that if I add anything new to my "skills" I don't recall it as well.

Grayone

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I bet. I think a lot of learning something when you're older is you have too many life experiences in your head. I learned the basics as a young kid. My grandpa definitely wasn't a Mason, but he could build rock and brick structures. He made a pretty cool storehouse that was his fruit/vegetable cold storage. I've found that if I add anything new to my "skills" I don't recall it as well.
Jerry, my father did masonry work. He told me on my build, I was a messy mason!
It was not the learning, it killed my hands, wrists and elbows.

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
Jerry, my father did masonry work. He told me on my build, I was a messy mason!
It was not the learning, it killed my hands, wrists and elbows.
Oh, yeah, that. 😆 I really sympathize with that. With all my permanent injuries/disabilities just being hunched over building my wife's planters put me in pain for a week. I've slowly been rebuilding my workshop so that all my benches I can work without hunching over. I know I rebuilt the floors in my wife's horse trailer and I could barely walk the next week.